Cleveland Browns

The Imperfect

Does anyone else think the Browns should change their Primary logo to the dawg logo. They don't use it as much on official things, but I think they should because let's face it, the current helmet logo is just weak and they really need to start modernizing some of their stuff. I'm not saying let's change the helmet, because the helmet on the uni's if classic, but the Browns need to quit using the helmet as a logo and only use it on the field.

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone else think the Browns should change their Primary logo to the dawg logo. They don't use it as much on official things, but I think they should because let's face it, the current helmet logo is just weak and they really need to start modernizing some of their stuff. I'm not saying let's change the helmet, because the helmet on the uni's if classic, but the Browns need to quit using the helmet as a logo and only use it on the field.

No

wwwaufderaxemo2.jpg

I only come around here once in a while to annoy you people, and by people I mean you mutha :censored:as.

Should Washington have a hog for a logo? How about a Cameron Crazies wordmark for Duke?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just clicked the link. I had no idea that that was an offical ALT logo. Lame.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Does anyone else think the Browns should change their Primary logo to the dawg logo.

Um, no. I think the Browns are just fine the way they are. The Dawg represents a small pathetic group of fat, drunken, stupid, Browns fans. I don't think they should be celebrated as much as they should be regulated to some part of the stadium that is beyond the view of TV cameras. But hey what do I know? I've only been a Browns fan since 1968.

BB52Big.jpg

Well... Oakland A's and Alabama use an elephant. Detroit Pistons used a horse. North Carolina, a ram... Georgetown a bulldog.

I'm not saying I think Cleveland should use this logo, but you can't say something like it hasn't been done.

I agree on both counts. The logo grew out of the Dawg Pound, but that doesn't mean it is wholly inappropriate for the team to use it.

The A's elephant came from John McGraw calling the team a bunch of white elephants (which makes the green elephant logo a little ironic, by the way), which Connie Mack then adopted as a symbol of defiance. In light of that, there is nothing that makes me think the Browns could not reasonably appropriate the dog as an official symbol (though, like oldschool, I'm not necessarily saying they should).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Terrible post. I 100% disagree with everything you said.

No, no, a thousand :censored: times NO.

As has been said ad nauseam, the "dawg" represents a small fraction of the team's fan base. NOT the team itself. So why on Earth would a team identify itself graphically with a depiction of a part of its fan base, which would not exist if the team didn't exist in the first place?

The other cited "examples" are irrelevant to the question at hand, so let's throw them out and debunk them so we can all move on.

A's: John McGraw called the players "white elephants". Not the players' fans. OUT!

UNC: A Tar Heel is simply a person from North Carolina. There'd be no way for a team to represent that graphically - have a North Carolinian standing there, wearing what they normally wear and behaving like they normally do? The ram was a tribute to a player on the team [Jack Merritt, "The Battering Ram"]... again, NOT THE FANS. It also grew out of a collegiate movement in the south to have live animal mascots at interscholastic competitions. Since there's no tangible, identifiable thing called a "Tar Heel", the ram became the visual embodiment of the football team.

Without doing too much research into it, I'd assume the elephant came to represent the Alabama TEAM, NOT THE FANS, as there'd be no way 100 years ago to tote a wave pool to every game to show a rolling tide. Ditto Georgetown - since no one knows what a Hoya is, it could be anything. IIRC, the bulldog was owned by a GU law student who brought it to games for good luck and became the embodiment of the mascot.

A good luck charm is the furthest you get here for oddball choices for graphic mascots. And it's nowhere near using a logo that pays tribute to a portion of a team's fan base to stand for the team itself.

Finally, there IS a graphic depiction of the team: Brownie the Elf. If you don't want to use it, then stay with the plain helmet. But the elf is the answer, not the :censored: dog.

Let's stop this now and move on. It's been logically beaten to death and summarily rejected over and over.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Time to speak out, and take the digital raping that I will undoubtedly get...or maybe this will be one time I can be happily ignored.

I'm 21, and haven't been a true sports fan for a full decade. However, I am entitled to an opinion. I'm in the minority, I know, but I'll say my piece and shut up about it. I loathe the use of a helmet as a logo (or the "big orange square" sometimes used instead). I think the helmet looks plain with nothing on it. It doesn't look iconic to me...just bland. To me, their branding set is weak.

Do I like the Dawg logo? Eh...it's not amazing, but it's okay. Do I like Brownie? It's better than nothing and has tradition behind it...but that's about all I can say about it.

Football-B (or C) isn't amazing...but it gets the job done, and gets the point across. I wouldn't mind that as a primary, and finding something else for a secondary mark too. Do I want it on the helmet? If we can't find something better, then sure.

That being said, their uniforms are just fine in my opinion. I just want them to have a real logo and something on the shells.

Blank helmets are right up there with bland uni tops/sets as my biggest pet peeves, when any of the above are due to "tradition."

Ohio State needs the O-with-buckeye on the helmet. Notre Dame needs the ND (despite the decent defense of the "dome" symbology). And to me, the Browns need some updates.

Now if you'll excuse me...I'm going to go hide. I can see the romantic glow of torches headed my way...and in my experience that's never good.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I've been a life long suffering Browns fan and I know I'm in the minority but I actually never minded the dawg logo. I also like the elf but can't stand the football "B". It just doesn't look good to me. Over the past few years they've used the dawg logo less and have really been emphasizing the elf, which is fine, it reflects to a time when the Browns were a football power. Now if only they could start playing like that again.

I know this has been discussed over and over... I've also given my opinion numerous times. I like tradition, but I wouldn't mind an update. I think keeping the helmets plain is a tradition that should stay. Updating uniforms and modifying colors in a tasteful way would be acceptable to me. I've said a few times on this board that a differnt tone of orange may work. Brown, off white and copper.... something different.

The Dawg logo is forced. The <B> logo seems like it could have created 50 years ago. I like it better than the dawg. It seems that the "Elf Logo" is back, though. It is on merchandise now more than ever. I would like to see it used more officially, field markings and tv graphics... etc. I don't want it on the helmet. Is it silly...? I guess a bit. But, it has the same character as the Notre Dame "Fighting Irishman" logo and the Saint Louis Billikin logo. Maybe it even has the old Denver Nuggets and SF 49ers logo charm. It's fine for an identity and mascot... but I don't think it needs to be on the helmet or jersey.

Archived