Boston Lacrosse

Jer15

I got the same e-mail and I suggested the "Boston Battalion". I love the name "Boston Massacre" because it sounds tough but a pro sports team would never name itself after a tragedy where innocent people died.

Yeah, nobody's ever died from Hurricanes or Earthquakes or an Avalanche...

That's different, the Massacre name refers to a specific event where murders took place. The examples you mentioned are all naturally occurring events that happen often and they do not all have to end in death. If they named the team "Boston Massacre" it would cause a huge controversy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got the same e-mail and I suggested the "Boston Battalion". I love the name "Boston Massacre" because it sounds tough but a pro sports team would never name itself after a tragedy where innocent people died.

That's different, the Massacre name refers to a specific event where murders took place. The examples you mentioned are all naturally occurring events that happen often and they do not all have to end in death. If they named the team "Boston Massacre" it would cause a huge controversy.

IIRC the Carolinas got smacked pretty badly by hurricanes in '96 or '97, and they still named the team after them. San Jose is just south of a city that has had two big famous earthquakes with many deaths.

The Worcester (MA) baseball team is named after a tornado that demolished half the town.

Why are they any different than nameing a team after some people who reportedly may have got what was coming to them?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's different, the Massacre name refers to a specific event where murders took place.

For what it's worth, six men - including British Captain Thomas Preston - were acquitted of murder by a jury of twelve Massachusetts residents. Two other men were found guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter. Future United States President John Adams led the defense team.

While undoubtedly a regrettable incident, and a tragedy for the families of the five men who lost their lives, Sam Adams' labelling of the event as a "massacre" was an example of alarmist propaganda. Determining responsibility for the deaths of the five men is hardly a cut-and-dry exercise. An angry mob of colonists and a group of increasingly nervous British soldiers crossed paths in an emotionally-charged moment in history. The outcome proved deadly.

If they named the team "Boston Massacre" it would cause a huge controversy.

While I'm certain that there would be those who would oppose the team name out of a sense of propriety, I hardly think that it would make for a "huge controversy".

One could conceivably argue that the name of New England's Major League Soccer franchise - the Revolution - is in poor taste. After all, 50,000 Americans lost their lives in the American Revolutionary War, at least some of whom must have been innocent victims.

Why are they any different than nameing a team after some people who reportedly may have got what was coming to them?

That, and the fact that the only person calling it a massacre was a certain ornery local brewer...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

A poster on the NLL claims that it'll be the Boston Wolves. whether that's true or not is another matter.

I hope not.

It's kinda uninspired.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

A poster on the NLL claims that it'll be the Boston Wolves. whether that's true or not is another matter.

I hope not.

It's kinda uninspired.

I agree. I like suggestions of "Battalion" and "Rebellion" but I prefer plual names such as the Titans, Roughnecks. Maybe they could go with "Grenadiers" if they want to go down the military route.

Rebellion is a good idea!

I really like that!

I still don't see what's wrong with bringing back the Blazers nickname though.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

That's different, the Massacre name refers to a specific event where murders took place.

For what it's worth, six men - including British Captain Thomas Preston - were acquitted of murder by a jury of twelve Massachusetts residents. Two other men were found guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter. Future United States President John Adams led the defense team.

While undoubtedly a regrettable incident, and a tragedy for the families of the five men who lost their lives, Sam Adams' labelling of the event as a "massacre" was an example of alarmist propaganda. Determining responsibility for the deaths of the five men is hardly a cut-and-dry exercise. An angry mob of colonists and a group of increasingly nervous British soldiers crossed paths in an emotionally-charged moment in history. The outcome proved deadly.

While I'm certain that there would be those who would oppose the team name out of a sense of propriety, I hardly think that it would make for a "huge controversy".

One could conceivably argue that the name of New England's Major League Soccer franchise - the Revolution - is in poor taste. After all, 50,000 Americans lost their lives in the American Revolutionary War, at least some of whom must have been innocent victims.

It's simply just too soon to call a Boston team "Massacre." Let's wait a couple generations, see how things sort out, and then maybe with the benefit of some distance, we consider a relevant historical event to be appropriate for team-naming.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

IIRC the Carolinas got smacked pretty badly by hurricanes in '96 or '97, and they still named the team after them. San Jose is just south of a city that has had two big famous earthquakes with many deaths.

The Worcester (MA) baseball team is named after a tornado that demolished half the town.

Chicago Fire?

Atlanta Flames back in the day?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

It's simply just too soon to call a Boston team "Massacre." Let's wait a couple generations, see how things sort out, and then maybe with the benefit of some distance, we consider a relevant historical event to be appropriate for team-naming.

All things considered, this was pretty funny.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Tell that to the Chicago Fire.

Isn't anyone in New England getting tired of the "naming sports teams after stuff that happened 200 years ago" theme? Most of these name suggestions have to deal with the Revolutionary War, so I am rooting for the name Nor'easters just in spite of that.

Considering the role the Boston area played in the Revolutionary War, I think it's more than appropriate.

Besides, last I looked there are only two teams in New England that play off the Revolutionary War imagery, and they're both in Foxboro.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a leak on the Inside Lacrosse boards that said the name would be the Blazers. The name of the Boston forum was changed and all, but quickly changed back. The guys over at the Outsider's Guide boards are convinced the name will be the Blazers.

I like it, I used to have season tickets waaay back when they played in Worcester, and I do like the Blazers name, although Chicago has the same color scheme as the old incarnation...

I think the American Revolution symbolizes something very different than the Boston Massacre. When you think of the Revolution, you think of the result; freedom and independence. Even though many soldiers lost their lives in battle the result was a glorious victory and the succession of the American Colonies from the control of the British Empire. I doubt that the Boston Massacre has the same connotation, therefore it comes across so negatively. In the end, both events did play very important parts in our history...I just think our general impressions of them looking back in history are quite different. That being said I personally find nothing at all wrong with using the name Revolution for a team...or a helmet :P

There was a leak on the Inside Lacrosse boards that said the name would be the Blazers.

In which case the opportunity to launch the franchise with a bold, new, truly creative identity has been lost. How unfortunate. Frankly, I found the previous Boston Blazers' identity package to have been singularly uninspired, so the prospect of Boston Blazers redux leaves me unimpressed.

Unless, that is, in an attempt to tie-in the Blazers name to New England's culture and history, the logo features a running, stick-wielding lacrosse player wearing a helmet, gloves, shorts, turf shoes... along with a Navy Blue sportcoat (i.e. "blazer"), button-down shirt and striped tie. The tongue-in-cheek sartorial link to New England's abundance of private preparatory schools would be priceless. Perhaps the blazer in the logo could feature a prep-school-like crest on the left breast pocket that would serve as a secondary mark for the team. A "logo-within-a-logo", so to speak. :P

Anything less will strike me as an abject failure.

Archived