New Iowa State Helmet

footballfiji

i like what ISU is doing... their uniforms now look more collegiate, and less like a bad professional uniform.

For the life of me i have no idea why you guys are slamming this move.

It looks awesome. it screams "College Football" to me...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i like what ISU is doing... their uniforms now look more collegiate, and less like a bad professional uniform.

The 'ISU' helmet would be fine if the pants were white, but white helmet & red jersey & yellow pants screams "Arena League" to me.

The 'I State' logo screams "Div II College Football" to me.

The 'Cyclones' logo screams "small mid-major from Big West or Sun Belt Conference" to me. (no offense to schools with nice helmets in those conferences.)

I really like what the Cyclones have done here (and I'm a Hawkeyes fan). Granted, I would have preffered a yellow helmet, but I really like the Cyclones script. Compared to what they've had in the past, this is a major improvement. And the white helmets are growing on me each time I look at them...

It actually screams "High School Football" to me. :D

With the white helmets with cardinal & gold stripes, and the Redskins-esque jerseys and pants, Iowa State's new uniforms are are awfully reminiscent of those worn by Clinton High School in Oklahoma. I'd also say that Clinton's white-red-white combo is better than Iowa State's white-red-gold. And as if that isn't enough, Clinton's mascot (Red Tornadoes) is very similar to ISU's Cyclones.

ec4.jpg

guy6.jpg

KDYSEUXFQVMQDOH.20070816161907.jpg

Any of the 3 available choices would be vastly superior in gold, or even in red. For me, it's the white shell more than any of the logo designs. If you asked me at gunpoint, I'd have to go with the 3rd choice - there are a few ISUs in the country, but no other school uses the nickname "Cyclones". But none of them - especially in white - are even better than the Cyclochicken they've had.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I'd vote for the middle one in an instant if they either made the 'state' maroon and the 'I' yellow or if they got rid of the 'state' all together.

not maroon, CARDINAL.

and as an alum, these all blow.

Oh....your an alum? how could I have ever guessed?

I agree that I like the way they are going, but I just dont like the helmets enough, maybe not have a white facemask. There is a differnece between simple and elegant, and uninspired. ISU is leaner towards the latter, unfortunately.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Remember when they did that "contest" several months back asking for uniform ideas? I spent literally one hour on my design, knowing it was more or less a sham for attention. I spent 20 minutes of that time on this helmet I sent in. It's not super cool or anything, but compared to the colorless stuff they are proposing, I feel better about it.

CyclonesRichards2.jpg

The 'ISU' helmet would be fine if the pants were white, but white helmet & red jersey & yellow pants screams "Arena League" to me.

Really? Let me know what arena team looks that good.

EDIT: delete, double post

Frankly, Iowa State now has one of the cleanest, classiest uni sets in the NCAA now. Bravo to the Cyclones, i'm loving the changes. Everything a classic college football team should look like, right down to the white helmet.

I agree. Traditional is best. I'm betting fans will warm up to these unis and embrace them soon enough.

It would be tough to get any worse than the killer tomato look.

I like doafhat and TR's concepts better, but I voted for the "Cyclones" helmet as well. ISU says Illinois State to me, although I realize Iowa State has a higher profile nationally.

And a block I is too much of a University of Iowa reminder (even with the "State") and I've never heard them referred to as "I-State."

Of the three choices, Cyclones was the only one that made sense to me, as someone who grew up next to, but not in, Iowa.

I think the new unis make for a nice change of pace and a classy look, but topping it off with that white helmet just seems off for Iowa State.

What was wrong with the helmet they had? Retro sucks if it's bad design,

just like a current design sucks if it's bad. Why do some teams think some

cheesey cookie cutter script looks good on a helmet. Ames, Iowa is a pretty

bland and dull place. These designs reflect that or make it even blander.

So did we ever determine the origins of that template? Did someone here make that? I'm very curious.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Other than the fact the logo on said helmet looked like a muscular cardinal in a blender?

Other than the fact the logo on said helmet looked like a muscular cardinal in a blender?

I hate when they take a bird logo and infuse them with human features like teeth or muscles. I can handle a Badger in a sweater standing upright...but pearly whites on a bird with a pair of big guns doesn't sit well with me.

I hate when they take a bird logo and infuse them with human features like teeth or muscles. I can handle a Badger in a sweater standing upright...but pearly whites on a bird with a pair of big guns doesn't sit well with me.

And the fact that the bird is clearly making a fist. ORNITHOLOGICALLY IMPOSSIBLE!

"Ornithologically impossible"...True. That's why it's called artistic license.

Bears holding bats, fish hitting baseballs, birds throwing baseballs,

Polar bears and penguins shooting pucks..all impossible too, but this

is the logo world. Most of the "traditional" college look is too boring.

Boring then and boring now. I understand the beauty of clean and

simple layout and design, but those proposed helmets are boring

by any standards.

Archived