Piping

SG30

capnPAN2.jpg

Why is it there? Why does it creep down the front sides of the jersey? It clutters the design, and has no purpose. It doesn't outline anything, and looks out of place. There's not need for it. Bad design.

HA! It looks like they're wearing red capes. Just a bad uni all together.

I'm definitely biased, but I didn't find BYU's post-bib use of piping especially offensive:

luke-staley.jpgbrandon-doman.jpg

I actually liked them too. I thought it was a nice use of piping in a time when uniform piping was just about to have a field day across the nation. I kind of miss these unis. The Navy and Gold worked real well IMO.

The Buffalo Bills piping on their blue jersey is stupid, but there is a justification for it. It provides consistency between the blue and white jerseys.

31-38956-F.jpg

The same effect could be achieved by making the area inside of the piping white (a reverse of how it looks on the white jersey) and putting the name in blue on a white background. Or, it could be achieved by getting rid of the blue block of color on the whites and putting names in blue on a white background on the back of the whites.

Red piping...blue sleeves...looks bad.

I bring up the CFL's Edmonton Eskimos whenever we talk about piping for the sake of piping. Their uniforms have yellow piping that goes from one chunk of green to another chunk of green. It connect nothing. It adds nothing positive to the overall aesthetic. It is totally pointless. THAT's piping for the sake of piping.

piping.jpg

BAD USE OF PIPING:

capnPAN2.jpg

Why is it there? Why does it creep down the front sides of the jersey? It clutters the design, and has no purpose. It doesn't outline anything, and looks out of place. There's not need for it. Bad design.

Just exactly what I thought the moment saw the topic, that's totally unnessesary and total crap

BAD USE OF PIPING:

capnPAN2.jpg

Just exactly what I thought the moment saw the topic, that's totally unnessesary and total crap

I find the sleeve treatment as more of an eyesore than the piping. Red running down the outside with perpendicular striping partially wrapping around the sleeve? Who came up with this crap?

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Piping isnt necessarily a bad thing, it's just that the trend lately is to do piping for the sake of doing piping, sadly. I agree with the above poster though, I think the Canes' addition of pipiing works, because it is serving a purpose of breaking up the red.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Piping isnt necessarily a bad thing, it's just that the trend lately is to do piping for the sake of doing piping, sadly.

This is about as well-stated as you'll find on this thread.

In the early days of sport, piping was used as a means of decorating sewn areas of a (baseball) jersey - the placket around the buttons, the hem of a sleeve, or where the front and back of a pant leg meet. It embellished something that was going to be there anyway but was something of an eyesore that interrupted large swathes of fabric.

Today, people have haphazardly turned to "piping for piping's sake", which is foolish and makes the whole uniform look overwrought. If the piping serves to sharpen contrast between two areas, or follows the natural contours of the garment's hemlines, then great. But it seems like every new design just tosses on piping without any regard for its place on the uniform, its function as part of the uniform, or its ability to flow with the design. It's to the point where the focus is being taken away from where it belongs - primary wordmarks and/or logos, depending on the sport - and being shifted to peripheral areas of the uniform, and most of that is due to piping.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived