Los Mets

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like the Latino community is going to care so much about a baseball team because they pander to them in this obscene way. What about everyone else who this will offend?

I'm sick of this crap.

Who could this possibly offend? I think it's a bit of a bush league move ("Metropolitanos" would have been the way to go here), but there is a big difference between being aesthetically annoyed and being offended. There are already several MLB teams that wear Spanish jersey scripts 82 games a year with no complaints, and one even wears Spanish all 162 games to nobody's offense. I suppose there may be people who find the very use of the Spanish language to be "offensive," but "offending" that sort of person is a virtue, not a problem.

By the way, a Spanish phrase came to me the other day and I can't get it out of my head: "El Susserero des Perros". Is my Spanglish completely off, or would that be how you'd say "The Dog Whisperer" in Espanol?

20082614447.png

And for the record here is a list (from the Mets schedule) of other promotions at Shea stadium for those looking for equal opportunity:

Asian Night - May 1

Greek Night - June 1

Italian Day - June 24

Korean Night - July 13

Merengue Night - July 27

Polish-American Night - August 22

Pakistani-American Night - August 23

Fiesta Latina - August 24

Irish Day - August 25

Jewish Heritage Day - August 26

Taiwan Night - September 7

Oktoberfest - September 28

Now this I find offensive. (Sarcasm!) I'm of Irish, English, and sort of Scottish descent, and I only get one day? Well, two, if you count the Mets' annual bring-your-dog-to-Shea game, since I'm an Anglo-Irish-sort-of-Scottish-dog-owning-American. And the Irish day is in August? We've already got an Irish day in America, and it's in March, thank you very much. But where is the Scottish Day? I want to see the Mets switch to blue and orange tartan for a day. And I don't care if the two big Scottish-American holidays are in January and November; if Irish Day is in August, the Mets can figure something out. Oh, and where is my green-and-orange Mets uniform for Irish Day?

And of course, in typical fashion, the Mets take their English-American fans completely for granted. I'm all for all of these fun theme nights at the ballpark, but really, let's spread the love around a bit to the rest of the British Isles. Though they can probably skip Welsh Night. Or schedule it for a Braves game, since Andruw and Chipper Jones are the most famous Welsh players in baseball history.

20082614447.png

These heritage promotion nights have good intentions, but I don't think they are really necessary. Instead of offending any particular nationality that is left out, why can't sports franchises just have the Fan Appreciation Day (or Night) at the end of the season? Isn't that good enough anymore?

Instead of the Mets' pathetic attempt at pandering to the Hispanic community, the team should be just dedicating their time toward the fan base as a whole. The Spanish-language version of Mets.com is one thing, but a "Los Mets" jersey? Such a complete waste of time. Seriously, Hispanic fans in droves are going to really ditch the regular Mets jerseys to go buy the "Los Mets" one? Give me a break. Then again, there is more and more separatism in our society and less and less unity in this country than I can remember. THAT is an even bigger issue, but I won't discuss that here.

Also, the Mets should just worry about winning baseball games than peddling this crap.

Like the Latino community is going to care so much about a baseball team because they pander to them in this obscene way. What about everyone else who this will offend?

I'm sick of this crap.

Who could this possibly offend? I think it's a bit of a bush league move ("Metropolitanos" would have been the way to go here), but there is a big difference between being aesthetically annoyed and being offended. There are already several MLB teams that wear Spanish jersey scripts 82 games a year with no complaints, and one even wears Spanish all 162 games to nobody's offense. I suppose there may be people who find the very use of the Spanish language to be "offensive," but "offending" that sort of person is a virtue, not a problem.

By the way, a Spanish phrase came to me the other day and I can't get it out of my head: "El Susserero des Perros". Is my Spanglish completely off, or would that be how you'd say "The Dog Whisperer" in Espanol?

Hey B-wonk, please explain...I'm confused. Which teams have done this for the entire season?

BTW, how the hell did that phrase come into your head? I don't think I've ever heard that phrase in Spanish...not even from Cesar himself.

How appropriate... they're playing the Los Angeles Dodgers :lol:

Imagine what would happen if the Yankees did this? :wacko:

seriously, do major league teams have to honour the Latino community like this?

You mean Los Marrulleros and Los Yanquis?

Los Mets?

At least when Tampa Bay rolls out the Rayos de Bahía de Tampa jerseys it won't seem so bad.

:lol:

And we shall all rue the day that Los Angeles de Los Angeles de Anaheim appear.

Also, I hope Los Reales don't follow suit at their Hispanic Heritage Night next Friday. Maybe a Les Royales French-Canadian homage someday?

In Spanish the Angels are called Los Angelinos de Los Angeles.

1997 | 2003

He's talking about the San Diego Padres.

Spanish name on the uniform for every game....

Yeah, the Saint James Fathers doesn't have quite the same ring. Nor would road jerseys that say Saint Francis, or Angel City. And that's just the Spanish contingent of foreign-language road jerseys. You've got the corrupted Lakota "Minnesota", the no-one-really-knows-for-sure "Chicago," and so forth. Nativist props to the Phillies, who carefully avoid putting their city's un-American Greek name on their road jerseys. A real victory for the English-only movement, that.

20082614447.png

He's talking about the San Diego Padres.

Spanish name on the uniform for every game....

ohhhh yeah....

I was thinking along the lines of "Los Cervaceros" or "Los Gigantes".

I got it now.

*goes back into his cave*

And I assume the other teams he is implying are Los Angeles, San Francisco, Florida, and Colorado (plus maybe Texas).

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

And I assume the other teams he is implying are Los Angeles, San Francisco, Florida, and Colorado (plus maybe Texas).

I didn't even think of Colorado and Florida! Good call there. I was really just thinking of the teams from cities with overtly Spanish articles or adjectives like Los or San. Plus Texas. B)

20082614447.png

I don't have a problem with it. It's for one game. It's fun.

As for all the enthic nights...I'm sure Bill Veeck is smiling from above. Bring some folks out to the park who might not come otherwise. Everybody else can learn a little bit about someone else's culture. New York might be the most diverse place on the planet. Heck, you can practically see the UN from the upper deck (should you be facing back. I know you can see the skyline)

There are things worth getting upset about, like the new Islanders sweaters. But Los Mets? I can live with that.

As for all the enthic nights...I'm sure Bill Veeck is smiling from above. Bring some folks out to the park who might not come otherwise. Everybody else can learn a little bit about someone else's culture. New York might be the most diverse place on the planet. Heck, you can practically see the UN from the upper deck (should you be facing back. I know you can see the skyline)

There are things worth getting upset about, like the new Islanders sweaters. But Los Mets? I can live with that.

....Except for when a plane flies just beneath you.

That's our quaintness, like the Green Monster, the Baltimore warehouse and the ivy.

That's our quaintness, like the Green Monster, the Baltimore warehouse and the ivy.

...and the bumb outside of Yankee stadium asking for $10 to park your car on the sidewalk.

(I know I'm going to get :censored: for that, but I just had to say it ^_^ )

New York might be the most diverse place on the planet. Heck, you can practically see the UN from the upper deck (should you be facing back. I know you can see the skyline)

Not to mention that Queens is the most diverse of the city's boroughs (according to something I read, anyways).

I didn't mind the "Los Mets" jerseys. They would've been better with blue hats and pinstripes, though...

Archived