Boston Lacrosse

Jer15

There was a leak on the Inside Lacrosse boards that said the name would be the Blazers.

In which case the opportunity to launch the franchise with a bold, new, truly creative identity has been lost. How unfortunate. Frankly, I found the previous Boston Blazers' identity package to have been singularly uninspired, so the prospect of Boston Blazers redux leaves me unimpressed.

Unless, that is, in an attempt to tie-in the Blazers name to New England's culture and history, the logo features a running, stick-wielding lacrosse player wearing a helmet, gloves, shorts, turf shoes... along with a Navy Blue sportcoat (i.e. "blazer"), button-down shirt and striped tie. The tongue-in-cheek sartorial link to New England's abundance of private preparatory schools would be priceless. Perhaps the blazer in the logo could feature a prep-school-like crest on the left breast pocket that would serve as a secondary mark for the team. A "logo-within-a-logo", so to speak. :P

Anything less will strike me as an abject failure.

I do like that they went back to Blazers, its a rare nod to the history of the league that largely ignores its history. I remember when the Toronto Rock came into being, there was a small push for the team to be named Bishops - after Jim Bishop, the legendary coach from Toronto, which I thought could've been a great name and identity wrapped up with a nod to the city's lacrosse roots.

About the Blazers, I guess I'd say there's a sentimentality to the name, but I always thought it was a one off alliterative name that sounded pretty cheap, even in the late 80's, when Coors Light sponsored all the dance teams, hair bands were played throughout the entire game, the league was decked out in spandex shorts and the rest of the teams had similarly generic names - Wave, Thunder, Wings, etc.

I'm just happy the team refrained from adding any xxxxx's to their name or making some awful singular name.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived