MLB Managers and Coaches pullovers and smocks

nybatt

read with delight in this morning NY Post that MLB's Bob Watson entered the red sox dugout last night (inappropriate I might add) to inform terry francona that he NEEDS TO WEAR HIS UNIFORM JERSEY, not the fleece pullover he always dons. it was also noted in the article that the yankee hitting coach (who has worn his jersey TWICE all season) was recently fined 1K for wearing his smock.

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

next move....... uniform pant length?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
read with delight in this morning NY Post that MLB's Bob Watson entered the red sox dugout last night (inappropriate I might add) to inform terry francona that he NEEDS TO WEAR HIS UNIFORM JERSEY, not the fleece pullover he always dons. it was also noted in the article that the yankee hitting coach (who has worn his jersey TWICE all season) was recently fined 1K for wearing his smock.

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

And if you knew Francona's health history, you'd know why he always wears his fleece (even with the cutoff sleeves)...

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

And if you knew Francona's health history, you'd know why he always wears his fleece (even with the cutoff sleeves)...

I don't know his health history, but he can always wear a fleece under his jersey.

It always bugged the hell out of me that Mike Hargrove never wore a jersey. I'm guessing we'd also be reading about him if he hadn't retired.

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

I don't know his health history, but he can always wear a fleece under his jersey.

It always bugged the hell out of me that Mike Hargrove never wore a jersey. I'm guessing we'd also be reading about him if he hadn't retired.

If there is a health condition, hopefully Francona has made that clear to MLB officials. If not, he should do so and maybe they can reach a compromise. It sounds as if Francona has been ignoring the warnings and hasn't given proper documentation for wearing the fleece.

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

to quote sgt. hulka: "lighten up francis"....

I didn't tell francona to not wear his fleece, beantown... but he is NOT in uniform.

as leopard said, wear it underneath... BRILLIANT.

I think it is ridiculous that baseball managers and coaches have to wear uniforms - with numbers on them no less. This isn't the early 1900's when coaches also played the field! Maybe it is appropriate for the third / first base coaches, since they are actualy out in the field of play, but even that is a stretch. I'm sure they could come up with coach-specific outfits that wouldn't force these old, mostly out-of-shape managers into tight uniforms.

John Gibbons also never wears a jersey, currently... after 3 years as the manager here I had to see him as a 3rd base coach in the All-Star Game to find out what number he wears.

I'll keep ears and eyes peeled to see if anything happens with that.

MLB's Bob Watson entered the red sox dugout last night ... to inform terry francona that he NEEDS TO WEAR HIS UNIFORM JERSEY, not the fleece pullover he always dons. ...

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

As long as the manager is doing a good job, I don't mind him not wearing a uniform. Manny Acta can wear whatever he darn well wants this season. But when a manager is running his team into the ground, then I hold his refusal to wear a regulation uniform against him. Frank Robinson*, for example, just pissed me off with his little short-sleeve windbreaker shirt. Which tells me that my opinion on coaches' uniforms isn't really based on any high principle. I don't think managers should wear suit and tie like in basketball or casual attire like in football. Baseball managers do engage in on-the-feld coaching before games, making athletic clothing appropriate. And they come onto the field of play much more often than coaches in other sports -- and some baseball coaches actually have positions on the field of play. The fact that everyone in the dugout must be in uniform is just old-fashioned enough of an idea that it appeals to me.

As to pants length, if some teams can regulate facial hair and mullets, why can't they regulate uniform appearance? "Our uniform includes stockings. If you don't want to wear our uniform, here is a list of independent professional leagues. I'm sure the St. Paul Saints would be happy to have you." I suppose the real trick is to enforce this rule first across the board in a team's minor-league system, so that rookies reach the bigs accustomed to the fact that on this team, we wear our socks up like baseball men. Let it be a point of pride for the organizational players, and eventually it will be accepted by the tradees and free agents as part of their new team's culture.

*Does it go without saying that whatever his merits or demerits as a manager, Frank Robinson is a baseball god, a real hero of the game and one of the few members of the Hall of Fame who is regularly underrated as a player, and that despite his horse-patootey management it was a great gift to have him in DC for a couple of years? It does now.

MLB's Bob Watson entered the red sox dugout last night ... to inform terry francona that he NEEDS TO WEAR HIS UNIFORM JERSEY, not the fleece pullover he always dons. ...

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

As long as the manager is doing a good job, I don't mind him not wearing a uniform. Manny Acta can wear whatever he darn well wants this season. But when a manager is running his team into the ground, then I hold his refusal to wear a regulation uniform against him. Frank Robinson*, for example, just pissed me off with his little short-sleeve windbreaker shirt. Which tells me that my opinion on coaches' uniforms isn't really based on any high principle. I don't think managers should wear suit and tie like in basketball or casual attire like in football. Baseball managers do engage in on-the-feld coaching before games, making athletic clothing appropriate. And they come onto the field of play much more often than coaches in other sports -- and some baseball coaches actually have positions on the field of play. The fact that everyone in the dugout must be in uniform is just old-fashioned enough of an idea that it appeals to me.

As to pants length, if some teams can regulate facial hair and mullets, why can't they regulate uniform appearance? "Our uniform includes stockings. If you don't want to wear our uniform, here is a list of independent professional leagues. I'm sure the St. Paul Saints would be happy to have you." I suppose the real trick is to enforce this rule first across the board in a team's minor-league system, so that rookies reach the bigs accustomed to the fact that on this team, we wear our socks up like baseball men. Let it be a point of pride for the organizational players, and eventually it will be accepted by the tradees and free agents as part of their new team's culture.

*Does it go without saying that whatever his merits or demerits as a manager, Frank Robinson is a baseball god, a real hero of the game and one of the few members of the Hall of Fame who is regularly underrated as a player, and that despite his horse-patootey management it was a great gift to have him in DC for a couple of years? It does now.

Cardinals require that all Minor leaguers wear their pant legs up and show the socks, the STRIPED socks. Although when a Major Leaguer is doing a rehab assignment, I don't believe they have to abide by this rule. Cal Eldred, Juan Encarnacion, and maybe one or two others I can't think of, have all done rehab stints here and all have worn their pants to their shoes. Todd Wellemeyer recently did a one-inning stint, but I think he actually wore his pants up. Though he started the season at Memphis and hadn't really been at the bigs for a significant amount of time.

But players like Anthony Reyes and Brendan Ryan have reached the big club now, but continued to wear their pants the same way. Goes to show that this idea can actually work.

For the record, what is Francona's health issue? I seem to remember hearing something about his health when he managed the Bham Barons.

Taken from this article written at the time of Francona's last health scare:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article....sp&c_id=bos

In the fall of 2002, Francona developed chest pains when he was in Seattle for a job interview with the Mariners. Francona later said he thought he was having a heart attack.

When he returned to his home in Philadelphia, a blood clot -- thought to have resulted following a seemingly routine surgery on his left knee -- was found in his lungs. He suffered a pulmonary embolism on each side of his lungs and spent four days in the hospital, before being given blood thinners to prevent future clotting.

"They told me I was lucky," Francona told Jackie MacMullan of The Boston Globe in February 2004.

From that ordeal, which also resulted in a staph infection and subsequent knee surgeries, Francona suffered permanent damage to his circulation, which is one of the reasons he almost always wears a fleece top in the dugout, instead of the standard uniform shirt.

Someone already mentioned what the solution to the problem is: Wear the fleece under the jersey!

This is one of those issues that I just don't agree with the majority about. I honestly couldn't care less what the manager is wearing. In fact, I think it's silly that the COACH has to wear the same uniform his players do. Sure, it's in the rules, but it's an outdated rule from an era where the manager also played a position on the field. That doesn't happen anymore.

Also, let's not forget that this is the same board that called for the NFL to allow Mike Nolan to wear a suit, even though it was against the rules of sideline dress. Y'all ain't real consistent around here, you know!

Also, let's not forget that this is the same board that called for the NFL to allow Mike Nolan to wear a suit, even though it was against the rules of sideline dress. Y'all ain't real consistent around here, you know!

That's because the two traditions are inconsistent. Like it or not, baseball tradition calls for the manager and coaches to be in uniform (Connie Mack and some others excepted). On the other hand, the tradition in football is for the coaches (or at the least the head coach) to be in a suit or jacket.

*suddenly shudders at the thought of Tom Landry walking the sideline in a varsity letterman's jacket or a nylon pullover windbreaker*

Agree with the concept that managers should have to wear the uniform top. Short-sleeve fleeces, hoodies and short-sleeve windbreakers should be no-nos, but wearing the long sleeve performance fleece seems equal to wearing the jacket (the heavy, zip-up kind) to me.

And wear the fleece on the outside too; God forbid they should wear the Jim Edmonds style, with the long-sleeve windbreaker under the uniform top.

I think it is ridiculous that baseball managers and coaches have to wear uniforms - with numbers on them no less. This isn't the early 1900's when coaches also played the field! Maybe it is appropriate for the third / first base coaches, since they are actualy out in the field of play, but even that is a stretch. I'm sure they could come up with coach-specific outfits that wouldn't force these old, mostly out-of-shape managers into tight uniforms.

The only alternative i'd like to see is if they come out nattily-attired in a full suit, Connie Mack style.

I think the NFL is way ahead of MLB and NBA in the uniform regulation department. I think MLB is doing themselves a disservice by not imposing more strict uniform regulations. Long pant legs, players wearing overly baggy jerseys, hats worn to the side....just a bad idea.

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

Cardinals require that all Minor leaguers wear their pant legs up and show the socks, the STRIPED socks. Although when a Major Leaguer is doing a rehab assignment, I don't believe they have to abide by this rule. Cal Eldred, Juan Encarnacion, and maybe one or two others I can't think of, have all done rehab stints here and all have worn their pants to their shoes. Todd Wellemeyer recently did a one-inning stint, but I think he actually wore his pants up. Though he started the season at Memphis and hadn't really been at the bigs for a significant amount of time.

But players like Anthony Reyes and Brendan Ryan have reached the big club now, but continued to wear their pants the same way. Goes to show that this idea can actually work.

I don't believe that's true anymore. They lightened up items like this. For instance, playing cards and what not are allowed in the clubhouses now. The players were not enjoying the environment all the rules created (though I saw their purpose), so the Cardinals decided to lighten up.

I'm not entirely sure the sock rule was dropped, but I thought I read that. You're in Springfield working for the club though, so I'll trust you.

Archived