Jerome Bettis faked injury

Joshawaggie

That's cheating!!!eleventeen He should never be allowed to go to the Hall of Fame. What kind of message does that send to the kids? His records should be thrown out or denoted with an asterisk!!snakeeyes

What was that? It's a football player? Nevermind, they can do whatever they want.

In all seriousness, I don't fault that man one bit. The NFL stands for Not For Long (thanks, Jerry Glanville) so get your while you can, because if you can't, they'll put your ass out on the street faster than you can say "pink slip." GMs and owners have no loyalty to these men who put their bodies on the line on a daily basis, so you do what you gotta do. It wasn't illegal and it wasn't against any NFL rules.

That being said, he was still a fat, overrated windbag. :)

I'm sure people all over the world do a lot worse things to keep theirr jobs, but of course this is gonna be magnified because it's an NFL player who makes millions of dollars. I can see why he did it, for sure, but he probably should have kept it to himself because a lot of people won't see it that way.

In all seriousness, I don't fault that man one bit. The NFL stands for Not For Long (thanks, Jerry Glanville) so get your while you can, because if you can't, they'll put your ass out on the street faster than you can say "pink slip." GMs and owners have no loyalty to these men who put their bodies on the line on a daily basis, so you do what you gotta do. It wasn't illegal and it wasn't against any NFL rules.

I couldn't possibly agree more. People laughed at Warren Sapp when he saif the NFL was a modern-day plantation, but he had a point. Not that I think it's entirely the same thing, but the players really are nothing but bags of meat to the owners. And considering the average NFL career is only 2 years (which is usually due to a career ending injury), players have a ridiculously short window of time to work with.

Sad...always thought of him as a guy with integrity. Had he been cut, the best revenge would have been taking it like a man and then making the most of the next chance he got.

Saying the circumstances justified it or you have to do whatever to keep your job doesn't work. It's just one of the games people play to make themselves feel better for doing things that aren't right. Ethics aren't situational, you either have them or you don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect by any stretch but what he did was wrong, plain and simple. It's like people faking injuries to get insurance money or going on disability when there's nothing keeping them from working.

I couldn't possibly agree more. People laughed at Warren Sapp when he saif the NFL was a modern-day plantation, but he had a point. Not that I think it's entirely the same thing, but the players really are nothing but bags of meat to the owners. And considering the average NFL career is only 2 years (which is usually due to a career ending injury), players have a ridiculously short window of time to work with.

thats just about any sports league whether it be NFL or NHL. but i don't like using the terminology of 'plantation'. some of these guys get drafted out of college could play for a few years, retire and be set for life. No one forces these men to play and most of them find jobs afterwards. But most if not all owners could care less about a player unless he helps the owners team profit. the biggest difference of all is that most of the players either went in to football because either a) they were gifted, b ) dreamed about playing in the NFL(insert pro league) and/or C) couldnt' do anything else but was gifted enough to play for the NFL. Where as a plantation slave didn't grow up dreaming about being a slave. Most were forced in to it. i know its not entirely the same thing, but 'plantation' can be used in the same manner as NFL, NHL, Target or McDonalds. Most service, labor or retail jobs can be used the same way. Warren Sapp made that comment thinking that he somehow is still living on a modern day plantation because of the number of black players and white owners, when in reality he has more money and opportunity than anybody that ever worked the plantation. What he didn't realize that what he said can easily be translated in to a retail working working for wal-mart or K-Mart or Sonic.

Sad...always thought of him as a guy with integrity. Had he been cut, the best revenge would have been taking it like a man and then making the most of the next chance he got.

Saying the circumstances justified it or you have to do whatever to keep your job doesn't work. It's just one of the games people play to make themselves feel better for doing things that aren't right. Ethics aren't situational, you either have them or you don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect by any stretch but what he did was wrong, plain and simple. It's like people faking injuries to get insurance money or going on disability when there's nothing keeping them from working.

No it's not. What you described is fraud. Fraud is illegal. What "The Bus" did was unethical and disingenuous, but it wasn't fraudulent.

Ethics are COMPLETELY situational! Do you speed? Download copyrighted music? Use pirated software? Ever stretch the truth on a resume or during an interview? Ever tell a lie to get in a girl's pants?

As I said in the Eddie Griffin thread professional athletes are still people. They still have the same flaws and foilbles as we do. It's funny how holier-than-thou and high-and-mighty we get when discussing the behaviors of the athletes we discuss, but when WE do the same :censored:, we either justify it, say it's completely okay, or just dismiss it outright.

HIGHLY PAID bags of meat playing a game for a living. Let's not forget the lowest-paid professional footballer still makes much more than the average blue collar worker. So forgive me if I don't agree with Sapp's assertation that this is modern-day slavery. He's free to give it up and pursue different avenues if he feels so strongly about it.

No it's not. What you described is fraud. Fraud is illegal. What "The Bus" did was unethical and disingenuous, but it wasn't fraudulent.

Ethics are COMPLETELY situational! Do you speed? Download copyrighted music? Use pirated software? Ever stretch the truth on a resume or during an interview? Ever tell a lie to get in a girl's pants?

As I said in the Eddie Griffin thread professional athletes are still people. They still have the same flaws and foilbles as we do. It's funny how holier-than-thou and high-and-mighty we get when discussing the behaviors of the athletes we discuss, but when WE do the same :censored:, we either justify it, say it's completely okay, or just dismiss it outright.

You make some valid points, but what he did was still wrong.

For the record, the answers to your questions are: on occasion, no, no, no, never had to. B)

ETA: Having thought about this some more, I didn't express my point very well in my previous post. What I meant by ethics not being situational is that your own ethics shouldn't be compromised by circumstances or someone else's actions. Like...

"Well, she lied so it's okay that I lied."

or

"Their prices are too high so if they gave me $5 too much change, that's their problem."

or

"The person who lost the wallet would be lucky I'm even returning it with the ID and credit cards in it. I deserve the cash that was in it as a finder's fee." (A co-worker actually said this in response to a hypothetical question during a discussion on ethics.)

or

"My boss is a jerk so I deserve to take days off even when I'm not sick."

or

"They kick guys to the curb like yesterday's trash, and they'd cut me if they knew I was still injured from last year, so I'm going to pretend I got hurt on this play."

And so on. Again, no one's perfect but to me these are examples of questionable character.

Archived