Most Overdesigned NFL Unis

hawk36

I don't think the Vikings, Chargers, or Lions even belong on that list.

I totally agree with you. Nothing overly wrong with any of these.

Uhhh well maybe not the Charger or Lions, but the Vikings are a complete disaster.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Bills

2. Vikings (the horror, the over-the-top piping horror!)

3. Falcons

4. Chargers (coulda been a great redesign, but noooo.)

5. Cardinals ( I think it looks good but very overdesigned)

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

the chargers, for forcing a white helmet and powder blue onto what could be a great football uniforms

try to please traditionalists and those that live in the modern world at the same time, and it cant be good.

I see nothing wrong with the white helmet.

Neither do I...but the rest of the uni is way too forced. I actually like the modernized powder blue uni much better than the navy one. I just wish they kept the numbers on the helmets and ditched the navy home jerseys.

the chargers, for forcing a white helmet and powder blue onto what could be a great football uniforms

try to please traditionalists and those that live in the modern world at the same time, and it cant be good.

I actually think the white helmet makes the rest of the uni pop. And I'm never a fan of teams in the same division using the same color shells.

I feel you on the powder blue though. Pick one and leave the other alone...

whats wrong with the cardinals uniform?

They are too new for some of the old foggies at this site.

The Cardinals look light years better than those old things they used to wear. Really, what are some of you people looking at? The Cardnal home uniform might be the best uniform in the NFL (even with the stupid grey facemask). Atlanta doesn't look that bad either. The black shoes/black helmet combo really make that uniform.

The Chiefs, Redskins, Cowboys and Panthers all could use an update, and are all too busy, with their 1970's stripes on jerseys/pants or helmets.

The Chiefs are way, way out of style. So are the Deadskins. The only half-way decent Cowboy uniform is their blue set, that they never wear. Their white jerseys, with mismatched blues and green pants are terrible. The Panthers uniforms look cheap and need to tidy up their look. They would look so much better wearing the light blue jerseys with the WHITE pants and blue socks. And, wear the white jersey's with the gray pants, with black socks. Who cares if they look a little bit like the Raiders with that look. The Raiders are irrelevent in the NFL now.

But, I guess since those 4 are now "traditional", they are OK with some of you.

The Cardinals look light years better than those old things they used to wear. Really, what are some of you people looking at? The Cardnal home uniform might be the best uniform in the NFL (even with the stupid grey facemask). Atlanta doesn't look that bad either. The black shoes/black helmet combo really make that uniform.

The Chiefs, Redskins, Cowboys and Panthers all could use an update, and are all too busy, with their 1970's stripes on jerseys/pants or helmets.

The Chiefs are way, way out of style. So are the Deadskins. The only half-way decent Cowboy uniform is their blue set, that they never wear. Their white jerseys, with mismatched blues and green pants are terrible. The Panthers uniforms look cheap and need to tidy up their look. They would look so much better wearing the light blue jerseys with the WHITE pants and blue socks. And, wear the white jersey's with the gray pants, with black socks. Who cares if they look a little bit like the Raiders with that look. The Raiders are irrelevent in the NFL now.

I would bet that if the Cardinal unis came out BEFORE the Falcon unis we might have a different opinion of them. That being said, they are fairly unique I guess and I actually like the design element on the pants. It kind of mimics the Cardinal head logo.

I think when it comes to the Chiefs...they are in need of a tweak. One recommendation I would make for them is to darken up their colors a bit and change the number font on their unis to something a bit more modern. I can see them taking a New England Patriots jersey template and working in their colors successfully.

The Cowboys and Redskins actually have tradition though... although the Skins have worn MUCH better stuff in the past than what they have now.

I agree with the Chiefs and Panthers though... the Panthers especially. That's what happens when you go the ultra-trendy route as an expansion team rather than taking the more low-key approach that the Texans did.

The Browns could stand to use an update too...

::straps on a bullet proof vest and runs in the direction opposite Lake Erie::

The Lions' addition of black is so arbitrary and forced, it's painful.

As someone whose guaranteed to see at least two Lions games on TV per year, I actually like the black around the numerals. It makes the numbers actually pop out at you instead of washing in with the silver outlines they had before. But seeing as how you're (probably) a Lions fan, I'm sure it doesn't make enough of a difference to justify having the black.

I agree that the rest of the black is unnecessary though.

I would bet that if the Cardinal unis came out BEFORE the Falcon unis we might have a different opinion of them. That being said, they are fairly unique I guess and I actually like the design element on the pants. It kind of mimics the Cardinal head logo.

I think when it comes to the Chiefs...they are in need of a tweak. One recommendation I would make for them is to darken up their colors a bit and change the number font on their unis to something a bit more modern. I can see them taking a New England Patriots jersey template and working in their colors successfully.

Why should the Chiefs darken ANYTHING? I think it's refreshing that they've stuck with the color scheme.

I totally agree with you. Nothing overly wrong with any of these.

Milo nailed the reason the Lions must get at least an honorable mention. The black was never necessary, although I would concede illwauk's point that the numbers pop a little on the jerseys. The Eagles did that for years before switching to midnight green. The difference is, for the Eagles, the number outline was the only place anywhere on the uniform that black appeared - not on the helmet, the socks, the pants. Just to outline the numbers. Had the Lions left it at that, I'd say fine. But they went overboard in the name of selling out tradition for merchandising money. The black wound up on the helmets, the logo, the jersey stripes... hell, they even trotted out an all-black alternate jersey. There's still too much black on the Lions' look, and it's just glaring - the collar, helmet and stripes specifically.

Moving on...

1. Bills - the trifecta of overwrought design - clashing colors, unnecessary piping, cheesy/quirky design gimmicks (colored yokes). :puke:

2. Falcons - any uniform set that requires 2 pairs of white pants should be outlawed. Seriously - one with red triangles on the sides, and one with black triangles? Excluding the membership of this community, does anyone in Falconland give a :censored:, or even notice? And to make such a fuss over the one element of the uniform NOBODY buys to wear! :rolleyes:

3a. Bengals - took a near-perfect uniform design and butchered it. The helmet was novel from its first day and continued to set the team apart from the field. The tiger stripes on the jerseys and pants were just enough to be striking. Now, it's all goofy fonts with drop shadows and outlines, and the stripes go wherever they please without regard for restraint.

3b. Vikings - for the same reasons as the Bengals - they took a timeless, perfect uniform and gunked it up simply to gunk it up. As above, the Vikes' helmets were ahead of their time (using the horns as a helmet logo to convey the players "being vikings" and wearing "viking horns" is genius; even if the Rams did it first, it's still a bold idea), the colors are vastly underused, and the uniform was classic football, down to the UCLA-style shoulder stripes. Now, it's numbers that are juuuuust slightly different from block varsity, there's superfluous piping everywhere, and the update made the whole thing worse.

5. Seahawks - I'm going to break from the pack here and call this one out. It's for basically the same reasons as the Bengals and Vikings. The Seahawks had great uniforms - great colors, great helmets, great number/name fonts - and they went backwards in every aspect with the redesign.

COLORS: trade out bright royal blue and green for drab and drabber... with a hint of tacky neon green for... I don't know exactly. DOWNGRADE.

SLEEVES: trade out the too-cool 2-color totem head that wrapped all the way around the sleeve for a sleeve logo smaller than the RBK logo just above it that blends into the contrast-colored sleeves. DOWNGRADE.

NUMBERS: trade out the simple-but-clearly-different font for Block Varsity. DOWNGRADE.

HELMETS: trade out the brilliant silver that really topped off the blue/green of yesteryear for... again, theme and variation of depressing slate gray/blue. DOWNGRADE.

PANTS: trade out silver pants that worked with blue or white jerseys for monochrome madness so boring it depresses me from 4,000 miles away. DOWNGRADE.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• 3 months later...

1. Bengals. They have a unique pattern with their nickname, but tried too hard to mix in all elements.

2. Cards. Their unis look like they have parts cut and pasted elsewhere. The Gray mask on an updated uniform is rediculous.

3. Bills. They had nice unis and now they have a few shades of blue, silver, etc all muddled together with yokes and side panels, etc. Pick something.

4. Chargers. They tried to please every fan of every uniform. It didn't work.

5. Vikes. Another side paneled, piped out, logo above our name because we have too much piping on the sleeves Cardinals ripoff.

KISSwall09.jpg

The Bills are the number culprit. Too many different things going on here. "Let's add have double blue! Let's add silver! Let's do side panels! Let's have a different color yoke!"

Bengals do suffer from this too. They could be simplified and look much much better.

I can see the Falcons doing this. The sleeves get me. I have no problem with the Cardnals, though.

The Lions' addition of black is so arbitrary and forced, it's painful.

As someone whose guaranteed to see at least two Lions games on TV per year, I actually like the black around the numerals. It makes the numbers actually pop out at you instead of washing in with the silver outlines they had before. But seeing as how you're (probably) a Lions fan, I'm sure it doesn't make enough of a difference to justify having the black.

I agree that the rest of the black is unnecessary though.

I think the black could work if they just cleaned it up a bit.

lions_black3.jpg

Archived