1990 New Jersey Nets uniforms

xylograph

You know, it absolutely kills me that just about EVERY Nets logo I've seen doesn't have a NET!!!!!! Even the current one has a rim but no alas....NO NET!

You'd think they make a concerted effort to put an actual net or some kind of reference to a net in the next logo. I used to look at the old Cavs light blue and black logo and think that it would make a better Net logo than any of the Nets' logos.

...okay, rant over ^_^

Lol! In all fairness to the Nets, who've been beset by horribly bad uniform and logo choices throughout their painful existence, there's not much you can do with a "net" in a logo.

That being said, this was my alltime favorite Net logo, and it follow one of my rules nicely: When it doubt about graphically representing the team name, go for the location instead:

506878752_5246cca860_m.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, it absolutely kills me that just about EVERY Nets logo I've seen doesn't have a NET!!!!!! Even the current one has a rim but no alas....NO NET!

You'd think they make a concerted effort to put an actual net or some kind of reference to a net in the next logo. I used to look at the old Cavs light blue and black logo and think that it would make a better Net logo than any of the Nets' logos.

...okay, rant over ^_^

Lol! In all fairness to the Nets, who've been beset by horribly bad uniform and logo choices throughout their painful existence, there's not much you can do with a "net" in a logo.

That being said, this was my alltime favorite Net logo, and it follow one of my rules nicely: When it doubt about graphically representing the team name, go for the location instead:

506878752_5246cca860_m.jpg

What the...? Double post.

So let me do this: Didn't the Nets have a gradient in the logo at one point, on a more solid blue uni?

I seem to recall the last year or two before they switched to the current set, they did have the gradient version of their logo on the shorts rather than the solid red version.

Found this:

Derrick-Coleman_75353.jpg

Guess I thought the main wordmark was a gradient like the Bucks alt above. Maybe not.

Check out that sellout crowd.

What the...? Double post.

So let me do this: Didn't the Nets have a gradient in the logo at one point, on a more solid blue uni?

I seem to recall the last year or two before they switched to the current set, they did have the gradient version of their logo on the shorts rather than the solid red version.

Found this:

Derrick-Coleman_75353.jpg

Guess I thought the main wordmark was a gradient like the Bucks alt above. Maybe not.

Check out that sellout crowd.

That's a packed house for Brendan Byrne.

This took me about 2 minutes to find at gettyimages. Did anyone bother trying?

1267719130_3969d0e197.jpg

I'm debating what is the worst thing about the uniform: The tie-die baby blue or the short shorts.....Hmmmmmm

Those aint short shorts. That's the proper length. We've been inundated with the pantaloons over the past decade that people forget...

Proper length? Would you go to the grocery store in shorts of that length? Thems pedo shorts, my friend!

Call me crazy but I think those unis look pretty sweet. They just look bad in the pic because the shorts are too short and the jersey looks skin tight!

It's too bad that the official Mitchell & Ness Petrovic throwback is the solid blue of later years. Imagine D-O-Double Giizzle walking around with one of those in a video ...

This took me about 2 minutes to find at gettyimages. Did anyone bother trying?

I'm debating what is the worst thing about the uniform: The tie-die baby blue or the short shorts.....Hmmmmmm

Those aint short shorts. That's the proper length. We've been inundated with the pantaloons over the past decade that people forget...

Thems pedo shorts, my friend!

Now, yes. In 1990, no.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Call me crazy but I think those unis look pretty sweet.

OK: You're crazy.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I always thought those were pretty cool. Not sure I'd want to see them now, but for their day, they were fun.

As for the short length, those aren't short shorts.

*THESE* were short shorts:

bird-magic-16x20-thumb.jpg

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I seem to remember the "white jerseys" were the same gradient in reverse... (blue at bottom)

As far as tie dyed jersey sets go. After the fall of the Communist Block, didn't Yugoslavia or Lithunia wear green/yellow tie dyed warmups at Olympics because they were sponsored or the jerseys bought by the Greatful Dead?

As for short shorts...

These are short shorts...

http://www.nba.com/jazz/0001images/history_53.jpg

Mark Eaton, all 7'4" of him... 3 oz of material..

RV

Commissioner, V League

http://vleague.vetsson.net

About those gradients:

Friends of mine worked at a design studio where they were given the charge of designing third jerseys for a number of NHL teams somewhere around the early- to mid-'90s. They were given one specific directive: incoporate gradients into all of the jersey.

See, the jersey manufacturer was for the first time able to use the particular technology (I believe this technology was/is called die-sublimaiton) that allowed them to make jerseys with gradients, and so for some reason the NHL decided that all of the new third jerseys would have them. The monstrosity that was the Kings' third jersey (cool Kings' head, developed by Ken Loh -- he of New England Patriots' logo fame -- but horrible, swooping gradation) was one of the jerseys that came of this.

So it seems to me that a similar thing was happening here with the Nets' jersey in question. They had a technology that they could now use on jerseys, and so they used it despite the fact that it resulted in an abomination.

Bottom line? Don't use a technology just because it's available!

Archived