MLB Managers and Coaches pullovers and smocks

nybatt

MLB's Bob Watson entered the red sox dugout last night ... to inform terry francona that he NEEDS TO WEAR HIS UNIFORM JERSEY, not the fleece pullover he always dons. ...

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

next move....... uniform pant length?

As long as the manager is doing a good job, I don't mind him not wearing a uniform. Manny Acta can wear whatever he darn well wants this season. But when a manager is running his team into the ground, then I hold his refusal to wear a regulation uniform against him. Frank Robinson*, for example, just pissed me off with his little short-sleeve windbreaker shirt. Which tells me that my opinion on coaches' uniforms isn't really based on any high principle. I don't think managers should wear suit and tie like in basketball or casual attire like in football. Baseball managers do engage in on-the-feld coaching before games, making athletic clothing appropriate. And they come onto the field of play much more often than coaches in other sports -- and some baseball coaches actually have positions on the field of play. The fact that everyone in the dugout must be in uniform is just old-fashioned enough of an idea that it appeals to me.

As to pants length, if some teams can regulate facial hair and mullets, why can't they regulate uniform appearance? "Our uniform includes stockings. If you don't want to wear our uniform, here is a list of independent professional leagues. I'm sure the St. Paul Saints would be happy to have you." I suppose the real trick is to enforce this rule first across the board in a team's minor-league system, so that rookies reach the bigs accustomed to the fact that on this team, we wear our socks up like baseball men. Let it be a point of pride for the organizational players, and eventually it will be accepted by the tradees and free agents as part of their new team's culture.

*Does it go without saying that whatever his merits or demerits as a manager, Frank Robinson is a baseball god, a real hero of the game and one of the few members of the Hall of Fame who is regularly underrated as a player, and that despite his horse-patootey management it was a great gift to have him in DC for a couple of years? It does now.

Cardinals require that all Minor leaguers wear their pant legs up and show the socks, the STRIPED socks. Although when a Major Leaguer is doing a rehab assignment, I don't believe they have to abide by this rule. Cal Eldred, Juan Encarnacion, and maybe one or two others I can't think of, have all done rehab stints here and all have worn their pants to their shoes. Todd Wellemeyer recently did a one-inning stint, but I think he actually wore his pants up. Though he started the season at Memphis and hadn't really been at the bigs for a significant amount of time.

But players like Anthony Reyes and Brendan Ryan have reached the big club now, but continued to wear their pants the same way. Goes to show that this idea can actually work.

I don't believe that's true anymore. They lightened up items like this. For instance, playing cards and what not are allowed in the clubhouses now. The players were not enjoying the environment all the rules created (though I saw their purpose), so the Cardinals decided to lighten up.

I'm not entirely sure the sock rule was dropped, but I thought I read that. You're in Springfield working for the club though, so I'll trust you.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have no problem with players and coaches wearing the pullovers, as long as they wear their uniform underneath.

if they didnt want them wearing the pullovers period, or the hoodies, then they wouldn't be a part of majestic's authentic collection.

read with delight in this morning NY Post that MLB's Bob Watson entered the red sox dugout last night (inappropriate I might add) to inform terry francona that he NEEDS TO WEAR HIS UNIFORM JERSEY, not the fleece pullover he always dons. it was also noted in the article that the yankee hitting coach (who has worn his jersey TWICE all season) was recently fined 1K for wearing his smock.

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

Francona was informed in July that he needed to do this, not last night. Last night he was checking, and had a security guard check, whether or not he was complying. He already had knowledge of it.

He is allowed to wear his top over the uniform, as long as the uniform is somehow on the body. Doesn't make sense to me, since the uniform top can't be seen anyways, so why even bother enforcing it.

Sounds homerish, but I think he should be allowed to wear what he wants. As in, it has the team logo and the MLB logo, so why not?

Something mentioned in some of the articles about this, but nor mentioned in the thread: in relation to the circulation problem, his health concerns have nothing to do with fleece or doubleknit, it has to do with TUCKING IN his shirt. The circulation problem arises when he has to tuck in the jersey, not from wearing it. THAT is why he wears the fleece. It's so he doesn't have to wear a shirt tucked in. Wearing the fleece under the jersey is going to make no difference. Imagine the stink everyone would make if he walked around the dugout in an untucked jersey.

MLB is well aware of the health concerns. He's told them before, and they still told him to wear the jersey. He's been complying for the most part since last month, when MLB got the stick up their derriere about it.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

read with delight in this morning NY Post that MLB's Bob Watson entered the red sox dugout last night (inappropriate I might add) to inform terry francona that he NEEDS TO WEAR HIS UNIFORM JERSEY, not the fleece pullover he always dons. it was also noted in the article that the yankee hitting coach (who has worn his jersey TWICE all season) was recently fined 1K for wearing his smock.

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

Francona was informed in July that he needed to do this, not last night. Last night he was checking, and had a security guard check, whether or not he was complying. He already had knowledge of it.

He is allowed to wear his top over the uniform, as long as the uniform is somehow on the body. Doesn't make sense to me, since the uniform top can't be seen anyways, so why even bother enforcing it.

Sounds homerish, but I think he should be allowed to wear what he wants. As in, it has the team logo and the MLB logo, so why not?

Well think about it....in the cold of late September or October managers and players are allowed to wear large jackets over their uniforms, so how is it any different when it comes to enforcing it? They should just let him be.

I've seen players wear winter hats over their baseball caps in the field, so why is it so bad to see Francona see his team blow a 14 1/2 game lead to the damn Yankees in a fleece pullover. Shoot, Give him a bat and let him hit....I bet he can do better than some of his knuckleheads did in the Bronx this week.....idiots. Thats a whole other bitter rant for another board.

John Gibbons also never wears a jersey, currently... after 3 years as the manager here I had to see him as a 3rd base coach in the All-Star Game to find out what number he wears.

I'll keep ears and eyes peeled to see if anything happens with that.

He's the first manager I thought of when I read this thread's initial post.

MLB's Bob Watson entered the red sox dugout last night ... to inform terry francona that he NEEDS TO WEAR HIS UNIFORM JERSEY, not the fleece pullover he always dons. ...

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

As long as the manager is doing a good job, I don't mind him not wearing a uniform. Manny Acta can wear whatever he darn well wants this season. But when a manager is running his team into the ground, then I hold his refusal to wear a regulation uniform against him. Frank Robinson*, for example, just pissed me off with his little short-sleeve windbreaker shirt. Which tells me that my opinion on coaches' uniforms isn't really based on any high principle. I don't think managers should wear suit and tie like in basketball or casual attire like in football. Baseball managers do engage in on-the-feld coaching before games, making athletic clothing appropriate. And they come onto the field of play much more often than coaches in other sports -- and some baseball coaches actually have positions on the field of play. The fact that everyone in the dugout must be in uniform is just old-fashioned enough of an idea that it appeals to me.

As to pants length, if some teams can regulate facial hair and mullets, why can't they regulate uniform appearance? "Our uniform includes stockings. If you don't want to wear our uniform, here is a list of independent professional leagues. I'm sure the St. Paul Saints would be happy to have you." I suppose the real trick is to enforce this rule first across the board in a team's minor-league system, so that rookies reach the bigs accustomed to the fact that on this team, we wear our socks up like baseball men. Let it be a point of pride for the organizational players, and eventually it will be accepted by the tradees and free agents as part of their new team's culture.

*Does it go without saying that whatever his merits or demerits as a manager, Frank Robinson is a baseball god, a real hero of the game and one of the few members of the Hall of Fame who is regularly underrated as a player, and that despite his horse-patootey management it was a great gift to have him in DC for a couple of years? It does now.

Cardinals require that all Minor leaguers wear their pant legs up and show the socks, the STRIPED socks. Although when a Major Leaguer is doing a rehab assignment, I don't believe they have to abide by this rule. Cal Eldred, Juan Encarnacion, and maybe one or two others I can't think of, have all done rehab stints here and all have worn their pants to their shoes. Todd Wellemeyer recently did a one-inning stint, but I think he actually wore his pants up. Though he started the season at Memphis and hadn't really been at the bigs for a significant amount of time.

But players like Anthony Reyes and Brendan Ryan have reached the big club now, but continued to wear their pants the same way. Goes to show that this idea can actually work.

I believe the Phillies are also like that. I remember the old Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons all wore knee-high socks while every player on this year's Ottawa Lynx wore them as well.

managers and players are allowed to wear jackets in the heat of july, or whenever they please. why do you say "allowed" in september and october specifically?

i like the tradition of managers and coaches always wearing their uniform, but i still don't see how/why anyone has a problem with the pullovers, jackets, or hoodies.

managers and players are allowed to wear jackets in the heat of july, or whenever they please. why do you say "allowed" in september and october specifically?

i like the tradition of managers and coaches always wearing their uniform, but i still don't see how/why anyone has a problem with the pullovers, jackets, or hoodies.

um....because the time of year that would most be associated with players wearing large jackets is September and October. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I think it is ridiculous that baseball managers and coaches have to wear uniforms - with numbers on them no less. This isn't the early 1900's when coaches also played the field! Maybe it is appropriate for the third / first base coaches, since they are actualy out in the field of play, but even that is a stretch. I'm sure they could come up with coach-specific outfits that wouldn't force these old, mostly out-of-shape managers into tight uniforms.

The LAST thing MLB needs is an excuse to create another set of uniforms/on-field attire. We've seen what they've done to those poor BP caps and jerseys. The biggest upside to making coaches wear regular uniforms is that it keeps the MLB's apparel partners from creating yet another abomination of all that is good and decent about baseball. They must be stopped. And if I have to be the one to stop them, so be it. Who's with me? :ninja:

Something mentioned in some of the articles about this, but nor mentioned in the thread: in relation to the circulation problem, his health concerns have nothing to do with fleece or doubleknit, it has to do with TUCKING IN his shirt. The circulation problem arises when he has to tuck in the jersey, not from wearing it. THAT is why he wears the fleece. It's so he doesn't have to wear a shirt tucked in. Wearing the fleece under the jersey is going to make no difference. Imagine the stink everyone would make if he walked around the dugout in an untucked jersey.

What possible circulation problem could tucking in his shirt cause that wearing looser pants wouldn't solve?

20082614447.png

What possible circulation problem could tucking in his shirt cause that wearing looser pants wouldn't solve?

How about if he just forgets the pants all together?

:blink:

...maybe not

...maybe not

Might not be so bad...

capt.jpg

Don't ask me why I was compelled to do this. I'm trying to find something to do at work so I can get my hours for the week. Yes, I was getting paid while I did that.

I don't know why the league office cares what the managers wear. I mean, Tito was wearing on officially licensed fleece. It doesn't make sense for the managers to be forced to wear a jersey. They aren't marketed and you can't order a manger jersey from the league store. So what is the real reason for having the fuss about it?

Thoughts...?

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

I really don't mind the outerwear too much, I just wish it was consistant across the team. Many times you'll see two to three types of jackets/hoodies/pullovers on a team's bench at the same time. Everyone should be in the same uniform.

This discussion reminds me of when Ted Williams managed the Washington Senators. He always wore a jacket, even in the searing heat. The reason: He didn't want people to see that he had grown a gut.

You make a good point. Baseball uniforms don't look good on 55-60 year old men with guts. Why force some middle aged guy to wear a uniform designed to look good on a steroid fueled 25 year old??

I don't know why the league office cares what the managers wear. I mean, Tito was wearing on officially licensed fleece. It doesn't make sense for the managers to be forced to wear a jersey. They aren't marketed and you can't order a manger jersey from the league store. So what is the real reason for having the fuss about it?

Thoughts...?

My thought is that the somcks look sloppy and classless. Much like Belichick's hoody. At least the dugout jacket looks semi-respectable. It is a matter of looking professional. Maybe managers should be able to wear street clothes, but if not, they should respect the uniform.

...maybe not

Might not be so bad...

capt.jpg

Don't ask me why I was compelled to do this. I'm trying to find something to do at work so I can get my hours for the week. Yes, I was getting paid while I did that.

BLACK stillettos with a NAVY jacket...oh the horror!!!!!

I'm surprised Majestic doesn't try and convince MLB to let them create a manager and coaches line of clothing that is consistent throughout the big leagues. You know, slacks, golf-type shirts, cardigans, V-Necks, a cute little porkpie hat with a team logo, et cetera ad nauseum. The possibilities boggle the mind. There's MONEY to be made here folks! Get your designers working! Ka-ching!!!!!

Archived