Tulane's new football uniforms.....

tulanebc

I know that this has been said before, but I still find there 'T' logo with the wave to be in poor taste considering recent events. You'd think they'd make a more concerted effort to go back to the old wave logo from a decade or so ago in place of this 'T' crushed by wave of water logo.

I think the sensitivity about Katrina is a stretch. If that were the case, why not remove the blue in case someone were traumatized by the site of water? Or, maybe they should drop the Wave reference?

I think people are mature enough to deal with the symbolism as intended. Plus, it is a huge difference between an act of God and a human-initiated atrocity. You may feel that way, and I'm sorry if you do. However, it's safe to say the vast majority see it as a non-issue.

I think you might be giving people more credit than they deserve quite frankly. I'm not trying to perpetuate some kind of liberal attempt to change their identity, I'm just stating the obvious. And yes, UNFORTUNATELY the vast majority of people see it as a non-issue because we've all pretty much forgotten about that area because it doesn't dominate the news anymore even though its very much an issue in much of New Orleans....but I think I'm turning this thread down a place we don't want to go.

And BTW, they are called the GREEN Wave are they not? So what is the purpose of a BLUE wave? Thats actually the primary reason why I hate that logo. It makes ZERO sense to me to have it blue unless of course they are referring to the afore mentioned tragedy, which we all know they are not.

People haven't forgotten. And people care. But people also move forward because that is what you're suppose to do. Hell, it's not like money hasn't been poured into the city. With that said, I'm disappointed in your response. You wrapped your distaste for the aesthetics of the logo in the guise of it being "insensitive". The logo looks great. If you don't like the way it looks, you should have said so from the start. No need to exploit a tragedy to win people over to your opinion. Since the logo existed before Katrina, why spend money to change? If anything, the logo is something the city would rally around.

BTW, the wave is green. A seafoam green, but green nonetheless.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I know that this has been said before, but I still find there 'T' logo with the wave to be in poor taste considering recent events. You'd think they'd make a more concerted effort to go back to the old wave logo from a decade or so ago in place of this 'T' crushed by wave of water logo.

I think the sensitivity about Katrina is a stretch. If that were the case, why not remove the blue in case someone were traumatized by the site of water? Or, maybe they should drop the Wave reference?

I think people are mature enough to deal with the symbolism as intended. Plus, it is a huge difference between an act of God and a human-initiated atrocity. You may feel that way, and I'm sorry if you do. However, it's safe to say the vast majority see it as a non-issue.

I think you might be giving people more credit than they deserve quite frankly. I'm not trying to perpetuate some kind of liberal attempt to change their identity, I'm just stating the obvious. And yes, UNFORTUNATELY the vast majority of people see it as a non-issue because we've all pretty much forgotten about that area because it doesn't dominate the news anymore even though its very much an issue in much of New Orleans....but I think I'm turning this thread down a place we don't want to go.

And BTW, they are called the GREEN Wave are they not? So what is the purpose of a BLUE wave? Thats actually the primary reason why I hate that logo. It makes ZERO sense to me to have it blue unless of course they are referring to the afore mentioned tragedy, which we all know they are not.

The wave IS GREEN! It's just a very light shade of green with a BLUE outline:

Tulane_wave_logo_web.jpg

And I think you're reading WAYYYYYY too much into the logo and frankly, you're TRYING to make a connection between Katrina and the Tulane logo. I think it's a ridiculous "argument".

As for the unis......EXCELLENT!!! The ONLY thing I would change would be to remove the "Tulane" wordmark from the chest. Other than that, I LOVE the unis. A GREAT classic look. Thank god they got rid of the black!

gYH2mW9.png

People haven't forgotten. And people care. But people also move forward because that is what you're suppose to do. Hell, it's not like money hasn't been poured into the city. With that said, I'm disappointed in your response. You wrapped your distaste for the aesthetics of the logo in the guise of it being "insensitive". The logo looks great. If you don't like the way it looks, you should have said so from the start. No need to exploit a tragedy to win people over to your opinion. Since the logo existed before Katrina, why spend money to change? If anything, the logo is something the city would rally around.

BTW, the wave is green. A seafoam green, but green nonetheless.

Oh please, get off your high horse buddy. Don't speak down to me and try to take some higher road.

Its not like what I'm stating is so way off base that its 'shocking' or 'distasteful'. I've already heard atleast 20 people (who know nothing about logos) say the very same thing about this logo. Unlike many people on this board I'm not trying to "win over" people to accept my opinion. I could care less what the hell anyone thinks, my opinions remain unaffected by others thank you very much. My opinions and thoughts about this subject still remain the same.

The wave IS GREEN! It's just a very light shade of green with a BLUE outline:

Tulane_wave_logo_web.jpg

And I think you're reading WAYYYYYY too much into the logo and frankly, you're TRYING to make a connection between Katrina and the Tulane logo. I think it's a ridiculous "argument".

As for the unis......EXCELLENT!!! The ONLY thing I would change would be to remove the "Tulane" wordmark from the chest. Other than that, I LOVE the unis. A GREAT classic look. Thank god they got rid of the black!

I don't find the connection that much of a stretch or ridiculous. Its a very valid impression that is gotten from viewing the logo, whether or not it was intended, or sensible has nothing to do with it. This reminds me of that other thread about the new Sacremento State logo and how some people think is resembles a swastika. Its not a stretch if a number of people view it that way.

Sometimes logos have impressions or connections to things that the designers never intended. These impressions and connections are just as valid as the ones that were intended. We are dealing with a visual media that is viewed by many different types of people with varying takes on symbolism, this is nothing new in design.

I don't find the connection that much of a stretch or ridiculous. Its a very valid impression that is gotten from viewing the logo, whether or not it was intended, or sensible has nothing to do with it. This reminds me of that other thread about the new Sacremento State logo and how some people think is resembles a swastika. Its not a stretch if a number of people view it that way.

Sometimes logos have impressions or connections to things that the designers never intended. These impressions and connections are just as valid as the ones that were intended. We are dealing with a visual media that is viewed by many different types of people with varying takes on symbolism, this is nothing new in design.

I could understand your argument if this had been designed after the Hurricane Katrina business, but to get all up in arms about a logo that has been used for several years because of a vague at best connection to Katrina is, in my book, ridiculous.

People need to stop being so overly sensitive.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

Powersurge,

You admitted to the real reason behind your distaste for the logo, and you were called out for it. Just accept the fact the you were being deceitful. We've accepted the fact that you were being disingenuous to strengthen your position.

Besides, who's really going to be upset at the image of a green wave anyway?

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Oh please, get off your high horse buddy. Don't speak down to me and try to take some higher road.

Its not like what I'm stating is so way off base that its 'shocking' or 'distasteful'. I've already heard atleast 20 people (who know nothing about logos) say the very same thing about this logo. Unlike many people on this board I'm not trying to "win over" people to accept my opinion. I could care less what the hell anyone thinks, my opinions remain unaffected by others thank you very much. My opinions and thoughts about this subject still remain the same.

You just said it there...they know NOTHING about logos. Why change it based on the opinions of people who know nothing about the situation?

The school's athletic teams have been known as the "Green Wave" since at least the 1930's, if not earlier than that. I see no reason, whatsoever, hurricane or not, that this would be inappropriate or offensive.

gYH2mW9.png

You just said it there...they know NOTHING about logos. Why change it based on the opinions of people who know nothing about the situation?

The school's athletic teams have been known as the "Green Wave" since at least the 1930's, if not earlier than that. I see no reason, whatsoever, hurricane or not, that this would be inappropriate or offensive.

Because logos are not designed solely for other designers, they are designed for the general public. Therefore you don't have to be a member of this site to comment on logos....in case you've forgotten that fact. The opinions of the general public are just as valid as the so called 'experts' on this board.

Powersurge,

You admitted to the real reason behind your distaste for the logo, and you were called out for it. Just accept the fact the you were being deceitful. We've accepted the fact that you were being disingenuous to strengthen your position.

Besides, who's really going to be upset at the image of a green wave anyway?

On a side note to this overblown discussion....its funny that a Packer fan is giving a Bear fan crap. Nothing changes huh? :rolleyes:

Listen, I expressed my OPINION about the subject. I'm not petitioning for anything or running for office. I'm engaged in a discussion while some of you are engaged in an argument (as is so typical on this thread) Argue all you want. My opinion doesn't change and I'm not strengthening a thing, or could care less what you think. I wasn't called out for a damn thing.

The fact remains that I don't like the logo for two main reasons: the connotation of the logo and in essence, the design of it. The main crux of this 'argument' of yours is to disprove the idea that one can make the connection to the crashing wave in the logo and the Katrina incident. You waste so much energy with a holier than thou attack at a very simple connection. If you don't see it, then good for you. I see it, and others do too. C'mon now...Its not like I'm making a ridiculous statement like "The Moon Landings were staged" or that "9/11 was a gov't conspiracy".

If you want to continue attacking me and my character calling me deceitful then attack away if it makes you feel big and helps you sleep at night. I don't have time to waste on people like you. If you want to just part this ridiculous 'argument' and agree to disagree then thats fine and I welcome that. Balls in your court. My feelings of this subject remain unchanged.

Powersurge,

OK, look, when you post on a message board such as this, and decide to go into the minority on a topic (which I am glad that you did, I don’t agree with you, but I respect your thoughts) EXPECT SOMEONE TO SAY SOMETHING! Don’t give this bull crap “I don’t care what you think" Apparently you do, or you would not have posted time and time again.

Now, to the REAL Topic at hand (I better do this quick before I go on an anti politically correct rant! hahaha)

Great update, but I’d slim down the word mark and color the pants logo.

Other then that, its refershing, not seeing Nike throw on piping like addias not putting those stupid 3 stripes on Notre Dame's uniform.

I thought this thread was suppose to be about Tulane's Uniforms? :blink:

I wish there were a few more pics. I'll reserve judgement on the TULANE on the chest till I see them in full pads and in action. That being said, These uniforms are a tremendous improvemnt from the previous. As a TU alum I'm pretty happy.

Roll Wave!

NOLAbanner.jpg

If they make a powder blue alternate with green numbers and white trim, I'll buy one!

(That said, somebody photoshop this with said color scheme -- please!)

Here ya' go i'm not that good with Photoshop, yet but I'm working on it! Until then I hope that this soothes any cravings that you might have. I don't have their confrence logo to put on the other shoulder opposite the Nike logo and I didn't want to make 'TULANE' green with a white trim cause' I felt that it was just too much. Anyway, I think that overall it looks good for what they did and if given they put these out I think that I might have to get one myself!

CONCEPT81-TulaneBlueAlt.2008.png

Don't sweat the Photoshop skills--I'm awful at PS. But it's a cool look seeing a blue Tulane jersey. I think over the last decade (e.g., the Shaun King era), everyone forgot they even wore any shade of blue.

Lakers Dodgers Angels Kings Dolphins Galaxy Liverpool FC UC Santa Barbara USC Trojans UNLV Rebels

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody else given thought to Tulane using their UT logo?

Not familiar? go to http://tulane.edu/ to see what I'm talking about. Always thought this logo would look good on the helmet. The current T/wave logo is too "trendy" for me. Something they'll just change later.

Tulane's helmets used to be white with some form of the TU. This was in the late '70s and early '80s.

Tulane_OLD8.gif -- 1976-80

Tulane_OLD4.gif -- 1983, '84

Not an exact match to the logo on the Tulane academic site, but similar. For Tulane's unofficial helmet history, look here -- http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

Anybody else given thought to Tulane using their UT logo?

Not familiar? go to http://tulane.edu/ to see what I'm talking about. Always thought this logo would look good on the helmet. The current T/wave logo is too "trendy" for me. Something they'll just change later.

Quick and dirty mock-up of what I think you are envisioning:

Tulanenew.JPG

Sort of a reminiscent of Tulane's helmets from the late seventies and early 80s, but back then they had the "TU" in green and blue on a white helmet:

Tulane8.JPG

Regarding "trendy", Tulane seems to fit that category. Lord knows they sure have had a lot of different helmet designs over the last 40 years or so. The Helmet Project website illustrates quite a few, but I think even some recent ones are missing-- I seem to recall a year or two with a green helmet and a basic white "T".....

It is what it is.

Archived