Sports Video Games

swilson160

Bill. Laimbeer's. Combat. Basketball.

HA! Made me think of Arch Rivals.

But I'll add:

Baseball:

- NES: Bad News Baseball, RBI Baseball 1-3, Baseball Stars 2, Bases Loaded 4, Homerun Nighter '90(Japanese)

- SNES: Ken Griffey. DONE. I've actually put all the rosters in the game. Also, MLBPA Baseball's good.

- PS2: MVP series...all pretty good, even NCAA. The Show's not bad.

- Saturn: World Series Baseball II

Basketball:

- NES: Tecmo NBA Basketball, Hoops, Jordan Vs. Bird

- SNES: NBA Jam(both..College Slam's acceptable), NBA Live 95, Barkley's Shut Up and Jam

- PS2: NBA Live 03, NBA Street series

Football:

- NES: Tecmo Bowl/Tecmo Superbowl, John Elway's QB

- SNES: QB Club '94

- N64: NFl Blitz...although generally, I hate Midway games

- PS2: I've only owned Madden the past two years, but the NCAA series has been incredible since like 2002

Hockey:

- NES: Blades of Steel, Ice Hockey

- SNES: NHL 93-98, Stanley Cup Hockey....Brett Hull Hockey = worst game ever

- PS2: EA's NHL series...basically only even years

Bill. Laimbeer's. Combat. Basketball.

HA! Made me think of Arch Rivals.

But I'll add:

Basketball:

- SNES: Barkley's Shut Up and Jam

::shudder:: I'd rather play Shaq Fu

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I see that people are overlooking NCAA Basketball on SNES. While it's laughable now, that game was incredible when it came out. I remember being equally excited for NHL Stanley Cup on SNES as well, but it wasn't nearly as fun. The Mode 7 didn't translate.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I see that people are overlooking NCAA Basketball on SNES. While it's laughable now, that game was incredible when it came out. I remember being equally excited for NHL Stanley Cup on SNES as well, but it wasn't nearly as fun. The Mode 7 didn't translate.

Once they took Rock and Roll Part 2 out of the game, Stanley Cup wasn't any fun.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I made a WCHA hack of Blades of Steel. If anyone uses emulators, let me know.

My favorite sports games on NES were Tecmo Bowl (either version), Baseball Stars and Blades. I didn't have a favorite hoops game because, IMO, there was never a good one for the NES.

And am I the only fan of Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 for SNES? It was a completely ridiculous and unrealistic take on baseball, but it was fun as hell. But then, I still play Mutant League Football too...

I remember playing Super Play Action Football on my SNES till I got Madden for the first time, it was a... decent game, the game's point-of-view was horrible though, which made passing almost impossible. The one cool thing was you could play as your high school team and pick the name and colors and stuff, high school tended to be easy, while college was medium, and NFL was hard. I could play the college level, and i usually played as Nebraska, cause they had a good running game, and I ran every offensive play. I never played at the NFL level, it was impossible. Here's a screenshot to show you how bad the angle was:

super_play_action_football.jpg

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I see that people are overlooking NCAA Basketball on SNES. While it's laughable now, that game was incredible when it came out.

Oh man... that did NOT age well. I downloaded the rom the other day and I'm still tryin' to figure out how I spent so much time playing it.

I remember playing Super Play Action Football on my SNES till I got Madden for the first time, it was a... decent game, the game's point-of-view was horrible though, which made passing almost impossible. The one cool thing was you could play as your high school team and pick the name and colors and stuff, high school tended to be easy, while college was medium, and NFL was hard. I could play the college level, and i usually played as Nebraska, cause they had a good running game, and I ran every offensive play. I never played at the NFL level, it was impossible. Here's a screenshot to show you how bad the angle was:

The original Play Action Football for NES was much easier to play (but still frustrating... seeing as how it literally took 15 seconds to complete a damn pass). I could never play the NFL level either. But now I can't even play the high school level.

I made a WCHA hack of Blades of Steel. If anyone uses emulators, let me know.

My favorite sports games on NES were Tecmo Bowl (either version), Baseball Stars and Blades. I didn't have a favorite hoops game because, IMO, there was never a good one for the NES.

And am I the only fan of Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 for SNES? It was a completely ridiculous and unrealistic take on baseball, but it was fun as hell. But then, I still play Mutant League Football too...

Oh man I remember that game! Until Griffey came out, that was the closest thing to Baseball Stars you could find.

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

Baseball:

-- Baseball Simulator 1.000 -- It was sim, it was arcade, it was AWESOME. It was truly unique, even if it was a bit cartoonish. This was the first game where there was an allotment of stadiums that were different and unique.

-- Baseball Stars -- The Create-A-Team reigned supreme, and who could forget the American Dreams, the Ninja Blacksox, and the Japan Robins? Baseball Stars II was really good too, but it wasn't as customizable as the original.

-- World Series 95 + 98, Genesis -- if only because of the beautifully detailed stadia.

Football:

-- Tecmo Super Bowl -- was the first game to incorporate the real players AND teams, and let you have a real season in the process. It's still my favorite game to play, and I snap up all the hacks I can when I'm able to. ^_^

-- NCAA Football (Genesis) -- I was just amazed that it had 100+ teams. It was real fun to play and to keep track of a season over time, even if it was a little realistically flawed when it came down to playoff time.

Basketball:

-- NBA Live -- Completely different take on real basketball, and it was smooth and fun to play.

-- Team USA Basketball (Genesis) -- Don't know why I liked this one so much, but I loved playing USA vs. the World all of the time.

-- College Hoops -- Probably the most realistic and most free flowing game of the college games out there, I enjoy picking them up every year.

I'll post Hockey and Soccer later...

philly.png

Ah, I forgot to do soccer on mine, so here goes

- NES: GOAL!...and there's a japanese game(the players look like River City Ransom)

- SNES: Fifa '96...you can be West Germany still

- N64: International Supertar Soccer 64, Fifa: Road to the World Cup '98

- PS2: Fifa '04...I don't have any of the others, but I'll assume they're all good

Heck, while I'm at it, Wrestling

Arcade: Wrestlefest

NES: Wrestlemania Challenge, Wrestlemania

SNES: RAW, Royal Rumble

N64: All the THQ games, including the Japanese ones

GBA: Fire Pro Wrestling

PS2: Def Jam Vendetta, Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth(all are good, but this'n was my favorite)

Ah, I forgot to do soccer on mine, so here goes

- NES: GOAL!...and there's a japanese game(the players look like River City Ransom)

- SNES: Fifa '96...you can be West Germany still

- N64: International Supertar Soccer 64, Fifa: Road to the World Cup '98

- PS2: Fifa '04...I don't have any of the others, but I'll assume they're all good

Heck, while I'm at it, Wrestling

Arcade: Wrestlefest

NES: Wrestlemania Challenge, Wrestlemania

SNES: RAW, Royal Rumble

N64: All the THQ games, including the Japanese ones

GBA: Fire Pro Wrestling

PS2: Def Jam Vendetta, Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth(all are good, but this'n was my favorite)

Shum, that mystery soccer game was Nintendo World Cup Soccer. That shouldn't be confused with Super Dodge Ball, which looks similar as was just as much fun.

And the best NES wrestling game was Pro Wrestling. Starman was the bomb. End of story.

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

Baseball

World Series Baseball series for Sega

Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball series (His move to the Reds = no more games from Nintendo. *tear*)

Slugfest (Y'know...the one where you could punch and kick dudes on the basepaths. Horrible role model for the kids, but still fun as hell to play. :D)

The Bigs

Football

Madden series since 96

NCAA Football series since CFUSA 97.

Sega Sports/2K Sports football. I played the hell out of 2k1 on the Dreamcast.

Basketball

NBA Live until 2003

2K Sports until forever.

NBA JAM was the greatest basketball game ever. Idc what anybody else says, that game, as unrealistic as it was, was just PERFECT. How can you beat flying in the air to dunk, hitting threes with Shaq like it's nothing, and being on fire after 3 straight buckets? You can't beat it!

Hockey

Blades of Steel FTW.

Soccer

ISS for the 64 was one of my favorite games. Used to spend hours playing that, since FIFA was, despite being great on the old consoles and even better on the newer ones, was absolute crap on the 64.

FIFA, since coming to the PS2/GCN/XBox era, has been great. Save for the idiotic defenses and GKs.

Misc.

WWF No Mercy is still, to me, the best game ever created.

man, I played that one to death...I got it along with Mario World when I got my SNES for Xmas, still had it when I gave the Super and all its games away back in 01. I think I could still go undefeated in college with Runoverya (Columbia) and a tough sked. Shoot, I remember beating the Pats 114 to 14 as the Broncos once, and another time I was the Lions playing the Bears, and an apparent TD was wiped out cus Jim Thornton had stepped out of bounds before stepping back in for the catch...heh, I mastered that game, for real.

Football

Madden...I dabbled in the SNES Maddens, didn't really get serious til I got Madden 99 for the 64

Tecmo Super Bowl III...I don't give a :censored: what nunya say, the third was the best but the SNES versions were all great (though astoundingly, the Genesis version sucked. what's up with that?). Heh, I miss TSB's cutscenes...like division champs, or when a player's ready to come back from injury, dude's in full uniform walkin out the hospital wavin goodbye to the nurses...I know yall remember all that

QB Club...on SNES, good Madden alternative, and it had the QB challenge to boot. on the 64, QBC 99 had bad graphics and decent gameplay. 2000 and 01 were just flat out horrible, just about their only redeeming features were the conference/SB celebrations. problem was, seeing these required you to actually play the game.

Baseball

Griffey Series...played the first one to death, I remember starting a season and winning the first 50 games before finally losing...and robbing a homer at Yankee Stadium, one of only two times I've ever done that in any game (the other time was a few months ago in MLB 07 The Show, I robbed Garrett Anderson B) ...and both were in left field, coincidentally). The other three were pretty good in their own right, but the first holds a special place in my heart

MLB The Show series

ASB series

Basketball

NBA Live... :censored:, EVERYBODY loved Live back in the day, it seemed. one of my cousins flat out stole my Live 95, and I remember spending some time with a couple other cousins in Chicago, and every night we tried to rent Live. damn blockbuster never had it, somebody always beat us to it.

Arch Rivals

NBA Jam and College Slam...yes, even the ps2 NBA Jam was good in my book...if you aint played that version, I feel sorry for ya. sheet, they even got Bootsie Collins to be the 70s commentator

NBA Street..."this is like a tank versus a Dixie cup...who do you think is gonna win?"

NBA 2K and College Hoops 2K series

NBA 06 (I aint played 07), the Life was a good idea, gameplay shoulda been better tho.

Hockey

Faceoff/Gretzky series

NHL series til the end of the SNES era...admittedly, I tried later games, but the magic was gone by the time NHL 02 sufficiently frustrated the hell outta me.

NHL 2K series...this also frustrated me for a while...don't get me wrong, I could easily see why so many love this series, I just sucked at it.

and for the ol Nintendo...the legendary Blades of Steel (in fact, I have Blades of Steel on me, finally found it! sadly, no Nintendo to play it on)

Soccer

Winning Eleven 7...Master League rules...and if I ever feel like coppin WE8, I can pick up the ML where I left off instead of starting over. What I wanna know is, why is this the only series that lets you do this?

World Tour: heh, they had their shot. they had a shot, they just decided to stagnate. too bad, it had potential. lookin at this as a uni guy, World Tour definitely had an edge on WE, the gameplay just stagnated after a while.

FIFA RTWC 98...the last good FIFA in my eyes.

a shoutout to the PC, Ultimate Soccer Manager 98/99...been havin a blast takin Rushden & Diamonds from the Conference to the Prem. it aint easy, but it is doable.

last but not least...Mega Man Soccer. it's Mega Man. Playing soccer. Which would probably only be bested by Zero playing football and using his sword to stiffarm.

Miscellaneous

Nascar Dirt to Daytona

Virtua Tennis...in real life I suck at tennis, but I got addicted to this game.

Footy Fanatic...an aussie rules manager game, pretty deep for being free.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I Love EA Sports. Tell you the truth, that's all I buy pretty much. They seem so much better than other game makers IMO.

Triple Play BAseball series was always my favorite, but I like MVP Baseball as well, I just wish they still made MLB!

Madden: 10x better than any other Football Video Game.

I have NBA Live 03-07 and all of them say #1 selling Pro Basketball Franchise, that's enough to keep me hooked.

NCAA March Madness has always been EA Sports' weekeness IMO, that's probably their only weak point.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived