FBS Team @ FCS Team

rock55choc

While flipping through the pages of my 2007 Athlon, I noticed that Troy is playing a ROAD game at Western Kentucky this season. This is unique to me because I have never before seen a FBS (D-1A) team play at a FCS (D-1AA) team. Does anyone know of any other times that a higher level team has played om the road at a lower level school ?? I also found it odd to further find out that Western Kentucky plays a ridiculous number of FBS teams. (6) They sure are cashing in the paycheck in 2007. Seems like there isn't enough room for their conference slate by playing six non conference matchups. What conference do they play in anyway ??

LibertyBowl.png

Western Kentucky IIRC is going through a "transitional" year from Division I FCS to FBS. As part of that, of course, they are playing several additional FBS schools. They used to be part of the Gateway Conference, but plan to join the Sun Belt once the transition is over.

The transition will be full as of the 2009 season according to wikipedia.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Does anyone know of any other times that a higher level team has played om the road at a lower level school ??

Kent State played at Youngstown State twice during the 90s.

Idaho has played at Montana three times since moving to I-A.

Both Army and Navy regularly played road games against Ivy League schools until the late 80s.

IndianapolisSpeedsters.png

Thanks to WKU, we had to pull our trip to Ball State this year. The Sun Belt commissioner wanted all of the Sun Belt teams to play WKU this year, so some teams, including us, had to make room in their schedules to play them this year while they are transitioning to 1-A.

And NOT going to Muncie is bad because....?

Well, it would of been worth the expeerience to play against a fellow mid-major instead of taking the usual smackdown against a BCS school.. Plus, it's bad enough that Troy has to play at Florida, at Arkansas AND at Georgia (God, SEC teams don't have that kind of Road OOC schedule), like they need another road game.

But, yeah. WKU is moving up to the FBS starting this year and they become a full fledged SBC Football playing member in 2009.

And NOT going to Muncie is bad because....?

Well, it would of been worth the expeerience to play against a fellow mid-major instead of taking the usual smackdown against a BCS school.. Plus, it's bad enough that Troy has to play at Florida, at Arkansas AND at Georgia (God, SEC teams don't have that kind of Road OOC schedule), like they need another road game.

But, yeah. WKU is moving up to the FBS starting this year and they become a full fledged SBC Football playing member in 2009.

The Sun Belt is made of nothing BUT mid major schools. And didn't they choose to play those SEC schools? Most likely a 2- or 3-for-1 deal which can't be bad for Troy financially.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

You're probably right on that part... Money drives everything for a D-I school. But, there are occasions where fellow mid-majors do play against each (Example would be tonight's game between Tulsa and Louisiana Monroe).

Archived