2007 Miami (OH) Red Hawks Football Schedule Quirk

rock55choc

This is my second year of undertaking the project of projecting the schedule of all 119 Football Bowl Subdivision teams. I have started my notebook and got to Miami (OH)'s schedule in my Athlon Preview Guide. One aspect of their schedule really baffled me. The Red Hawks only play 7 MAC conference games, while the traditional standard number of conference games is 8. The Red Hawks play 5 non conference games against Minnesota, Cincinnati, Colorado, Syracuse, and Vanderbilt. Whats up with this irregularity? Are there any Red Hawk fans out there that may have an answer to this question. Thanks for your attention. Here is the link to their 2007 Season Schedule.

2007 Miami (OH) Red Hawks Schedule

LibertyBowl.png

I find it odd as well, but Temple joining the MAC has nothing to do with this.

The MAC is returning to the format it once had when it had 13 teams in the conference. This format gave the East Division schools 8 conference games (6 divisional games and 2 interdivisonal games) while the West Division got 7 conference games (5 divisional games and 2 interdivisional games).

The MAC may have to make one of the Redhawks' non-conference games count in the MAC standings to equal it out with the other East division teams.

I find it odd as well, but Temple joining the MAC has nothing to do with this.

The MAC is returning to the format it once had when it had 13 teams in the conference. This format gave the East Division schools 8 conference games (6 divisional games and 2 interdivisonal games) while the West Division got 7 conference games (5 divisional games and 2 interdivisional games).

The MAC may have to make one of the Redhawks' non-conference games count in the MAC standings to equal it out with the other East division teams.

They don't have to. For standings purposes to determine the division champions, only division record is to be counted. Therefore, a team that went 5-1 in division, and 7-1 overall in the MAC, would finish behind a team that went 6-0 in division but 6-2 in the MAC.

As it is, if you were to schedule all seven East schools with two non-division games, 14 in total, only two West schools would be able to play a full slate of eight non-conference games, assuming the distribution is even. In fact, the only way you can truly balance the conference load might be the simplest - a 12-game conference schedule. I suspect they might not be wise to this idea.

LvZYtbZ.png

OK, the first part makes sense since it is about how you fare in your division, but Miami of Ohio has one less division game then the other six. One of those games might have to count in the overall conference standings, but not the division standings.

The second part doesn't make sense. A season with nothing but conference games? That doesn't work for a league that plays games at bigger BCS schools to help pay the bills. An all conference schudle may work at the Division II or Division III or even the NAIA level, but this is the FCS level and that won't cut it.

OK, the first part makes sense since it is about how you fare in your division, but Miami of Ohio has one less division game then the other six. One of those games might have to count in the overall conference standings, but not the division standings.

The second part doesn't make sense. A season with nothing but conference games? That doesn't work for a league that plays games at bigger BCS schools to help pay the bills. An all conference schudle may work at the Division II or Division III or even the NAIA level, but this is the FCS level and that won't cut it.

Alright, let me rephrase that second part. The only way that one could create a balanced schedule, where every team in a division plays the same number of non-division games and the same number of division games, would be to play a season with nothing but conference games. Otherwise, the schedule just would not work out -- someone would have to play one more or one fewer conference game than the rest of the teams in their conference.

I checked, and all teams in the MAC East do indeed play each other. Some teams play only one non-division game, while some play two.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived