The 2007-08 European Football Thread

Fred T. Jane

Quick question...what's the record for furthest relegation of a team that played in England's top league and who was it?

Before the Premier League, you've got me.

Oxford United are currently in the "Blue Square National" formerly the Conference.

If you wanna be specific there are a bunch of clubs that dont even exsist anymore. But Oxford might be one of the best known candidates.

1zqy8ok.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quick question...what's the record for furthest relegation of a team that played in England's top league and who was it?

Before the Premier League, you've got me.

Oxford United are currently in the "Blue Square National" formerly the Conference.

If you wanna be specific there are a bunch of clubs that dont even exsist anymore. But Oxford might be one of the best known candidates.

If you mean Accrington , Glossop , Bradford PA etc these are reformed or unassociated clubs.

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

I'm just really getting into soccer, and my favorite team is Arsenal (still pissed that Henry is gone, he is my favorite player) but didn't the season just end a month ago or something? Oh well Arsenal is 1-0 so all is well so far.

Well, Arsenal did look bloody awful for most of the Fulham game (couldn't finish to save their lives, very nearly gave up two own goals, and of course Lehmann's gaffe in the first minute - and this is coming from a fellow Gunners fan, mind you), but still managed to come away with three points, and without Henry no less. While they'll have to get their :censored: together quick to get a sniff of the title, they did beat a team that they should have beaten. Their repeated failure to do so last season is really what cost them the Premiership title. As long as they can keep this up consistently, and hold their own against the rest of the "Big Four", the Gunners should be fine this year, with or without Henry.

CCSLC signature.png

Liverpool won their first league opener in 5 years over Aston Villa, a beautiful free kick by Gerrard won it in the 86th minute.

...after he tripped over a blade of grass.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Oh god, what a shot! That was labelled! You have to respect Gerrard! He's the Joe Sakic of football!

Take out the hockey reference and you may well be Andy Gray. ;)

Marseille lost by the way, 2-1, but I'm at least content that Algerian Karim Ziani scored the season's first goal.

-9. We will rape and pillage League One. They've never seen the fortress that is Elland Road and 25k madmen singing Marching On Together in unison.

The only way we're playing Bradford next season is if the FL tacks on another 15 point penalty - and i'd bet it'd still come down to the wire!

-9. We will rape and pillage League One.

Not like that's anything new for Leeds... ^_^

Bielefeld draws with Eintracht Frankfurt 2-2. Played like crap for an hour, scored 2 goals in 10 minutes, and then coughed up the points in the last 10 minutes of the game. *sigh*

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Bad server! bad!

Life is over for me. First Toronto can't score a goal to save their lives. I come home from the game to find out that Lyon lost to F***ing Lorient 2-1. Ughhhhh at least France beat England in rugby.

Well, what do you expect when you sell your best playmaker?

Life is over for me. First Toronto can't score a goal to save their lives. I come home from the game to find out that Lyon lost to F***ing Lorient 2-1. Ughhhhh at least France beat England in rugby.

Well, what do you expect when you sell your best playmaker?

To replace him with someone else like we've done the past two seasons :P

1zqy8ok.gif

Lyon's season looked to be off to the perfect start, winning the first league game in fine fashion after sweeping every trophy available to them in preseason. Now, not so much. Unfortunately, Marseille haven't the firepower to capitalize. And Kim Kallstrom will have no problem filling Malouda's shoes; don't worry about that.

And speaking of all the raping and pillaging, don't know if anyone watched it, but Bremen 0 - 4 Bayern. Incredible counter-attacking by Bayern for the middle two goals; the first was a penalty, the last a marvelous shot by late substitute Andreas Ottl that caught the Bremen defense off guard.

Boy, did this thread die.

Anyways, all the dominoes have fallen, and overnight "it" (many its, in fact) finally happened. Chelsea solved their right back crisis bringing in Brazilian Beletti from Barcelona. This signals the end of their interest in Daniel Alves for the time being. Moving the other direction at Stamford Bridge was Arjen Robben, for whom Real Madrid have finally had their bid accepted, and Gabriel Heinze is now a Galactico as well. Phew.

And Kasey Keller was bought by Fulham. That makes four Americans and an Algerian, so they may have a new supporter.

Boy, did this thread die.

Anyways, all the dominoes have fallen, and overnight "it" (many its, in fact) finally happened. Chelsea solved their right back crisis bringing in Brazilian Beletti from Barcelona. This signals the end of their interest in Daniel Alves for the time being. Moving the other direction at Stamford Bridge was Arjen Robben, for whom Real Madrid have finally had their bid accepted, and Gabriel Heinze is now a Galactico as well. Phew.

And Kasey Keller was bought by Fulham. That makes three Americans and an Algerian, so they may have a new supporter.

Actually, they have four Americans if you count the injured Brian McBride (along with Bocanegra, Dempsey, and Keller).

QPR%20Sig.png

In other news, Everton forced out to the suburbs in Kirkby and as the Reds become the true city team.

LFC needs to fall into a hole in the Earth and never come back. I've always seen Everton as the classier Merseyside, well, side. Relatively speaking, of course. ;)

Archived