The Lost 80s Browns' Jerseys

andrewharrington

I remember a thread about these particular jerseys and that pictures of them were hard to come by. I recently found one, so here it is.

dixon1.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't know know if there's much of a story...they wore those for a couple of seasons, and then went back to a more traditional set.

Being the non-traditionalist that I am, I liked these much more than the traditional (or more traditional) unis.

I used to have great close-up pics (Prolog magazine), but don't have them anymore. Darn it all.

Actually they only wore them for the 1984 season. During the pre season their numbers were orange with white and brown trim. (Sorry, no pics) It was decided that the orange numbers were too difficult to read so they changed to white numbers with orange trim at the start of the season. They went with the more traditional look for the 1985 season.

"Red Right 88. No! No! Nooooooooooo!

Actually they only wore them for the 1984 season. During the pre season their numbers were orange with white and brown trim. (Sorry, no pics) It was decided that the orange numbers were too difficult to read so they changed to white numbers with orange trim at the start of the season. They went with the more traditional look for the 1985 season.

"Red Right 88. No! No! Nooooooooooo!

You're right...one season. And, I had forgotten about the number/color change, but I remember that now as well.

I liked those...too bad I was only one of the few.

When they reversed the color of the numbers and trim after the preseason, they should have reversed the sleeve stripes too.

Otherwise, these are pretty sharp--I wouldn't be opposed to something like this if they were to try to change their uniforms.

Here are some *good* pics I found on EBay"

Pretty much the same pics, just figured I'd post em all.

Nice work...thanks.

no problem

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I forgot where I read it, but I vaguley remember a story about how Art Modell and some front office guys were "testing" the visibility of those orange numbers from the owner's suite at Municipal Stadium. He took an informal poll among his colleagues, and they all agreed they couldn't read them from his suite.

Goodbye orange numbers...and ten years later, goodbye Cleveland! :evil:

On an unrelated note, that year was the best Topps Football Card design ever.

I do like those, however, these are my favorite set...

aj08080146.JPG

Hey, me too! And it shows...

I know it, and that baseball card is probably my fave too. Jeez, it's like we are brothers or something....

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Look at the guy sitting next to Ozzie. The white part of his sleeve stripe is clearly wider than Ozzie's.

9f_1.jpg

It's that attention to detail that makes this place great.

For what it's worth, it also looks like the other guy's orange stripe may be narrower, but they may just be because it looks narrower next to the wider white stripes.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived