Sports Injuries

youcan'tseeme

Ooh, I love threads like this, because I get to whip this out:

kj-xray.jpg

Injury date was January 17, 2001. The x-ray's from January 23. The two long screws across were taken out in March of that year, the rest are still in there.

Jeez! That looks about as bad as Barbaro's x-ray.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Volleyball -- sprained ankle, dislocated finger(s)

Soccer -- broken arm, two broken fingers, sprained ankle, wickedly sore bone bruise on heel (non-contact sport, my @$$)

Baseball/Softball -- broken nose (maybe -- it was untreated) from a throw that skipped past the second baseman as I was sliding, multiple strawberries.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Playing high school basketball, I broke my right ankle 3 times, my nose twice and several fingers. My final season, I had to play the last 4 games on a broken ankle as injuries destroyed our team - most games, we could only field 5 or 6 players.

5 minutes into my first training session on my uni team, I broke my right thumb & index finger (and also managed to break someone's nose). That kept me out half the season.

I've had to stop playing sports due to my right knee. I tore my ACL when I was 12 and it's given me problems ever since. I had a couple of tryouts with the Birmingham Bullets (former pro ball team in the UK), but my knee had deteriorated to the point where I couldn't run for more than a few minutes at a time. Even now I still have trouble with it. It's my biggest regret - my dream was to play pro ball, at any level.

Worst - Concussion, smacked my head against the wall of a empty pool while skateboarding(no helmet).

Coolest - Broken Hand, punched some dude in the head during a bench clearing brawl during a WHIFFLE BALL game, there was a dust up at second base for some reason and everyone ran onto the field and started swinging.

Still feel it - Hip Bursitis - took a helmet right to the hip during a "no contact" only helmets and shoulder pads drill in high school football, also squats and hitting the blocking sled also helped cause it.

Concussion in a lacrosse game at camp. I was trying to cut between two defenders and I got hit in the head by both of their sticks at the same time. I was down for about 3 minutes before I was taken to the hospital. Luckily I didn't get hit when I played the next game (was trying to get a scholarship at the time, wanted to prove my toughness).

The winter after that I was playing indoor lacrosse and I was hit from behind and broke my thumb. This caused a big fight to insue as it was two rival teams playing. A nose was broken in the fight and I was finally able to tell a few guys what I thought of their thug team.

My lacrosse career has ended for the time being as doctors are trying to figure out what I did to my ankle. It pops all the time and doctors are not sure what I did to it. They said I probably have hurt some tendons but they need to do an MRI on it at some point.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Football - broken ring finger on left hand. Damn... that was a cold day, I didn't even realize I had broken it until later, it was so numb.

Baseball - broken nose, while having a catch with my grandfather. I just missed the damn thing. If you look very closely at my face, my nose points slightly to the left.

Basketball - the usual litany of sprained ankles and jammed fingers. My ankles are a mess, but that may be also the result of feet flatter than Kansas and growth spurts totaling 11 inches in an 18-month timespan.

Skiing - tore up my knee on a mogul I didn't take properly. The knee is a better predictor of a coming rainstorm than any meteorologist.

(saving the best for last...)

Hockey - healed scar beneath my left eye from a slash. It wasn't intentional, but it led to my first fighting major, and the first time I dropped an F-bomb in front of my mother (this was back in the '80s, when a kid could take a slash in the face). The taste of your own blood in your mouth makes you do some bizarre things...

- 2 slightly chipped teeth. Barely noticeable, no replacement parts required. It'll just help them identify my grisly remains one day... :ghostface:

- broken left elbow from a slash in a game in high school. Years later, I still have a grudge against the :censored: who did it. Now the nerve that runs along your elbow (ulnar nerve) slips out of the groove (trochlea) every now and again; if I were arm-wrestling left-handed and started to put my opponent down toward the table, the nerve would get crushed and half my hand would spasm into a claw. It sucks when I do it without expecting it - like a bolt of lightning down into my fingers.

- broken left thumb from a clean hit. Always skate with your head up, kids. Of course, being stubborn and not realizing I'd broken my thumb, I stayed in the game and scored the tying and winning goals. My finger was black by the next morning, and since I never got it set or X-rayed, my thumbs bend back at different angles.

Interestingly, all my damaged parts are on my left side. Good thing I am mostly right-handed.

On the flip side: I split my best friend's big toe in half in high school with one of the hardest sliders I ever threw. And I've broken a couple fingers with a good fastball, but not much beyond that as far as I know.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Hockey: 3 concussions, fractured elbow, three broken toes (2 big, 1 pinky).

Soccer: Sprained the same thumb 5 times playing goal.

I still get frequent headaches from the 3 concussions that I got, all of them dumbass checks.

Heres My List:

Baseball- Worst was definitely freshman year when stealing second, i beat the throw which was high...the second baseman came down on my ankle with a metal spike leaving a deep gash...that wasn't it...he lost his balance and fell on the ankle shattering it. Of course the usual raspberries or strawberries whatever you please

Hockey- Where to start? 2 concussions both after being run over with my helmet flying off (im a tender...see my sig? ^_^ ) broke my collarbone in practice when a coach who played in the nhl (Gino Cavalini) hit me in the collarbone...chest protector was a little small, he also broke my right index finger when i over rotated my blocker earlier in the year. Broken wrist on a garbage slash to the glove side wrist. Also have had hamstring problems.

Thats it...I'm also gonna try to find the pictures of me after a bench clearing brawl..brutal I got my ass kicked.

brewerssig.jpg

Shin splints, sprained foot, sprained ankle on the same foot, 2 nails that came off (not really injuries, but hurt like HELL.) and a concussion. All for a grand total of 6 wins over 2 years of varsity football.

Nothing too serious, but running cross-country and track for 6 years certainly did a number on my knees. The worst injury I had was patellofemoral syndrome (knee tracking over joint instead of cartilage) which kept me out for a couple of weeks. Other than some other minor injuries, I was pretty lucky to never get seriously hurt.

AM.gif

What abuse has your body taken playing the sports we all love?

Avulsion fracture of left 5th metatarsal (oh wait that was a drinking accident ^_^ )

Numerous other less severe ankle sprains from rugby and basketball

Shin splints from the treadmills at the gym

Badly strained both hamstrings in the past from lifting weights

Right wrist sprain from rugby

Torn quadracep in right thigh from soccer

Left ankle tendonitis from soccer

Torn cartilage in right knee from soccer

A shocking black eye from a kick in the face playing rugby, actually had a stud from another player's boots scratch across my bottom eyelid.

I suspect I've actually got a broken big toe on my right foot because there is still pain there about 6 weeks after I hurt it playing soccer

Oh and countless jammed fingers as VitaminD mentioned as well.

When you're not exactly athletic but love playing sports the little niggly injuries really start to add up! :D

Add all that to a bad joint in my thoracic spine from a non-sports related injury and I know when winter arrives and the rains are coming.

The tendonitis in my left ankle is a real :cursing: of an injury which I've played through in order to be able to play in our final in 2 weeks.

I don't envy the hockey players amongst you who seem to get some nasty injuries. That sport really is wild at times!

liverpool-1.png

Three concussions (no wonder I'm a Steve Young fan) but only 2 were sports related.

Also broke my collarbone playing pickup football my junior year of HS...a week before prom. Got tackled and landed awkwardly with a rather large guy (240ish, along with my 155 at the time) landing squarely on my shoulder. Played 2 more downs before I realized I couldn't move my arm up at any more than a 45 degree angle, felt an odd pain in my shoulder and decided it was time to go to the hospital.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

What abuse has your body taken playing the sports we all love?

Avulsion fracture of left 5th metatarsal (oh wait that was a drinking accident ^_^ )

Numerous other less severe ankle sprains from rugby and basketball

Shin splints from the treadmills at the gym

Badly strained both hamstrings in the past from lifting weights

Right wrist sprain from rugby

Torn quadracep in right thigh from soccer

Left ankle tendonitis from soccer

Torn cartilage in right knee from soccer

A shocking black eye from a kick in the face playing rugby, actually had a stud from another player's boots scratch across my bottom eyelid.

I suspect I've actually got a broken big toe on my right foot because there is still pain there about 6 weeks after I hurt it playing soccer

Oh and countless jammed fingers as VitaminD mentioned as well.

When you're not exactly athletic but love playing sports the little niggly injuries really start to add up! :D

Add all that to a bad joint in my thoracic spine from a non-sports related injury and I know when winter arrives and the rains are coming.

The tendonitis in my left ankle is a real :cursing: of an injury which I've played through in order to be able to play in our final in 2 weeks.

I don't envy the hockey players amongst you who seem to get some nasty injuries. That sport really is wild at times!

That's suck a weird injury, were you slide tackled. when i did mine I was just kick. Caught the football, was about to hit full stride and it just popped.

untitled-6.jpg

- Dislocated every finger on each hand at least once. (football & volleyball)

- Strained hamstring (football - kicking a field goal and slipping)

- Torn hamstring (softball - throwing the ball in from the fence in 7th grade and it just popped)

- Sprained ankle (football, basketball & volleyball - from landing wrong every single time, worst was in volleyball where I went up for a block and landed on a teamates foot and rolled my ankle all the way over, couldn't walk for a week)

- Sprained wrist (football - playing quarterback, got hit right after throwing the ball and fell back and landed wrong when trying to brace myself)

- Strained MCL (football - happened three or four times, don't know how specifically though)

- Torn MCL (football - while in practice, I planted wrong to cut and got hit hard in my knee at the same time)

- Strained ACL (football - from trying to jump over a defender and my knee colliding with their helmet)

- Concussion (football - being so bright, my helmet came off and I kept running with the ball, got tackled and the whiplash effect with the back of my head hitting the ground)

Ooh, I love threads like this, because I get to whip this out:

kj-xray.jpg

Injury date was January 17, 2001. The x-ray's from January 23. The two long screws across were taken out in March of that year, the rest are still in there.

Jeez! That looks about as bad as Barbaro's x-ray.

I heard Barbaro is in stable condition.

Too soon?

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived