Jose Offerman strikes players with bat

Shumway

I agree that the ball should be considered as a weapon as much as a bat. The Umpires sometimes don't let it pass. I watched a game once where a pitcher hit 2 different players. The first one headed to 1st base. When he hit the 2nd player, the ump threw the pitcher out of the game because he felt that one was intentional. The point is you can easily feel when it's intentional or not.
Wasn't by any chance John Lannan's first start, where he hit Chase Utley and Ryan Howard back to back, was it?

And for what it's worth, what about the joke of what Michael Jackson and Jose Offerman have in common?

LvZYtbZ.png

In the AL, the pitcher doesn't bat. So, "Policing the game" is allowing pitchers to continue to throw at batters?? Sorry, if I buy it. The guy throwing the ball is not getting drilled in retaliation. There are other situations where there are batters who get drilled in the head by a pitcher. So, the other pitcher is supposed to drill yet another guy in the head whos not ieven involved? I'm not going to be convinced that getting clubbed with a bat is more harmful than a 95 mph pea to the head... or face. The batting helmet is not an excuse to say it's OK for a pitcher to hit a guy up high. I just don't get why the bat is considered a weapon (and inexcusable)... yet the ball is not?

This specific scenario may not be flagrant. I guess I'm talking more about the cases involving intent by the pitcher. There are pitches that get away, sure. But, these b*tches who drill a guy because the batter hit a HR the previous at bat have to learn to be a man and suck it up.

Well...baseball can always suspend them for five games. Which means they get an extra day of rest...which means that the punishment is useless.

(Yes, I took that from Rome.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, that marks the first time that Offerman hit something hard on two consecutive swings.
...said Keith Olbermann on last night on Countdown. Nice thievery. :D
Can't say I'm not a fan of the show.

Fair enough but it's still not cool to thieve a line and not give the credit for it. Especially when you're quoting it verbatim.

BB52Big.jpg

Nobody posted a clip of the incident on youtube yet, surprised. :huh:

Wasn't by any chance John Lannan's first start, where he hit Chase Utley and Ryan Howard back to back, was it?

Sorry I don't remember which team it was.

Finally... it happened. It a crazy thing that it is "Acceptable" for a pitcher to throw a 95 MPH fastball at the batter... But don't you DARE turn the table and swing the bat on him! ?? It has to stop. Pitchers can NOT continue to drill guys. Maybe this will make the pitcher think next time before drilling someone. I'm not as upset as others. I think it's sickening that a pitcher can hit people and is basically protected. The ball is a weapon just as much as the bat is.

Wasn't there a scenario years ago that a batter got "buzzed" by the pitch. Then the next pitch he happened to (ahem) lose his grip and "buzzed" the pitcher with the bat?

I think I read that Carl Furillo of the Dodgers use to throw the bat. He son was quoted as saying that his father didn't like getting hit and would "let the bat fly" if he felt he was beaned intentionally.

Pitchers hitting batters gets really old. Sometimes it is acceptable, but only if the player is showing off big time. With Offerman, what should the pitcher have expected. Your trying to hurt someone holding a bat. Not really a smart move.

Archived