Detroit Free Press readers choose favorite Detroit uniform

Proc

In a very "scientific" poll :P The Detroit Free Press polled 1,200 people as to which of the four major, Detroit sports teams uniforms they liked best.

The Red Wings won.

44.5% - Red Wings (with the home/red jersey shown in the article.)

33.5% - Tigers (I thought this would've won, especially the ever-classic home white with the old English "D")

14.8% - Lions (50 years of losing contibuted to this and although hated on this board, the black trim has been accepted.)

7.1% - Pistons (classy/classic, but not the overall favorite of the Motowners)

Link to Free Press article

That's about what I'd expect. The Red Wings uniforms would be horribly bland and unacceptable if it weren't for the tradition and all. Simply basing my opinion on the looks without attaching any bias based on how much I like the teams or how long they've worn their current sets, I'd have to say the Pistons looks the best. The Tigers are a close second (the home uniforms, while classic, are a little boring for my tastes). The Wings are third, though the red jersey is far worse than the white one. The Lions are last, not because of the black, but because it isn't integrated well into the design. Also, I've never really liked the logo much.

For me:

I. Tigers (Their home, along with the Red Sox and Yankees is what a baseball uniform should be)

II. Pistons (A fantastic upgrade of their classic "Bad Boys" uniform, hate the alternate red jersey)

III. Red Wings (Their Road uniform is awesome, their home looks like skating blood clots)

IV. Lions (I don't like the black trim for the sake of black trim)

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I suppose I should've put my own list here.

1. Tigers home. Amongst the best in any sport.

2. Wings road. The white is excellent.

3. Lions white. The black is incorporated very nice in the road uniform, whereas its an afterthought in the home.

4. Pistons blue. I like the "Detroit" across the front. Excellent road uniform.

Oh, Detroit. Not surprised the Wings won. We do love our Red Wings, and, of course, their jerseys. I'm surprised the Lions beat out the Pistons. Although, if we're going with full sets, I guess the Lions black alts are less bad than the Pistons reds, and their home and away sets are about even. Yes, although not so loved on this board, Detroiters have accepted the move from "Blue and Silver" to "Black, Silver and Honolulu Blue".

If we judge on full sets, my list is in the same order as the Freep readers (although, personally, I'm a Detroit News guy. I love having two major papers). However, jersey by jersey:

1. Detroit Tigers Home Whites

2. Detroit Red Wings Whites (Away for now)

3. Detroit Red Wings Reds (Home)

4. Detroit Tigers Away Grays

5. Detroit Lions Home Blues

6. Detroit Pistons Home Whites

7. Detroit Pistons Away Blues

8. Detroit Lions Away Whites

9. Detroit Lions Alternate Blacks

10. Detroit Pistons Alternate Reds

Of course, the best jersey set in the state is by far Michigan football. But, that's not the question that was asked.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

IDK why the Lions incorporated the black trim to their uniforms. Maybe it could be due to the fact they're playing in the NFC North, which is also known as the "Black & Blue" division. Then again, I'm not quite sure.

YOZXkBG.png?1

IDK why the Lions incorporated the black trim to their uniforms. Maybe it could be due to the fact they're playing in the NFC North, which is also known as the "Black & Blue" division. Then again, I'm not quite sure.

The answer to that question starts and ends with their president and CEO, Mr. Ineptitude himself, one Matthew George Millen. He and Jerry Glanville have the same issue: their love affair with the color black. In Millen's case, it's a little more deep-rooted than just a personal preference: he spent 8 or 9 years backing the line for the Oakland Raiders, so silver and black is in his system. And the Lions already have silver, so (I believe his thought was) "why not add black to get them to look more like my old team"? (That also is why I believe he instituted that black third jersey 98% of this commuity despises so much.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The answer to that question starts and ends with their president and CEO, Mr. Ineptitude himself, one Matthew George Millen. He and Jerry Glanville have the same issue: their love affair with the color black. In Millen's case, it's a little more deep-rooted than just a personal preference: he spent 8 or 9 years backing the line for the Oakland Raiders, so silver and black is in his system. And the Lions already have silver, so (I believe his thought was) "why not add black to get them to look more like my old team"? (That also is why I believe he instituted that black third jersey 98% of this commuity despises so much.)

However, you are missing what is ACTUALLY important. It doesn't matter whether the uniwatchers and logo freaks dislike it. It matters if the city in which the team plays likes it, or if they feel their tradition has been violated. And, the overwhelming answer from Lions fans is: no. We (myself included in that we) tend to be cool with it. Do I love the black jerseys? No. Am I cool with the black trim? Yes. Sure, I wouldn't remind a return to straight up blue and silver, but, again, most Lions fans are perfectly fine with the move.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

I said it here on this board before...this is what I wish the Lions would go back to...the 1980s Billy Sims' era with the silver numbers outlined in white:

billysims.jpg

I agree 100%. The silver numerals outlined in white is such a classy look.

Archived