Blue Mets Uni?

Brian E

The Mets identity pays homage to the Brooklyn Dodgers (blue) and the New York Giants (black).

It's actually the Dodger Blue, Giants Orange, and Yankee Pinstripes that made up the uniform. There was no black until 1998...and then they re-colored their logo as an alternate for 1999-Present...

I don't think the pinstripes were to represent the Yanks, I think they were just there. Why would an NL expansion team take colors from the city's 2 former NL teams and use the pinstripes from their counterparts, the AL club?

If it were up to me, I'd have the Mets either wear this from 1987, minus the racing stripes and with a button-down jersey:

nl_1987_newyork.gif

or this from 1993-1994:

nl_1993_newyork.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Mets identity pays homage to the Brooklyn Dodgers (blue) and the New York Giants (black).

It's actually the Dodger Blue, Giants Orange, and Yankee Pinstripes that made up the uniform. There was no black until 1998...and then they re-colored their logo as an alternate for 1999-Present...

I don't think the pinstripes were to represent the Yanks, I think they were just there. Why would an NL expansion team take colors from the city's 2 former NL teams and use the pinstripes from their counterparts, the AL club?

That story has been around for a long time - I have been searching for actual confirmation.

The ultimatemets.com website states in the opening paragraph that the Mets uniforms were based on the Dodgers (Royal Blue), Giants (Orange) and the Yankees (pinstripes and style of home uniform numbers). The numbers that the Mets still use and the Yankees were still using in the early '60s were the best style ever. The Dodgers also use that style called "Pro-Style Plain Block" originated by Liebes out of St. Louis (Chesterfield, Mo. actually). Ultimate Mets is is a good website and very informative.

The history of the Mets' uniform elements seems to be muddled, but maybe we can come to consensus on this: Which look is better? Home Mets with pinstripes and blue caps? Or home Mets without pinstripes and blue caps? I tend to prefer the latter, but I recognize the history of the former. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Black on the Royals jersey = Travesty

Black on the Mets jersey = Proper

Black should be part of their color scheme.

It looks good.

As long as they are going to have a home alt and an away alt, they might as well make one blue - the home one.

Oh my...I couldn't disagree with you more. Black has no place in a royal blue and orange color scheme no matter how little it is used.

As one of my first design professors used to say, "Use extreme caution when incorporating both black and blue in your work"

I think he would tear apart the Mets color scheme.

The history of the Mets' uniform elements seems to be muddled, but maybe we can come to consensus on this: Which look is better? Home Mets with pinstripes and blue caps? Or home Mets without pinstripes and blue caps? I tend to prefer the latter, but I recognize the history of the former. Thoughts?

That's my take on it as well. I prefer the snow-white uniforms with blue piping - seems to fit more with the overall design heritage of New York NL clubs. And it visually separates them from the Yanks.

OTOH, I can appreciate that Mets fans are attached to the pinstripes.

Either way, the cap must be solid blue.

As a Met fan, I am partial to the pinstripes although I like the look of the solid white with blue piping. The Mets had been wearing the pinstripes since '62 and there was no reason to change it. In regards to the cap, it's the BLUE cap all the time. I was the first cap I ever purchased and still my favorite of my collection.

In the early '80s, the Mets did actually have a blue alternate road jersey. Pullover style, orange-blue-orange striping around the neck and sleeves, with the wordmark, name and number in orange trimmed in silver. Sharp.

That actually is a very sharp uni. I saw it in a video game the other night. (I can't believe I still have time to play video games, but I do) The problem about that uni is that it would not work with the current blue, orange, black scheme. It also looks like the blue has been darkened over the years....bad move IMO.

Pinstripes preferable on this end....

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The time has come for the black to go. The Mets should go back to the pinstripe uni for home, grey with the New York in block or script for the road and a blue alt. I have noticed this year the Mets wearing the blue more and more. Maybe the players and ownership have finally heard that the majority of Met fans hate the black.

You are crazy. The Black hats/shirts sell a HELL of a lot more than the blue.

As a Mets fan, I love the black. I hate orange, the only time orange should ever be used in a uniform is at Hooters.

As a Mets fan, I love the black. I hate orange, the only time orange should ever be used in a uniform is at Hooters.

I'm pretty sure it's a physical property of the universe that if you love blue but hate orange, you are a Yankees fan. I just don't think it's possible to actually be a Mets fan and hate orange that much. If you hate orange that much, love blue, and hate the Yankees, then I think it's safe to conclude that you're actually a closeted Red Sox fan. But to love the Mets is to love the orange. :P

As a one-time Mets fan, I'm in the same boat as most here: Sentimentally, I'm for the pinstripes. With the racing stripes down the sleeve. But I have to admit that the plain-white is the superior uniform design in this case.

20082614447.png

I'm pretty sure it's a physical property of the universe that if you love blue but hate orange, you are a Yankees fan. I just don't think it's possible to actually be a Mets fan and hate orange that much. If you hate orange that much, love blue, and hate the Yankees, then I think it's safe to conclude that you're actually a closeted Red Sox fan. But to love the Mets is to love the orange. :P

As a one-time Mets fan, I'm in the same boat as most here: Sentimentally, I'm for the pinstripes. With the racing stripes down the sleeve. But I have to admit that the plain-white is the superior uniform design in this case.

What did you in?

Their total inenptitude in big games throughout the 90's? or the fact that their cross town rivals were sucking in Mets fans like a vacuum after each WS victory in the late 90's?

I think its time to start jumping on the Blue and Orange bandwagon if you live in NYC.

What did you in?

Their total inenptitude in big games throughout the 90's? or the fact that their cross town rivals were sucking in Mets fans like a vacuum after each WS victory in the late 90's?

My first little league team, in beautiful Wayne, Pennsylvania, half a decade before the Mets won their second World Series, was the Mets. I loved a lot of individual Phillies players -- Schmidt is still my favorite player of all time -- and I loved the Phillies uniforms. But I never really got full-throttle behind the Phillies as a team, and within two years my family had moved to Minnesota. But the Mets stuck with me; I think I must be one of about three non-New Yorkers who will admit to having rooted for the Mets over the Sox in '86.

What changed? Well, the Brewers moved to the NL, so I had an upper-Midwest team to root for in the Senior Circuit. Then the Mets started vomiting black all over their uniforms. Then the Nationals came to town, and suddenly I had a hometown team in the NL East. Blue and orange is probably my favorite uniform color combination, and there is no doubt that if I lived in NYC, I would be a Mets fan, no matter how well the Yankees are doing in any given year.

20082614447.png

Archived