New NFL Logo

Waffles

I'm not arguing with you, but I still don't know that the source of the vector has anything to do with it.

We can use official versions under "fair use" the same as ones we make ourselves, and the league could object to the use of a traced vector the same as they could an official one they created.

I think it's much more in how you use the vector than how or where it was created. But I could be wrong.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting, but I still don't know that the source of the vector has anything to do with it.

We can use official versions under "fair use" the same as ones we make ourselves, and the league could object to the use of a traced vector the same as they could an official one they created.

I think it's much more in how you use the vector than how or where it was created. But I could be wrong.

Right, this vector flap is relatively harmless, and the debate academic, so long as nobody is launching their own line of new NFL logo apparel. :D

--

Okay, just so I'm not perpetuating this side conversation any further, back to the logo itself...over the last couple weeks, it's really grown on me. The current logo looks so anachronistic in many of the formats it is presented in. Of course, I think I'm only picking up on this now because I have the new logo to compare it to, but it does stick out to me badly when it's used in the context of the more contemporary branding schemes of the networks that carry NFL games (NBC especially), and in Madden '08.

The more I see the new one, the more I like it.

The "hamburger" has always looked goofy to me.

That's been exactly my experience. I still think the alignment of the bottom of the shield and the bottoms of the letters, particularly the serif on the F, are really quite bad. But the overall look of the logo is really growing on me, and I've completely gotten over being miffed at the new font as such. I love the new football, and I don't mind very much the strangely unbalanced look the star alignment gives the blue bit at the top.

It helped when I finally noticed that the old F had some of the same problems as the new F, though it's not as stark owing to the rounded serif. So the bottom of the new F is still a bat bit of applied graphic design, but at least it's not a new bad design. It's just slightly worse, and so it doesn't bother me as much. And putting aside that relatively minor -- but concurrently easy to have gotten right! -- detail, the overall logo is much clearer, crisper, and more engaging. It has the aspect of a logo that's been "translated" from the visual language of the early 1970s to the visual language of today, such that is communicates exactly the same thing now that it did when then, without looking "trendy". Looks like it will age well over the coming decade or two. So a successful modernization, whatever quibbles I might have with the letter alignment.

On the scale of "do I think it's pretty," I'd give it low marks. But on the scale of "do I think this is good design," I've definitely raised my grade to at least a B-plus, maybe A-minus.

20082614447.png

The more I look at it, the cleaner it looks. Negative space is not a bad thing in a logo and I think the problem with the old logo was that the stars cluttered up and weighed down the top of the logo. The way it is now it looks visually balanced.

Still hate the alignment of the 'F' but I've been able to sleep at night again so I must be getting over it.

It has the aspect of a logo that's been "translated" from the visual language of the early 1970s to the visual language of today, such that is communicates exactly the same thing now that it did when then, without looking "trendy". Looks like it will age well over the coming decade or two. So a successful modernization, whatever quibbles I might have with the letter alignment.

Try early 1940s. :P But your points are well taken.

It has the aspect of a logo that's been "translated" from the visual language of the early 1970s to the visual language of today, such that is communicates exactly the same thing now that it did when then, without looking "trendy". Looks like it will age well over the coming decade or two. So a successful modernization, whatever quibbles I might have with the letter alignment.

Try early 1940s. :P But your points are well taken.

Then it was a very ahead-of-its-time design. It pretty much screams "1973!" to me. The lettering, in particular: that kind of whimsical, loopy lettering was pretty much the official visual style of my childhood, from Bicentennial souvenirs to Maurice Sendak books to Peter Max posters to LP covers. It's like groovy, baby.

The new logo actually looks like something more in keeping with the dominant aesthetic of the 1940s, at least in terms of communicating authority and strength. It's all angles and uniform letter widths and short, thick serifs and bold stars. Which in part is why the new logo has grown on me: I love the design styles of the period from the early 1930s to the early 1950s.

20082614447.png

• 8 months later...

Sorry for the bump, but I wanted to put this in an NFL logo topic. It was posted as part of today's Morning Jolt.

nflgrasslogodougpensingyy0.jpg

A quick search of Getty Images turned up these photos and captions.

76782395re1.jpg

DENVER - SEPTEMBER 16: The logo of the National Football League is painted on the field as the Oakland Raiders face the Denver Broncos during week two NFL action at Invesco Field at Mile High on September 16, 2007 in Denver, Colorado. (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

76835401cf0.jpg

DENVER - SEPTEMBER 16: Detail view of a logo of the National Football League is painted on the field as the Denver Broncos defeated the Oakland Raiders 23-20 in overtime during week two NFL action at Invesco Field at Mile High on September 16, 2007 in Denver, Colorado. (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

The only $0.02 I can add to this is, I wonder why the league waited until the 7th season into the 8 division format to change their insignia. It would have made much more sense, at least to me, to have introduced this in 2002, the first year that the league went to the 8 division format, not 7 years into it.

That being said, both logos are great, the old one will always be near and dear to my heart, but the new one is fine too. And I'm in my early 40s, so for me to embrace change is unusual.

Regards,

Bill

so what's the issue besides the football being flipped?

That's actually a pretty big issue! I wonder how that slipped by?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived