The U Moves in with The Fins

MadmanLA

Something just seems amiss in this whole thing. I agree that UM football is a desirable commodity, but what leverage do they have? They can't use the Orange Bowl any more, they can't play on campus, and they are more or less at the mercy of others. That doesn't sound like a position of strength at the negotiating table that would afford them any leverage.

The primary leverage that UM has (and I'm not saying it is a lot of leverage) is that the naming rights would presumably be more valuable with UM as a tenant because 6-7 more games per season will wind up on TV (with some national coverage likely). I am not at all familiar with the situation, but perhaps UM pushed for a percentage of the naming rights fees based on the expectation that its presence increases the amount of those fees.

I'm not saying that happened. However, it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If I heard right, on one of the local sports shows, they mentioned that one of the parts of the agreement is that Dolphins Stadium would be all-grass for all games. (Someone correct me if this is wrong)

This either means that the Hurricanes won't play any home games in the first month of the season, or the Marlins are getting the shaft once again....

Or it means the Marlins will be playing on an all-grass infield.

That would be interesting...

Or, the Marlins become a true Florida team, and play their September games at Disney like the Devil Rays did earlier this season...

Speaking of which, less than 2,000 folks turned out for their games in their most recent series against the Giants. Weekend games not even drawing 2,000 folks is not very good.

Friday- 25,079

Saturday- 42,817

Sunday (Day game)- 15,351

Monday (Day game, first day of school)- 10,907

1997 | 2003

If I heard right, on one of the local sports shows, they mentioned that one of the parts of the agreement is that Dolphins Stadium would be all-grass for all games. (Someone correct me if this is wrong)

This either means that the Hurricanes won't play any home games in the first month of the season, or the Marlins are getting the shaft once again....

Or it means the Marlins will be playing on an all-grass infield.

That would be interesting...

Or, the Marlins become a true Florida team, and play their September games at Disney like the Devil Rays did earlier this season...

Speaking of which, less than 2,000 folks turned out for their games in their most recent series against the Giants. Weekend games not even drawing 2,000 folks is not very good.

Friday- 25,079

Saturday- 42,817

Sunday (Day game)- 15,351

Monday (Day game, first day of school)- 10,907

But how many people were actually attending?

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Add to the naming rights: Miami did have a small edge in that it will provide 6-7 dates that would otherwise be open, and if the Marlins move, that's a big chunk of cash to be replaced.

Besides, Miami may have rules about playing in a facility named after beer, smokes, etc. (Although they'd probably go for Smith & Wesson Field)

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

For thoes who never went, it was a dump, but as a season ticket holfer from 2001-1004, it ws our dump. Restrooms for both gensers sucked, you could not go from one side of the place to the other from the same concourse, and during the really big games (FSU, UF, VaTach, and even FAMU), they would run out of water and some foods! Run out of bottled water! Ridiculous!

Moving to Miami Gardens will still let them sell beer, somehting which only a handful of NCAA teams do, and possibly hard liquor as that is done on all all three levels there, but that could be stopped by the NCAA. There is much more parking so there will be areas to tailgate and not eating street food. I can so remember hearing "Arepa, Arepa...Kabob, Kabob," on my walks from the courthouse/M'ahi Temple Shrine to the games. It took me a few days to actually write, but it gives me chills just doing it. The 2002 game verses FSU was the most intense sporting event I was ever at, period!

I wonder how bunking with the Steelers at Heinz is working out for Pitt. Or for the three fans that follow Temple football at Lincoln Financial.

Pitt and the Steelers have a great agreement for the use of Heinz Field.

Or for the three fans that follow Temple football at Lincoln Financial.

I thought Bill Cosby had a larger entourage than that... :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On another note, its sad to see the level of disrepair Miami has allowed the Orange Bowl to reach. Yeah, its an old stadium, but its one that apparently has been allowed to go into the state that its in, with little or no regular maintenance. Like people are intentionally letting it rot. Sad.

nav-logo.png

I'd like to see the Orange Bowl remodeled into a baseball stadium for the Marlins, but still called the Miami Orange Bowl, at least in part with naming rights. "Lincoln Financial Diamond at the Miami Orange Bowl." Nobody would use the whole name.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wonder how bunking with the Steelers at Heinz is working out for Pitt. Or for the three fans that follow Temple football at Lincoln Financial.

Pitt and the Steelers have a great agreement for the use of Heinz Field.

Pitt is a partner with the Steelers at Heinz Field but the stadium is owned by the city/county so the situation is different from what the Dolphins and Hurricanes have set up.

There's nothing better than hearing the hillbilly Penn State and West Virginia fans who somehow scored a ticket to a Steeler game crying about all of the Pitt signage throughout the stadium.

There's nothing better than hearing the hillbilly Penn State and West Virginia fans who somehow scored a ticket to a Steeler game crying about all of the Pitt signage throughout the stadium.

Sure there is... seeing them smile and realizing you can count the number of teeth they have left on your hands. Well, in WVU's case, anyway... :D

nav-logo.png

What about riding on rollercoasters?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sure there is... seeing them smile and realizing you can count the number of teeth they have left on your hands. Well, in WVU's case, anyway... :D

You have never been to Central PA.

Ye speaketh of what ye not know... I used to live in central Pennsylvania. Western part of the state as well. Neither tops West Virginia for toothlessness. :)

nav-logo.png

Ye speaketh of what ye not know... I used to live in central Pennsylvania. Western part of the state as well. Neither tops West Virginia for toothlessness. :)

Indiana, Clarion, and Fayette County come pretty close.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived