Red Sox Throwbacks

buster04

I actually like those Jim Rice era uniforms, even though they didn't thrill me at the time. They are straightforward, no-nonsense, and I think plenty different from the Yankees with that chamfered corner type font and lack of trim. Old school all the way.

LT

i thought the letters/numbers were a dark blue on these...maybe they are but i'm just a bit colorblind

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Here's what bugged me to no end back in '79 when these were introduced. These uniforms were supposed to be a return to the Sox unis of the '40s, '50s and '60s. But even then the numbers were ALWAYS Red Sox special font. Why in the world they used varsity, Yankee-style numbers starting in '79 always baffled me.

Here's what bugs me about these throwback versions. "BOSTON" is WAY too thin and tall.

One last thing...I think the Red Sox changes in 1979 were among the boldest in baseball history. At a time when almost everyone was going with bright colors, stripes and pullover jerseys, the Sox move toward tradition (especially the road uniforms which were as plain and boring as could be) was jarring. Within only a few years, every team was making the switch to buttons and belts and a more conservative look.

During the offseason after 1978, I, as a 10-year old Red Sox fan, received an authentic cap, just like the players wore. Bright red with a navy visor. You can't believe how dismayed I was on Opening Day to see my team take the field in sold navy hats.

During the offseason after 1978, I, as a 10-year old Red Sox fan, received an authentic cap, just like the players wore. Bright red with a navy visor. You can't believe how dismayed I was on Opening Day to see my team take the field in sold navy hats.

Try to temper your disappointment -- an authentic cap in '78 was a rare thing! I still remember the first cap I ever had that didn't have mesh on the back: A USA Olympic baseball team cap in the summer of '84. (Baseball was a demonstration event at the Los Angeles games.)

Your story and this throwback make me want to air some possibly heretical thoughts about the Red Sox's unis. I don't think you can beat the basic Red Sox jerseys, home and away. Perfect jerseys for Boston, and the pants and socks are just right for the jerseys. But I've never liked the navy Red Sox caps. It's the same blue as the Yankees; that just seems wrong to me. Between the two, I think Boston has the better cap, but the two teams ought to have more contrast between them. That's why I don't like these throwbacks: This is what the Yankees would wear if the team relocated to Boston and just swapped their jersey script.

I'd rather see Boston switch to red and dark green. I know that every single person I'm related to would instantly become a merchandise-buying Red Sox fan if the team wore green. But barring that very unlikely radical change, I think a return to the red caps would be a good idea. (Though not with the blue bill; that has never looked good. A contrast-color bill needs to be lighter than the crown.) The dark blue B with a white outline on red would be a very distinctive look -- I believe that the new D-Backs unis are the only others in baseball that features a cap logo that's darker in tone than the cap.

20082614447.png

Thank God those Red Sox road uniforms are a thing of the past! I was thrilled when the team brought their customized font to the road unis.

I totally agree.

When the Red Sox went to the home font for the road Boston, it was like they completed something unfinished about their uniforms. That old Boston could have gone with any team, but the new Boston just says Red Sox.

But these uniforms are OK for throwbacks.

Thank God those Red Sox road uniforms are a thing of the past! I was thrilled when the team brought their customized font to the road unis.

I totally agree.

When the Red Sox went to the home font for the road Boston, it was like they completed something unfinished about their uniforms. That old Boston could have gone with any team, but the new Boston just says Red Sox.

But these uniforms are OK for throwbacks.

The road "BOSTON" font was identical to the current road font/longtime home font during much of the 1970s. Looks like they adopted that "BOSTON" font on the front when they switched to double-knit pullovers some time during the '72 season.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=AL&city=Boston&lowYear=1970&highYear=1979&sort=year&increment=9&=Display+uniforms

The road "BOSTON" font was identical to the current road font/longtime home font during much of the 1970s.

From 1972 through 1978, to be precise. In 1979 the Red Sox switched to the Navy block font on the road uniforms. The team utilized said block font through the 1989 season. In 1990, the switch was made back to using the stylized font on both home and road uniforms (Red letters outlined in Navy on both unis).

The stylized font was used on both the home and road jerseys beginning in 1936 and continuing on both until 1968 (Red outlined in Navy on the home unis; Navy outlined in Red on the road unis). From 1969 through 1971 a switch was made to using a Navy block font outlined in Red on the road uniforms.

The earliest approximation of the current stylized font on Boston's caps appeared in 1933, albeit without the White trim. This was also the first year in which the Red Sox sported their familiar navy cap (though the team had worn a Navy cap in it's Boston Americans incarnation for a single season in 1902). Unless I'm mistaken, the White trim around the Red "B" seems to have been added in time for the 1946 season.

The Red crown/Navy visor caps were worn full-time by the Red Sox from 1975 through 1978.

Archived