Henry H. Goddard Convocation Center

WJMorris3

The South Jersey Polytechnic Institute will not only be fielding a football team, but a basketball team as well in the NFCA. Their arena is the Henry H. Goddard Convocation Center and seats 2,640. Images of the arena can be seen below.

Goddardleft.jpg

Goddardright.jpg

Goddardwrestle.jpg

Comments and critique are always welcome. In addition, any other views you would like to see, I can provide.

LvZYtbZ.png

To be honest, it looks generic -- as if it could have been in any D3 college, or, for that matter, a high school of any size.

It is missing a few things:

(1) Scorer's table, perhaps with ads from team sponsors

(2) Media locations (I assume SJT will have at least radio -- WSJT, perhaps?)

(3) Championship banners, or banners celebrating some kind of accomplishment (there's a lot of room on the ends, it seems, for that or at least more team sponsors)

(4) Some kind of "Fan Zone" area

(5) The name of the arena, either as a logo or running down the sidelines as the SJT name runs down the end lines

I'd think about doing something a little less modern, too, maybe. Look for some pics of the Boston Garden, the old Montreal Forum(s), the old Madison Square Garden(s) or other old arenas (like, say, the old Darby Gymnasium at Grinnell College -- wood ceiling, among other things) for some inspiration. I realize you're not building a 15,000-seat gym here, but the older places had more character than today's gyms.

Packers-2.png

To be honest, it looks generic -- as if it could have been in any D3 college, or, for that matter, a high school of any size.

It is missing a few things:

(1) Scorer's table, perhaps with ads from team sponsors

(2) Media locations (I assume SJT will have at least radio -- WSJT, perhaps?)

(3) Championship banners, or banners celebrating some kind of accomplishment (there's a lot of room on the ends, it seems, for that or at least more team sponsors)

(4) Some kind of "Fan Zone" area

(5) The name of the arena, either as a logo or running down the sidelines as the SJT name runs down the end lines

I'd think about doing something a little less modern, too, maybe. Look for some pics of the Boston Garden, the old Montreal Forum(s), the old Madison Square Garden(s) or other old arenas (like, say, the old Darby Gymnasium at Grinnell College -- wood ceiling, among other things) for some inspiration. I realize you're not building a 15,000-seat gym here, but the older places had more character than today's gyms.

In regards to (5), I must note that I do have the name of the arena running down one end line, as the school's name runs down the other end. Scorer's table I hadn't quite gotten to yet. (Of course, The South Jersey Polytechnic Institute believes in academics first.)

LvZYtbZ.png

• 5 months later...

Well, I know this is a pretty old bump, but I might as well only use one thread.

I realized that the "barn" methodology just wasn't working for the Goddard Convocation Center, so I decided to go with a little bit of a different design. Again, this is a work in progress. (Just click on the photo to see a much larger picture.)

2224667421_3615153142.jpg

Comments and critiques are certainly welcome.

LvZYtbZ.png

The new one does look alot better than the first design. Do you have anymore pictures from your new design?

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

nice touch putting ROOSTERS in the seats :)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Needs rims.

Other than that it looks really good. Is the roof flat?

Roof is not flat, the center of the roof is ten feet higher than the roof at the long walls.

Rims are coming shortly, I'm debating whether to hang them or not (most likely not).

LvZYtbZ.png

did you make this all yourself, of did you take bits and pieces from the 3d warehouse?

This is wonderful. I just think it should be rectangular, instead of having it come in at the corner of the building.

The one thing I bummed from the 3D warehouse was the backboard and assembly, though I did the shot clock myself to make it look like (insert scoreboard company brand here) manufactured it. Stands dimensions come from (insert telescoping stands manufacturer here). LMUpepbander did the logo for me awhile back, I just imported it into SketchUp myself. Everything else is mine.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived