The 2007-08 European Football Thread

Fred T. Jane

Boy, did this thread die.And Kasey Keller was bought by Fulham. That makes three Americans and an Algerian, so they may have a new supporter.

Actually, they have four Americans if you count the injured Brian McBride (along with Bocanegra, Dempsey, and Keller).

Duly edited. Bocanegra slipped my mind for that moment.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In other news, Everton forced out to the suburbs in Kirkby and as the Reds become the true city team.

LFC needs to fall into a hole in the Earth and never come back. I've always seen Everton as the classier Merseyside, well, side. Relatively speaking, of course. ;)

classier scouser? If that's not an oxymoron... :D Classy being that they'll just nick your wallet and avoid the whole pipe-to-the-head unpleasantry.

classier scouser? If that's not an oxymoron... :D Classy being that they'll just nick your wallet and avoid the whole pipe-to-the-head unpleasantry.

Of course, and most Toffee supporters I know don't look at hubcaps lustingly. :D

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Rangers, Lazio, and Liverpool are all through to the Group Stage after winning their draws this evening (0-0, 1-3, and 4-0, respectively).

The Sevilla-AEK Athens match was postponed because of the tragic death of Midfielder Antonio Puerta, who collapsed on the field Sunday after having a heart attack. In addition, the UEFA Super Cup on Wednesday between Sevilla and AC Milan will probably be postponed.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Some crazy American guy started writing a blog about the German side Arminia Bielefeld, and he just published an article about one of Bielefeld's adventures in the USA. I figured I'd share that with you. ;)

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/die-blauen-blo...red-one-on-them

Of course, and most Toffee supporters I know don't look at hubcaps lustingly. :D

The great thing about the Merseyside rivalry is that there is honestly little difference between the supporters, at least traditionally. Nothing divides the fans really... geography, economics, religion, family lines etc. Except now the Everton fans have just turned bitter (oh so bitter) over the last 2 decades as a genuine gap appeared between the clubs as they both lost ground to Man Utd and the bigger London clubs.

liverpool-1.png

I normally don't care about the Women's World Cup (Go ahead and call me Sepp Blatter.), but Germany beat Argentina 11-0 in the tournament's opening game today. Birgit Prinz and Sandra Smisek each scored hat tricks for Germany, and Argentinian Vanina Correa achieved a rare own-goal-brace, scoring the first and last goals of the game at the wrong end.

Let's let this be the centre of discussion for all European leagues, though I guess the bulk of discussion will be with the Barclay's Premier League, as well as Leeds United's quest to stave off relegation to Ian Hogsnort's Pub League, where matches are held in the yard behind Ian's pub, aptly named "The Hog's Trough."

Well, it looks like Leeds United has already recouped the 15 points they were docked, and with last Friday's 3-0 win over Bristol Rovers, they actually have points to their name on the season. If not for the ownership situation, these guys would be at the top of the League One table...

QPR%20Sig.png

Let's let this be the centre of discussion for all European leagues, though I guess the bulk of discussion will be with the Barclay's Premier League, as well as Leeds United's quest to stave off relegation to Ian Hogsnort's Pub League, where matches are held in the yard behind Ian's pub, aptly named "The Hog's Trough."

Well, it looks like Leeds United has already recouped the 15 points they were docked, and with last Friday's 3-0 win over Bristol Rovers, they actually have points to their name on the season. If not for the ownership situation, these guys would be at the top of the League One table...

Not only that, we have the 13th highest average attendance in all the football league right now. It has been an absolute dream start to the season, Beckford & Kandol are the class strike partnership in League 1, and Dennis Wise has been outstanding as gaffer.

As far as competition, Leyton Orient seems to be on a roll of their own. Let's see if they have the depth to keep up the charge. Nottingham Forest, I truly expected better from them up to this point - they're playing below their talent level (something i'm accustomed to seeing over the past few seasons as a Leeds fan).

Yes baby! Marseille won, for once, so I was very pleased this afternoon. Wasn't able to watch the match, but I can't wait to see the highlights.

Tomorrow sounds very exciting, with Arsenal - Sevilla and Barcelona - Lyon (good luck Break-Wood) headlining the evening. Lyon are coming of a 5-1 thrashing of Metz in which Karim Benzema (Algerian! But plays for France.) scored a hat trick in the first half, followed up by Hatem Ben Arfa (Tunisian!), and the free-kick master Juninho Pernambucano.

Anyone catch the North London Derby (Tottenham-Arsenal) this past weekend? The Spurs were up most of the match, then some idiot Spurs fan decided to charge onto the pitch just as Cesc Fabregas badly missed a free kick. After security hustled the fan away, the ref gave Fabregas a do-over, and this time he nailed it straight to Emmanuel Adebayor right in front of the net, and Adebayor put it in like shooting fish in a bucket. 15 minutes later Fabregas put one in himself, and it was all over except for, well, one more Gunners goal near the tail end of stoppage time.

Now Arsenal is off to an undefeated Premiership start and will probably stay that way this weekend at home against lowly Derby. Meanwhile I see they just crushed Sevilla of Spain in the Champions' League preliminaries. No Henry, no problem.

CCSLC signature.png

Chelsea's manager left the team, apparently.

Ooh, Soccernet has proof. Wow.

Dang...puts a whole new perspective on "What have you done for me lately?"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, Tottenham has their chance to take 4th... though not at Arsenal's expense! :P

BTW, 3-0 Arsenal in today's match. Simply dominant.

Storylines of the Weekend:

Arsenal continues to roll

Chelsea in crisis

Liverpool drop points (again)

Arminia Bielefeld gets thwacked at Schalke

Marseille 1 point out of the drop zone in Ligue 1

Dutch clubs top the B!PL after Week 1

Archived