The 2007-08 European Football Thread

Fred T. Jane

OK folks, time to gather around and make fun of Tottenham Hotspur!

0-0-2, -3 Goal Difference, bottom of the league after a 3-1 loss to Everton today!

Let's let this be the centre of discussion for all European leagues, though I guess the bulk of discussion will be with the Barclay's Premier League, as well as Leeds United's quest to stave off relegation to Ian Hogsnort's Pub League, where matches are held in the yard behind Ian's pub, aptly named "The Hog's Trough."

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just really getting into soccer, and my favorite team is Arsenal (still pissed that Henry is gone, he is my favorite player) but didn't the season just end a month ago or something? Oh well Arsenal is 1-0 so all is well so far.

Here's to hoping Cristiano Ronaldo wins World Player of the Year.

P.s. does anyone know is Ballack is indeed header/already headed to Real?

Makes me glad I transfered him to Auckland last year. ^_^

/IFA banter

philly.png

I was thinking of a thread like this myself. Good call, Fred T. Jane.

Ballack most likely will not be headed to Madrid at all considering Los Blancos have already signed Wesley Sneijder who plays a similar role. I would get an away with Sneijder printing but Real's numbers this year are so damn ugly.

Liverpool's just about done sitting on their 0-1 away lead to Toulouse. Next up is today's Marseille match (just a few minutes away); a little depressing since they're still looking for their first goal of the season. Sign Gudjohnsen or Wiltord or somebody, you cheap bastards. Cisse can't be up front alone.

And the Premier League is garbage (mostly), so count on me to talk about other stuff.

EDIT: Oh my God, the most hilarious thing I've ever heard any sports commentator say ever:

Before the Marseille match, Miss France 2007 trots out on the pitch in a Valenciennes shirt and makes an exhibition pass to one of the players. The commentator is silent for a moment before saying: " Well, she's got a decent right foot... Among other things." I literally laughed out loud.

as well as Leeds United's quest to stave off relegation to Ian Hogsnort's Pub League, where matches are held in the yard behind Ian's pub, aptly named "The Hog's Trough."

Quick question...what's the record for furthest relegation of a team that played in England's top league and who was it?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Make no mistake, if we fall into the Hogsnort Unibond Doc Martens league, we will RIP IT TO SHREDS!

Besides, Carling Cup glory is OURS! :D

Anyways, let's all have a larf at Tottenham Hotspurts. Wankers.

And let's also have a larf at Cardiff City, where Pete Ridsdale still wants to "live the dream" when it comes to playing loose and fast with finances! Uh oh! $30 million in the hole?

as well as Leeds United's quest to stave off relegation to Ian Hogsnort's Pub League, where matches are held in the yard behind Ian's pub, aptly named "The Hog's Trough."

Quick question...what's the record for furthest relegation of a team that played in England's top league and who was it?

Are we talkin' Premier League era? Then it's probably Bradford City or the Wombles. I think Oldham was a premiership squad early on. League 2 drops are as far as it gets, I think.

Before the Premier League, you've got me.

Wimbledon. They got relegated to Milton Keynes. :P

And the Premier League is garbage (mostly), so count on me to talk about other stuff.

Finally someone speaks the truth.

Do either of you even watch soccer? To call the EPL garbage is ridiculous and laughable.

Yes. I watch and play soccer daily.

Perhaps my comment was a bit too harsh. There are so many different ways to play soccer and so many different preferences in watching it. There are times when Manchester United, Arsenal, and even Tottenham can be downright fun to watch, but the English game is in large part one of hard tackles, long balls, and crosses. There are times when this for me -- for me personally -- gets a bit tedious.

I will gladly admit that the top English teams are, in the most objective sense, decidely not garbage, especially in recent years when they have been very competitive amongst each other and on the greater European stage. I certainly didn't mean to say that the English Premier League is completely worthless to everyone. I do watch the important matches, but if Lyon or Bayern (I'll discount Marseille, since I'm biased) are playing in the same time slot, I'd much rather watch that.

So, what's bad about a good hard legal tackle?

The same thing that's bad about long balls -- I don't enjoy watching them for the majority of ninety minutes. I like to see skill (not in the sense of crazy stepovers) in the sense of well-directed dispossesions, accurate passing, and a crisp shot at the end of it all.

So, what's bad about a good hard legal tackle?

The same thing that's bad about long balls -- I don't enjoy watching them for the majority of ninety minutes. I like to see skill (not in the sense of crazy stepovers) in the sense of well-directed dispossesions, accurate passing, and a crisp shot at the end of it all.

I agree 100% despite my love for the EPL.

untitled-6.jpg

Before the Premier League, you've got me.

Oxford United are currently in the "Blue Square National" formerly the Conference.

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

Archived