Cards-Brewers Throwing back to 1982

STL FANATIC

Either way, they've both sucked so far. But I tend to put the blame more on Majestic than the Cardinals. I'd even put it on the Brewers more than the Cardinals. No, not because I'm unwilling to blame the Cardinals, but because it's not been their throwback nights, and I doubt they did much more than agree to wear some jerseys supplied to them. Had they worn such inaccurate jerseys at home, then I'd lay some heavy blame on them.

So I suppose its Milwaukee's fault that Budweiser tastes like piss, too, huh? :P

Blasphemy.

Also, I should note that the Cardinals Brendan Ryan wore his pants up showing his socks (as he always does). I can't find a photo.

It was interesting, because in the 1980s, most players seemed to only wear their pants a LITTLE high, so the stirrup stripe showed but not the Cardinals sock stripes. Ryan had his high enough to show the sock stripes (again, as he always does).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Either way, they've both sucked so far. But I tend to put the blame more on Majestic than the Cardinals. I'd even put it on the Brewers more than the Cardinals. No, not because I'm unwilling to blame the Cardinals, but because it's not been their throwback nights, and I doubt they did much more than agree to wear some jerseys supplied to them. Had they worn such inaccurate jerseys at home, then I'd lay some heavy blame on them.

So I suppose its Milwaukee's fault that Budweiser tastes like piss, too, huh? :P

No, that's because they make it with rice.... :P

You're the best. Had the Brewers given the Cards bright pink jerseys with green polka dots, and the Cardinals wore them, whose fault would have been? But let me ask you this, even though the logo isn't 100 percent, those Cardinals throwbacks are the best looking throwbacks in the history of all time, right? I just want to be sure.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yah, despite the white outline and the minor trim sizings, its nice to see the cards in powder blue. Thats all I saw them in during my formative years and I think its something that they and the royals should consider bringing back in an alternate basis.

You're the best. Had the Brewers given the Cards bright pink jerseys with green polka dots, and the Cardinals wore them, whose fault would have been? But let me ask you this, even though the logo isn't 100 percent, those Cardinals throwbacks are the best looking throwbacks in the history of all time, right? I just want to be sure.

Seriously?

I know it's neato to bash me for homerism, but you don't think I have a point here?

The Brewers set up a throwback night. The Cardinals agree to participate. Come a couple of days before the game the Cardinals recieve their jerseys. They may or may not notice and/or care about the innaccuracies, but regardless, they don't really have time to order a new set. Besides, it's not their throwback night, so what do they care if it's not perfectly accurate. Makes perfect since to me.

A leaguewide throwback night or something would be different. But a night that was clearly setup by one team is their responsibility.

And your exaggerated sarcasm is just stupid. You're trying too hard now. Of course if the Cardinals agreed to wear something so obviously dumb and wrong like pink jerseys with green polka dots, but are you telling me you think the things they wore last night were that off or that ugly?

And no. All it takes is a little reading comprehension from you earlier in the thread to know that I hated the throwbacks they wore last night.

But never miss a chance to maybe possibly sorta call me a homer. You're a great poster, Gitlin.

I'm raising an actual question here about who's responsibility the jerseys are, with a very reasonable theory. You'd be better off participating in the discussion than using poor sarcasm to rip on posters. But I guess we all have to do what we're good at (and there's some irony for ya.)

Oh, it just cracks me up. Yes, the pink polka dots analogy was weak, but come on...the Cardinals are absolved of ALL responsibility simply because they were "probably" handed jerseys when they showed up in Milwaukee? They don't have a uniform manager that may have been in charge of putting things together? It seems a bit far-fetched to me that a Major League Baseball team wouldn't create its own uniforms, or that one team would expect another team to go to the expense of creating uniforms for them.

I think what's more likely is that the Cardinals put together throwback jerseys but decided that the current logo was close enough to the old one, or lost the artwork, or simply didn't care. But even bringing up whose fault it was for the incorrect logo -- and saying it most definitely wasn't the Cardinals' -- is raising an argument that doesn't need to be raised.

Teams constantly flub their throwback uniforms. Almost uniformly, we castigate the teams as being responsible for what they screw up. Not the manufacturers, not the teams they play against, not Martians in spaceships, but the teams themselves. I think that makes the most sense. I also think it's terrific -- I really do -- that you are always so willing to defend the greatness of St. Louis teams. It's a quirk and welcome addition to this board. Just like I will never miss a chance to call you a homer. It makes me smile.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Actually, Gitlin, I've been GENUINELY under the impression that manufacturers are usually the ones blamed for throwback mishaps.

Hence why, as another poster pointed out, when the Cards went powder blue a few years ago, M&N got them right. But Majestic has twice made similar mistakes on throwbacks for the Cards this year.

No doubt the Cardinals COULD have made sure things were right, but I don't think they were the ones that made the mistakes. They just didn't make sure they were fixed.

Maybe blaming the Brewers is a stretch, but I don't think it's that much of one.

Really, what is the point of doing a throwback night if it is going to be half-a$$ed like this? For kids too young to see the teams play in the original unis? First, the manufacturers clearly don't know what they are doing, or are simply doing it on the cheap, which consequently looks cheap. Second, the players are not "participating" when they wear their pants so long. It is not like showing socks will slow down a runner or expose too much leg and tush (ala' NBA short shorts). I'd rather they didn't do these anymore if this is the quality put on the field.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

On a somewhat unrelated note, I've never seen one team give so much attention to a 25 year old PENNANT. I mean, come on.

1 - It's the only thing that the team has ever won, and the players from that team are beloved in Milwaukee

2 - It ties in well with the presumed testing of that era's uniform as a possible design change in the future.

Please note - I'm not arguing with you :D

It's where I sit.

From Uniwatch:

"Actually, I know whose idea it was: I?d been told a while back that the Brewers ordered up the uniforms this way (the home team is usually in charge of both sets of unis for throwback games) and refused to budge even when the problems were brought to their attention by people in the Cardinals? offices. Lame-o, Brew Crew."

I think STLFanatic was pretty much right on on blaming the Brewers more than the Cardinals. But because of them being right in the past when done by M&N, I bet it was Majestic more so and the Brewers refusing to press the issue.

But this is being taken way out of context....there are mistakes in just about every single throwback there is. Including the brewers ones (no MLB logo on neck).

Its a shame that the Cardinals were the ones who wore the light blue. There are only two teams that could ever successfully pull off the light blue away jersey....Kansas City and Milwaukee. All other teams need to take their powder blues and tuck them far far away into their past. That goes for you too Philadelphia!

Why do some of you people want to see men in tight uniforms? That?s creepy.

Anyway the Brewers actual messed up their own uniforms. They helmets they wore looked like this that season.

gthomasmil.JPG

Iknow it is the road uniform, but they wore the same helmets at home.

wwwaufderaxemo2.jpg

I only come around here once in a while to annoy you people, and by people I mean you mutha :censored:as.

Could well be, but who posted that comment?

Remember: not everything on the Internets is true. We have several people here on these boards making, shall we say, dubious assertions of fact....

Looking at UniWatch, it was straight from Paul Lukas, Goth.

So, THERE, Gitlin. :P

Homer or not, it appears I may have nailed this one. (Not that we can say for sure. I'm just saying...)

Its a shame that the Cardinals were the ones who wore the light blue. There are only two teams that could ever successfully pull off the light blue away jersey....Kansas City and Milwaukee. All other teams need to take their powder blues and tuck them far far away into their past. That goes for you too Philadelphia!

Early '80s Expos!!!! Oh, they don't exist any more.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Could well be, but who posted that comment?

Remember: not everything on the Internets is true. We have several people here on these boards making, shall we say, dubious assertions of fact....

Looking at UniWatch, it was straight from Paul Lukas, Goth.

So, THERE, Gitlin. :P

Homer or not, it appears I may have nailed this one. (Not that we can say for sure. I'm just saying...)

I've got no reason to not believe that.

Once again, I'm a dope.

Archived