[HOCKEY] Canada/Russia Superseries Jerseys

Frankie

With the U20 series starting tomorrow, will either Canada or the Russians wear a retro 72 jersey to further honour the original Summit Series? I would wager the Russians wouldn't, because USSR kits are completely different politically from a Russian sweater. However, anyone think that Nike has made up the 72 jerseys, and Canada will wear them?

Juventus.png

Id love to see Canada wear the 72 set or the gold Winnipeg Falcons set Canada wore at the olympics. I guess we'll see.

ACtually, I just looked at the hockey Canada site, and it looks like Canada will wear the usual sets (which isn't surprising). I hope though when they come back to Canada, we get to see some sort of retro theme.

Juventus.png

just hopefully not that ugly gold jersey (which i believe was the winnipeg team that won the olympics, or the world championshop in the 30's) that was worn once during the world cup and once again in the world juniors in grand forks.

and i am pumped as hell to go to game 8 in vancouver.

just hopefully not that ugly gold jersey (which i believe was the Winnipeg team that won the Olympics, or the world championship in the 30's) that was worn once during the world cup and once again in the world juniors in grand forks.

I thought that the World Cup was the only outing for the Gold jerseys. I don't recall them wearing the gold Falcons jerseys in Grand Forks. Do you have any pics or details of the game they were worn? Was it an exhibition before the actual tournament?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I actually heard an interview with Bob Nicholson a few months back when they announced the series that the members of Team Canada '72 hold the rights to those jerseys, and Nicholson felt it wouldn't have been right to try and negotiate with them and take money from potential sales of these jerseys away from the'72 alumni. Or something like that. Anyway, the impression I got was that it was discussed and discarded for legal reasons in the formative stages.

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

just hopefully not that ugly gold jersey (which i believe was the Winnipeg team that won the Olympics, or the world championship in the 30's) that was worn once during the world cup and once again in the world juniors in grand forks.

I thought that the World Cup was the only outing for the Gold jerseys. I don't recall them wearing the gold Falcons jerseys in Grand Forks. Do you have any pics or details of the game they were worn? Was it an exhibition before the actual tournament?

can't recall, i could be wrong, i just have a faint memory of it for some reason. possibly during those pre-tourney games they had in winnipeg instead.

can't recall, i could be wrong, i just have a faint memory of it for some reason. possibly during those pre-tourney games they had in winnipeg instead.

You are correct.

Swifts btw in Game 1 of this tourney.

Yeah, they were worn in a pre-tournament exhibition game against Finland, Jeff. (6-0 Victory for Canada, December 20, 2004, at the MTS Centre, Winnipeg)

CrosbySidneyMondial2004.jpg

Yeah, they were worn in a pre-tournament exhibition game against Finland, Jeff. (6-0 Victory for Canada, December 20, 2004, at the MTS Centre, Winnipeg)

CrosbySidneyMondial2004.jpg

Oh, great. Crosby wore that damn jersey. Now I have an excuse to get another one. :mad:

Thanks for the info guys. I never knew those were worn after the World Cup.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Canada will wear the 1972 replica jersey in Game 5 of the series in Winnipeg.

-Erik-

That is the plan, although watching a replay of yesterday's Game 4 on TSN was the first time I had heard of it. Hockey Canada confirms it here, adding that the jerseys and helmets will be auctioned off.

The jersey shown on TSN also had a "Team of the Century 1972" patch on it, which is also on the jerseys pictured in the eBay listings. We'll have to see if those make onto the on-ice versions.

Just flipped on Game 7 from Red Deer ... Canada is wearing their black Nike Swifts with black socks. All the Canadian players have "CANADA" on the nameplates as well.

Just flipped on Game 7 from Red Deer ... Canada is wearing their black Nike Swifts with black socks. All the Canadian players have "CANADA" on the nameplates as well.

Right as you posted this I just noticed the nameplates. WTF?! I know they had em on the '72 jerseys, but why the current ones?

Archived