New NFL Logo

Waffles

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

I agree with everything Sterling84 said in his long, well-thought out post, particularly the part about how if they hadn't made a big announcement about it, I doubt anyone would ever have noticed or cared. It's the logo of a league, not a team. I've never purchased or worn something that just had the NFL logo on it. ("Woo Hoo!! NFL #1!! We're #1!! Our league is better than your league!! Woo hoo!!!").

In the end, it's different enough to be called different, but similar enough that no one except die-hard logo fanatics would ever notice if it wasn't pointed out to them.

The only problem I see with this is that the NFL has locked itself into using not-Serifa for their branding for the next 20-30 years with this move, even though they have switched fonts several times over the past decade. I agree with the sentiment that this is branding the league upward, not downward.

It's like a guy buying a dress, then undergoing a sex change just so his gender matches the dress.

oakqb4.jpg

The only problem I see with this is that the NFL has locked itself into using not-Serifa for their branding for the next 20-30 years with this move, even though they have switched fonts several times over the past decade. I agree with the sentiment that this is branding the league upward, not downward.

It's like a guy buying a dress, then undergoing a sex change just so his gender matches the dress.

I would LOVE to know what the impetus for buying a dress would be....let alone the sex change. ^_^

I don't have a problem with getting rid of the stylized serifs. I just hate the way the letters just don't seem to line up well with the curvature of the lower part of the logo. I'm surprised that it wasn't addressed and fixed.

I don't have a problem with getting rid of the stylized serifs. I just hate the way the letters just don't seem to line up well with the curvature of the lower part of the logo. I'm surprised that it wasn't addressed and fixed.

Exactly. Since they re-designed the font, the stars, and the football, why not re-do the bottom of the shield to fit the letters (or fit the letters to the shield)?

It's where I sit.

I would LOVE to know what the impetus for buying a dress would be....let alone the sex change. ^_^

Simple. He bought the dress for his girlfriend but she broke up with him before he could give it to her and now is trying desperately to recover his sunk costs.

Yes.

Really? Why so?

1) The number of stars in the logo was reduced so as to make it easier for NFL vendor partners to accurately reproduce the logo on merchandise at a variety of sizes and in a number of different mediums. Previously, vendors had often rendered the logo with fewer than 25 stars because it was difficult to fit them all in at smaller sizes and in certain mediums.

2) The style of the football was changed so as to reflect the football on the Vince Lombardi Trophy, thus creating synergy between the NFL's logo and the award which signifies the league's ultimate on-field accomplishment.

3) The style of the font in which "NFL" is rendered in the logo was changed so as to better establish continuity with marks promoting other league events.

The more I look at it, what probably bothers me most of all is not that the font doesn't match the curve of the bottom of the shield (though that bothers me too) but that the L looks misaligned relative to the N and F.

To try to explain (without the aid of visuals), what I mean is that the angle of the bottom stroke of the L is such that it looks as if it would hit the TOP of the serif on the F if you extended it. The bottom of the N seems to curve slightly downward from left to right so that it is lined up with the bottom of the serif on the F. However, the bottom stroke of the L appears to be completely straight, meaning it doesn't match the N and/or line up with the F.

Maybe the answer would be to extend the bottom stroke of the L slightly to the left so that any curvature would be more noticeable (assuming there is some curvature that I just don't see). Whatever the solution may be, it just looks really off kilter as it currently stands.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Simple. He bought the dress for his girlfriend but she broke up with him before he could give it to her and now is trying desperately to recover his sunk costs.

Actually makes sense now, thanks.

The more I look at it, what probably bothers me most of all is not that the font doesn't match the curve of the bottom of the shield (though that bothers me too) but that the L looks misaligned relative to the N and F.

To try to explain (without the aid of visuals), what I mean is that the angle of the bottom stroke of the L is such that it looks as if it would hit the TOP of the serif on the F if you extended it. The bottom of the N seems to curve slightly downward from left to right so that it is lined up with the bottom of the serif on the F. However, the bottom stroke of the L appears to be completely straight, meaning it doesn't match the N and/or line up with the F.

Maybe the answer would be to extend the bottom stroke of the L slightly to the left so that any curvature would be more noticeable (assuming there is some curvature that I just don't see). Whatever the solution may be, it just looks really off kilter as it currently stands.

Yes, I quoted myself . . . but that is because I have used my extraordinarily primitive MS Paint skills to create a visual aid.

shield2.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Yes, I quoted myself . . . but that is because I have used my extraordinarily primitive MS Paint skills to create a visual aid.

shield2.jpg

Wow, that is really annoying! I was just fixated on the 'F' being out of line. The 'L' is worse!

Archived