Is your town a "Baseball Town" or a "Football town"?

spyboy1

Cincinnati - My home town. I would venture to say that Cincinnati is a baseball town....in April and May.

That is because January it is still football, February and March is UC basketball, June starts cranking up prep, college and Bengals football. The rest of the year, June thru January Cincinnati is a football town.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, now this is just my own personal opinion as a resident, but I really think Green Bay is a ... football town. There, I said it.

Having said that, in seriousness, if there wasn't a Packers, I really think this might be a hockey town. The team has supported the old semipro Bobcats, the USHL Gamblers and the Division III-title contending St. Norbert Green Knights. It even supported the Green Bay Ice of the one-year ... er, what WAS that league again? I really wonder if a pro team wouldn't succeed here. The Gamblers (which is Junior A) draw about as well as Division I UW-Green Bay basketball, which barely filled the old Brown County Arena (except when it was an NCAA team under Dick Bennett) and half-fills the Resch.

If you ask me, Green Bay is a hockey town that masquarades as a football town. It's pretty clear that the town will support just about any hockey team that plays in the metro area (don't forget the Badgers at Lambeau and the NCAA regionals last year), but as far as football, it seems to be Packers or nothing. The Resch was half empty last time I went to a Blizzard game and the Bombers had even less support. And people are probably more apathetic towards HS football in Green Bay than anywhere else in NE Wisconsin. But then, you're an actual resident and I'm just someone who happens to have family in GB.

As far as a pro team... if it can work in Des Moines and the Quad Cities I don't see any reason it couldn't work in Green Bay. Maybe y'all could take the Admirals off our hands if the Marquette hockey team ever comes to fruition.

I always wondered what would happen if a professional hockey team between Milwaukee, Madison, and Green Bay...because the markets seperately i dont think would ever be able to support a pro hockey team. but maybe if there was one in idk fond du lac or so...fond du lac is hockey crazy and with potential fans in the other 3 markets willing to make the trip for a pro hockey game, that might be the best bet for an NHL team. Farfetched, but it would be interesting to see

brewerssig.jpg

OOO and Milwaukee and most of Wisconsin is a football town...baseball town when the brewers are good, making it once every 25 years or so. I think Wisconsin as a whole is a hockey-football hybrid state...and dont forget Madison-the greatest college sports town in the nation. No matter how you look at it, Wisconsin is a great state for sports

brewerssig.jpg

I always wondered what would happen if a professional hockey team between Milwaukee, Madison, and Green Bay...because the markets seperately i dont think would ever be able to support a pro hockey team. but maybe if there was one in idk fond du lac or so...fond du lac is hockey crazy and with potential fans in the other 3 markets willing to make the trip for a pro hockey game, that might be the best bet for an NHL team. Farfetched, but it would be interesting to see

OOO and Milwaukee and most of Wisconsin is a football town...baseball town when the brewers are good, making it once every 25 years or so. I think Wisconsin as a whole is a hockey-football hybrid state...and dont forget Madison-the greatest college sports town in the nation. No matter how you look at it, Wisconsin is a great state for sports

Nice idea on paper, but the Fond Du Lac hockey team would be a disaster in real life. No way would that team be able to draw consistently with all of its markets being an hour away.

Personally, I'd rather Marquette (or UWM, but MU would be more likely) bring its club hockey team to the NCAA than get the NHL. I'd be lying if I said part of me didn't detest UW for making it so that they have the ONLY D1 football and hockey teams in the state. Wisconsin could support at least two more of each...

EDIT: Not that UW has anything to do with MU's lack of either... they're just being cheap.

It would be a long way for either of those club teams...i think they are both in the lower levels and arent very good idk if a jump like that is possible, I think UWM is a better bet than Marquette (way to cheap) but UWM needs to finish campus renevations to dorms and such to grow...its basketball success has brought tons more students, influx started before that actually, but i wouldnt be surprised to see a UWM football team in the coming years to be honest.

brewerssig.jpg

I wanted to add to my previous comments on Louisville. Maybe someone born and bred in Kentucky could provide a better answer, but I still think that it's basketball first, football second. However, I completely forgot horse racing. Understandably, Derby time is a month-long, all-encompassing celebration. And, of course, it goes way beyond that. Churchill Downs is definitely part of Louisville's identity, and I'm surprised I overlooked it.

In most years, i.e. before Cardinals football's recent renaissance, Louisville goes basketball first, horse racing second, then football. I can't think of another area in the country like that. Pretty neat, if you ask me.

this is a true statement, although i think here it's more college basketball, horseracing, cardinal football, national league baseball, baseball, pro football, pro basketball. a distintion needs to be made between pro and college because there is really no interest in the pro game here. pro football beats out pro basketball only because there is no interest by the people in pro basketball other than in where the former cards/mildcats are playing. this area along with lessington are normally numbers 1 and 2 in the country for final four ratings. and if either louisville or kentucky are in the final four, it isn't an exaduration to say that 80% of the tvs are tuned in to basketball.

It would be a long way for either of those club teams...i think they are both in the lower levels and arent very good idk if a jump like that is possible, I think UWM is a better bet than Marquette (way to cheap) but UWM needs to finish campus renevations to dorms and such to grow...its basketball success has brought tons more students, influx started before that actually, but i wouldnt be surprised to see a UWM football team in the coming years to be honest.

Well I say Marquette is more likely because they already have a working agreement with the Bradley Center and, (like you said) UWM might be adding football in the next few years (if they can find a benefactor to build a stadium).

Cincinnati - My home town. I would venture to say that Cincinnati is a baseball town....in April and May.

That is because January it is still football, February and March is UC basketball, June starts cranking up prep, college and Bengals football. The rest of the year, June thru January Cincinnati is a football town.

THAT was as non-committal as it gets. Every sport has it's seasons where they take center stage, but what' I'm after is if your city could only keep one team, what would the majority of fans want, pro football or pro baseball? What sport is ingrained in the fabric of the city?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Well I say Marquette is more likely because they already have a working agreement with the Bradley Center and, (like you said) UWM might be adding football in the next few years (if they can find a benefactor to build a stadium).

I wonder if Martin Greenberg's offer to build the Park East football/soccer stadium is still on the table, because that's where UWM football would be playing.

QPR%20Sig.png

For what it's worth ...

Fargo is a big football town. I know, you often think of North Dakota and you think of hockey. That has a lot to do with the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, and Grand Forks is a HUGE hockey town. But Fargo-Moorhead (I do include Moorhead) is big on football, mostly because of North Dakota State University which has won like eight NCAA Division II football titles. Also, across the river, Concordia in Moorhead has won like three NAIA titles.

My old home, Bismarck, is a big basketball town. Bismarck is filled with people from surrounding small towns, and basketball is king in those small towns. Bismarck fans have been big supporters of the Dakota Wizards, formerly of the CBA and now of the D-League.

Archived