SD Chargers Helmet

gueman

I saw the pics of the new Chargers helmets in action and...Ho-Hum. While I like the pearl coat idea it just doesn't seem pull it off on TV or in photos, and the yellow bolt is lost against the white. So I did a little playing around today, while I was watching the kids and here is what I came up with.

chargers1cc0808.png

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

The new set is flawed to be sure based on color use and orientation of elements. Unfortunately, this doesn't correct the problem. Plus, the numbers on the helmet really only helps a white helmet.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Guest darkpiranha
i love the new chargers helmets and unis i don't think they really NEED to be changed

You're absolutely right. Why is everyone making all these custom concepts when clearly, just about every single team already HAS a logo and uniform. People should only use their creativity to attempt to make new designs for teams that NEED it. If a team doesn't need a new logo or uniform, please don't waste your or our time by creating a custom design.

Another low-quality copy/paste job.

Next!

I have to say I agree. It's tough to browse the concepts board when half the threads are simple recolors, change a stripe here or there or just copy/paste jobs. We have some brilliant artists and designers on here. I'd like to see more unique concepts. I know I've been a guilty party to this sort of thing in the past and that's part of why I quit submitting concepts. I just don't have the talent that it takes to come up with a quality unique design so why waste everyone's time with a :censored:ty re-color or copy/paste job?

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Next!

I have to say I agree. It's tough to browse the concepts board when half the threads are simple recolors, change a stripe here or there or just copy/paste jobs. We have some brilliant artists and designers on here. I'd like to see more unique concepts. I know I've been a guilty party to this sort of thing in the past and that's part of why I quit submitting concepts. I just don't have the talent that it takes to come up with a quality unique design so why waste everyone's time with a :censored:ty re-color or copy/paste job?

Damn u guys are brutal. Look everyone may not be as talented as some..but damn give the guy some credit for just trying. I mean yeah the Chargers new unis are pretty nice, but stop being so :cursing: anal about certain things..geez!!!

Conceptually it was an idea worth trying. But I don't like it. Moreover, since when does lightning come from out of a clear blue sky? I don't like the navy, but the bolt looks more appropriate on a lot of other colors than sky blue. And the player number looks like you're reaching a little bit for another tenuous nod to the past. It's OK, but I am not crazy about it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Next!

Damn u guys are brutal. Look everyone may not be as talented as some..but damn give the guy some credit for just trying. I mean yeah the Chargers new unis are pretty nice, but stop being so :cursing: anal about certain things..geez!!!

Heh, if you knew me, you'd know I usually don't rip into concepts. However, I hope you realize I'm ripping the art, not the artist. Quality can be made without top-of-the-line software. Even I only use Photoshop 4.

I'm usually more lenient. Just be glad other posters haven't commented. CZ and I are nowhere near as critical.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I don't think it was low quality, not compared to some other stuff by certain people. It seemed clean enough to me. OK, definitely not high quality.

Anyway, I'm a Charger fan and I would not like that helmet because:

1) It would not go with the navy blue jerseys and white pants. Or with the white jerseys and navy pants. There isn't much powder blue in those uniforms, and the heavy use of light blue & gold, and absence of navy blue in your helmet wouldn't match. Not sure if you were thinking of a uniform change to go with it.

2) It wouldn't look as nice with the powder blue jerseys either. The white helmet, powder blue jerseys and white pants are a great looking, classic style combination. You change the helmet to match the jerseys and it looks like an Arena team.

3) I'm not crazy about the number on the helmet. It was right with the throwbacks, because they were depicting a classic era. But with these new tri-colored uniforms and modern font numbers, it just doesn't fit IMO.

Next!

Heh, if you knew me, you'd know I usually don't rip into concepts. However, I hope you realize I'm ripping the art, not the artist. Quality can be made without top-of-the-line software. Even I only use Photoshop 4.

I'm usually more lenient. Just be glad other posters haven't commented. CZ and I are nowhere near as critical.

It is comments like your first one that will piss people off and make them go away. I work with Photoshop 7 and was at the 1600% mag going pixel by pixel because of all the top notch pros like patsox that have taken over this board and will piss and moan about the smallest stuff. This wasn't meant to be a full blown presentation that was to handed off to the NFL it was a design exercise. A what if? Look I like C&C, and some of you are spot on. But why can some start threads that are recolors and get all kinds of "attaboys" then others are made to feel like a second rate prisoner at Gitmo. This wasn't meant to be a recolor either, but don't think you can improve on the bolt the Chargers have used, so it is what it is. I do think that the white helmet, which is a recolor, looks like crap.

I do take exception to you calling it "low quality", and I think Chris should too since the helmet came from this site. Please tell me how I can improve the quality?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I will admit that my original comment was unwarranted. All pathetic excuses aside, I was having a bad day. All quality aside, I think your helmet idea is a bit cluttered. Sticking a logo and a number on a helmet usually doesn't work out too well.

You do bring up an interesting point about the re-color debate: When is recoloring okay? When isn't it? In my opinion, recoloring is okay so long as it's just a current logo in different colors for kicks. Recoloring is not okay when you are making a new concept idea, such as your helmet, where you could put the elements together--facemask, logo, numbers--just as easily while spending, tops, ten extra minutes.

As for quality tips, eh, it's hard to say since I'm not experienced in the later versions of Photoshop. From what I've heard and gathered, though, you do have a couple of options should you go with recoloring again. I think you can learn to work with swatches--these provide better coloring plus take a lot less time. What I do, though, is try to separate the elements I want to color into layers. For example, the BC Lions unis I drew for Chris' site:

BC_beimqtjt1lgxegfdbd49.gif

I began with the blank template, marqueed all the shadowing (thus making it into a separate layer), again followed that same pattern for everything like jerseys, pants, or helmet. It took a while at first, but makes things a lot smoother and faster when I color for concepts.

I hope I didn't deter you from drawing again, because was not my intention. Keep going for it; it took me a while to learn all this stuff.

B)

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I will admit that my original comment was unwarranted. All pathetic excuses aside, I was having a bad day. All quality aside, I think your helmet idea is a bit cluttered. Sticking a logo and a number on a helmet usually doesn't work out too well.

You do bring up an interesting point about the re-color debate: When is recoloring okay? When isn't it? In my opinion, recoloring is okay so long as it's just a current logo in different colors for kicks. Recoloring is not okay when you are making a new concept idea, such as your helmet, where you could put the elements together--facemask, logo, numbers--just as easily while spending, tops, ten extra minutes.

As for quality tips, eh, it's hard to say since I'm not experienced in the later versions of Photoshop. From what I've heard and gathered, though, you do have a couple of options should you go with recoloring again. I think you can learn to work with swatches--these provide better coloring plus take a lot less time. What I do, though, is try to separate the elements I want to color into layers. For example, the BC Lions unis I drew for Chris' site:

BC_beimqtjt1lgxegfdbd49.gif

I began with the blank template, marqueed all the shadowing (thus making it into a separate layer), again followed that same pattern for everything like jerseys, pants, or helmet. It took a while at first, but makes things a lot smoother and faster when I color for concepts.

I hope I didn't deter you from drawing again, because was not my intention. Keep going for it; it took me a while to learn all this stuff.

B)

Fair enough and thank you! :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived