LV IronPigs Unis unveiled

Backdraft

I'm completely blown away by this uniform set. With a name like Iron Pigs, and with the logo and wordmarks I'd seen so far, I was expecting a crappy-to-mediocre mid-90s style of uniform. And in a way, this kind of is a bit of a mid-90s piece of work. But somehow the elements are working for me. Love the home and away jerseys. The road cap is a thing of beauty; if I lived in Las Vegas I would buy a box of those LV caps right now just be be sure I didn't run out in the next decade. And the metallic robo-pig face that I don't much like as a logo seems to work nicely on the home cap. The sculptural dimensionality of the thick stitching is perfect. That should probably become the official ballcap of baseball-fan Harley riders.

I expect a minor-league team to take some risks with its design, and to let a little whimsy shine through the market-tested design work, and this is a good example on both fronts. Not an entirely successful uniform package in my book, but still a strong effort and a definite passing grade. Oh, and major points for actually wearing a cap with the local initial(s). I think it's a sin, and in fact a failure of civic duty, for ballclubs not to wear and sell caps that represent their locality in addition to the team nickname. I'd give this a solid B, maybe even B-plus. And as for exceeding expectations, this is top-notch work.

20082614447.png

does anyone know why the mascot logo has the number 26 on it?

Someone mentioned over at Uniwatchblog that Iron is #26 on the periodic table. That sounds like a good reason for that number.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

does anyone know why the mascot logo has the number 26 on it?

Someone mentioned over at Uniwatchblog that Iron is #26 on the periodic table. That sounds like a good reason for that number.

Iron is the 26th Element. I am a science teacher I really should have figured that one out.

I'm completely blown away by this uniform set. With a name like Iron Pigs, and with the logo and wordmarks I'd seen so far, I was expecting a crappy-to-mediocre mid-90s style of uniform. And in a way, this kind of is a bit of a mid-90s piece of work. But somehow the elements are working for me. Love the home and away jerseys. The road cap is a thing of beauty; if I lived in Las Vegas I would buy a box of those LV caps right now just be be sure I didn't run out in the next decade. And the metallic robo-pig face that I don't much like as a logo seems to work nicely on the home cap. The sculptural dimensionality of the thick stitching is perfect. That should probably become the official ballcap of baseball-fan Harley riders.

I expect a minor-league team to take some risks with its design, and to let a little whimsy shine through the market-tested design work, and this is a good example on both fronts. Not an entirely successful uniform package in my book, but still a strong effort and a definite passing grade. Oh, and major points for actually wearing a cap with the local initial(s). I think it's a sin, and in fact a failure of civic duty, for ballclubs not to wear and sell caps that represent their locality in addition to the team nickname. I'd give this a solid B, maybe even B-plus. And as for exceeding expectations, this is top-notch work.

you do know the LV stands for Lehigh Valley...right? The cities of Allentown/Bethlehem/and Easton make up the Lehigh Valley.

... if I lived in Las Vegas I would buy a box of those LV caps right now just be be sure I didn't run out in the next decade.

you do know the LV stands for Lehigh Valley...right? The cities of Allentown/Bethlehem/and Easton make up the Lehigh Valley.

I would have thought that would have gone without saying. As would the fact that Las Vegas's initials are the very same letters L and V as Lehigh Valley. If I lived in a city whose baseball team did not wear caps with my city's initials on it, I would look around for another team's cap with those initials to wear. In the case of LV, to the best of my knowledge the Iron Pigs are now the only option. That's all I was saying.

20082614447.png

... if I lived in Las Vegas I would buy a box of those LV caps right now just be be sure I didn't run out in the next decade.

I would have thought that would have gone without saying. As would the fact that Las Vegas's initials are the very same letters L and V as Lehigh Valley. If I lived in a city whose baseball team did not wear caps with my city's initials on it, I would look around for another team's cap with those initials to wear. In the case of LV, to the best of my knowledge the Iron Pigs are now the only option. That's all I was saying.

got ya, just making sure, i agree with you're statement too.

Yes, Ottawa is moving to Allentown, PA

Why the hell would anyone want to move to Allentown, Pennsylvania? I lived there for 67-1/2 excruciating months back in 1998 -- the place is an absolute pit!

Holy hell! I thought 1998 felt like a long year, but I had no idea that, in reality, it was just a little over 5.5 years wrapped into one. I want my time back!

4. You don't have to pay for passports anymore.

5. Lose the sig.

Good point.

And I happen to still be reveling in TheRedArmy's demise, so... just a little longer.

He may have been referring to our boy (and my namesake) AndrewG's sig...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived