AAFL Teams go nameless

Wellsandt

Um, who said Shane Mattthews was qualified to be a coach? Don Matthews maybe, but certainly not Shane. If they are looking for quality head coaches, I know of 8 who were just fired from NFL Europa..... ;)

And why did they arbitrarily go with orange and blue if the team also has Seminole influence? Shouldn't we expect some kind of blue/orange/maroon/gold hybrid????

Hmmmmmmm.

<overheard>Hey Cuban, I think your idea is a shoe-in once this AAFL fails....</overheard>

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In a way I understand it - they're trying to keep close ties to their respective universities by doing this.

In another way, I can't help but laugh. I was among the first that predicted the death knell before they take a snap, and I reiterate that today.

Where's the United Football League going? Anyone heard anything?

Maybe its time to dust off my United Spring Football League idea... anyone have a half billion lying around?

I think my National Football Development League (NFDL) idea will be better than yours.

YOZXkBG.png?1

In a way I understand it - they're trying to keep close ties to their respective universities by doing this.

In another way, I can't help but laugh. I was among the first that predicted the death knell before they take a snap, and I reiterate that today.

Maybe its time to dust off my United Spring Football League idea... anyone have a half billion lying around?

I think my National Football Development League (NFDL) idea will be better than yours.

Wasn't that what got all realignment threads banned over here?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yesterday the league held a press conference in Gainesville. They announced the formation of the Florida franchise and named former Florida quarterback Shane Matthews the team's head coach.

So is that an old UF helmet or is this going to be the AAFL old school style?

aaflsi9.jpg

bildemc6.jpg

Well I think its good to see all of these guys looking so enthused about the exciting new league they are part of.....er......well maybe a little bit excited....deep down....really deep maybe??

Maybe they plan on letting the fans come up with their own nicknames for the teams over time, the way they originally came about before it was all about marketing.

That was my thought exactly and I LOVE IT! Finally. Let the fans call them whatever they wish and after awhile, a name will stick. I think it's great.

Maybe they plan on letting the fans come up with their own nicknames for the teams over time, the way they originally came about before it was all about marketing.

That was my thought exactly and I LOVE IT! Finally. Let the fans call them whatever they wish and after awhile, a name will stick. I think it's great.

You're first mistake is assuming that these teams will be around for even a little while...

Badger_zps8961c467.png

Yesterday the league held a press conference in Gainesville. They announced the formation of the Florida franchise and named former Florida quarterback Shane Matthews the team's head coach.

So is that an old UF helmet or is this going to be the AAFL old school style?

aaflsi9.jpg

bildemc6.jpg

Well I think its good to see all of these guys looking so enthused about the exciting new league they are part of.....er......well maybe a little bit excited....deep down....really deep maybe??

Oh they all look friggin happy to be there

baltimoreravens.png

If that report is true the idea sucks. I don't think the cost of research, design, implementation of logos is higher that what they are going to loose in merchandise sales. Even in the case the league works out well, fans are only going to buy more NCAA merch what means no money for the AAFL

My league idea wasn't a realignment thread, it was a concept for "what would happen if the NFL had a minor league affiliation system".

YOZXkBG.png?1

I think this league is a great idea, and believe it or not, i think it'll find a niche. I think people will watch.

NFL-sized crowds? Fu*k no! They aren't even going to get NHL sized crowds to start, but i think it has a chance to be around for a while, and after that? Who knows.

Look at Arena football...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

My league idea wasn't a realignment thread, it was a concept for "what would happen if the NFL had a minor league affiliation system".

You mean like the WLAF? NFL Europe? NFL Europa?

I think they've tried that.

I think the best minor league system the NFL has is called college football.

These guys get their heads beaten in badly enough for a few months, resulting in the average career being about 5 years long at best. Do we really need to make these guys get beaten down for an entire year? I think the talent is good enough as it is and doesn't need to be "overly developed" (sarcasm) in some low talent minor league system. If teams want to develop players, put them in the four preseason games against some of the other developing talent and go with that....oh wait a minute, thats what they do already.

HEY! PROBLEM SOLVED! B)

I think this league is a great idea, and believe it or not, i think it'll find a niche. I think people will watch.

NFL-sized crowds? Fu*k no! They aren't even going to get NHL sized crowds to start, but i think it has a chance to be around for a while, and after that? Who knows.

Look at Arena football...

Unfortunately, the markets they are targeting to locate teams in are college towns in every sense of the word (ie nobody lives there when they are in season.) The model might work if you targeted places where people actually lived all year, but they aren't putting teams in large markets.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think this is quite as bad as people are making it out to be. This wouldn't be like NBDL. Basketball uniforms need nicknames and logos. Football uniforms really dont. This could also make some nice, classic looking uniforms (alot of the best football uniforms are the simpliest). As alot of minor league teams have ridiculous nicknames any way (Montgomery Biscuits, Minnesota Fighting Pike, etc.). Maybe they wanted to avoid that whole mess.

I'm not sure if this league will see the field or not. But I highly doubt that lack of nicknames and/or logos will be its demise.

I'm not sure if this league will see the field or not. But I highly doubt that lack of nicknames and/or logos will be its demise.

It's more of a symptom than a cause. (The cause being lack of money...which also is probably the real reason behind the "no nickname" thing.)

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived