Cleveland Browns

The Imperfect

It actually took quite a while for this thread to devolve into a "Was Cleveland Treated Fairly After The Browns Move?" discussion. Kudos to all involved.

For the record, I sympathize with the Cleveland fans, but I think Cleveland was treated much better than other cities in similar situations. Now, let's try to leave it at that.

Back on topic, as I said before, I don't believe the "Dawg" logo is per se unacceptable. On the other hand, I also don't think it should ever be put on the helmet . . . or any other logo, for that matter. Just pick one you can use for marketing and/or TV highlight show purposes besides a picture of a helmet.

I USED to sympathize with Cleveland fans, until they got LeBron James....oh....you mean BROWNS fans :P

Hey, its only a matter of time before the Browns make the playoffs again and lose in the AFC title game again and I'm sure you'll see plenty of Browns jerseys everywhere.

Remember, a team whose jersey sells in multiple major markets usually has a famous star on their team, a winning record, or a new style of jersey. The Browns haven't had either of those for quite sometime....and don't give me this Kellen Winslow B.S. because a Kosar jersey was the last jersey that I ever saw East of Pennsylvania in the last two decades.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would gladly buy a Browns jersey if any stores in the Vancouver area offered one with a player other than Kellen Winslow.

Couldn't you get one online?

I choose to support my local retailers, thankyouverymuch.

if your local retailers aren't serving your needs as a consumer, there's nothing wrong with going online...

btw, does anyone know if foot locker still takes special orders of items they don't have in stock?

Does anyone else think the Browns should change their Primary logo to the dawg logo. They don't use it as much on official things, but I think they should because let's face it, the current helmet logo is just weak and they really need to start modernizing some of their stuff. I'm not saying let's change the helmet, because the helmet on the uni's if classic, but the Browns need to quit using the helmet as a logo and only use it on the field.

2f_1.JPG

Does anyone else think the Browns should change their Primary logo to the dawg logo. They don't use it as much on official things, but I think they should because let's face it, the current helmet logo is just weak and they really need to start modernizing some of their stuff. I'm not saying let's change the helmet, because the helmet on the uni's if classic, but the Browns need to quit using the helmet as a logo and only use it on the field.

2f_1.JPG

It's against the law to put any logos on Browns helmets....or it should be.

Especially the Elf. That thing is creepy. <_<

The Dawg is for the fans.

They need a secondary logo (not the helmet) they can put on clothing and be used in the media.

Let me quote myself when I think the browns should with something along these lines.

I know a lot of you are against the Browns and a helmet logo but if they had something like the new Bowling Green helmet, I would be content.

1300995.jpeg

This are simple and yet effective.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Elf Brownie, or nothing...I would prefer they keep them blank but use the elf more, maybe throw it on the jersey somewhere for once., I have a drawer full of Browns jerseys from the last 15 or so years and they pretty much all look exactly the same, minus the names and numbers.

It actually took quite a while for this thread to devolve into a "Was Cleveland Treated Fairly After The Browns Move?" discussion. Kudos to all involved.

For the record, I sympathize with the Cleveland fans, but I think Cleveland was treated much better than other cities in similar situations. Now, let's try to leave it at that.

I know its not the time or place, but I clearly disagree with your view. 8 months from awarding the franchise to the ownership group til the first draft and mini-camp. 8 months.

The Lerner/ Policy group was given the team the same night McGuire broke Maris' HR record. The persser was on live in town while the baseball moment was in a buble in the corner of the screen. The was the end of September.

By April, they went from having nothing but the rights and keys to the facility to having a non-football staff, things like office furnature (which typically, Art took with him), costodial staff, trash cans, to having a football front office, scouts, coaches, scouting reports, free agents and ultimately in April, an NFL draft. They had nothing but an empty building.

It was the most ridiculous start up time in sports history. The Panthers, Jags and Texans each had well over 2 years fo ramp up, scouting and coaching staffs in place, in addition to the mundane simple things I mentioned. The Browns had 8 months.

Please, Baltimore homer, dont tell me how fair the Browns, and ultimately their long suffering fans, were treated by the g-damn league thru this thing.

Nuff said.

I have a drawer full of Browns jerseys from the last 15 or so years and they pretty much all look exactly the same, minus the names and numbers.

That's a beautiful thing.

Yup. The best was in 94 when the NFL first did thier throw back thing. Every team trotted out these ridiculous things and the Browns announced they would wear their throw backs against the Cards, who wore thiers as well. Well, the great thing was that the Browns throw backs looked EXACTLY like thier 1994 look. There wasnt a single difference. It was such a statement.

I always loved that.

Totally classic, Cleveland Browns.

Big win today. Go Browns!

I know its not the time or place, but I clearly disagree with your view. 8 months from awarding the franchise to the ownership group til the first draft and mini-camp. 8 months.

The Lerner/ Policy group was given the team the same night McGuire broke Maris' HR record. The persser was on live in town while the baseball moment was in a buble in the corner of the screen. The was the end of September.

By April, they went from having nothing but the rights and keys to the facility to having a non-football staff, things like office furnature (which typically, Art took with him), costodial staff, trash cans, to having a football front office, scouts, coaches, scouting reports, free agents and ultimately in April, an NFL draft. They had nothing but an empty building.

It was the most ridiculous start up time in sports history. The Panthers, Jags and Texans each had well over 2 years fo ramp up, scouting and coaching staffs in place, in addition to the mundane simple things I mentioned. The Browns had 8 months.

Please, Baltimore homer, dont tell me how fair the Browns, and ultimately their long suffering fans, were treated by the g-damn league thru this thing.

Nuff said.

1) You...got...an...expansion...team... That was both an unprecedented move in speed and being decided. In fact, because you had to have a team so gosh darn fast, the NFL wasn't able to give Cleveland the needed start up time. In addition, you got to keep the old team's history....which has NEVER happened elsewhere in major league sports. Again...Cleveland fans got a better deal than any other fanbase has gotten before or since after losing a team. It's hypocritical, and somewhat offensive, to be mad at the NFL because you got your franchise TOO FAST.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1) You...got...an...expansion...team... That was both an unprecedented move in speed and being decided. In fact, because you had to have a team so gosh darn fast, the NFL wasn't able to give Cleveland the needed start up time. In addition, you got to keep the old team's history....which has NEVER happened elsewhere in major league sports. Again...Cleveland fans got a better deal than any other fanbase has gotten before or since after losing a team. It's hypocritical, and somewhat offensive, to be mad at the NFL because you got your franchise TOO FAST.

Too fast? They were gone three years. They waited as long as they could on what to do with Cleveland because they used it as a threat to other cities that their team would leave and go to Cleveland to be the Browns. They could have decided well before they did so the new Browns would be able to put together their staff, and scout for the expansion and college drafts along with everthing else that goes into putting an organization together.

On topic, no elf on helmet.

Too fast? They were gone three years. They waited as long as they could on what to do with Cleveland because they used it as a threat to other cities that their team would leave and go to Cleveland to be the Browns. They could have decided well before they did so the new Browns would be able to put together their staff, and scout for the expansion and college drafts along with everthing else that goes into putting an organization together.

Could you provide a link on other teams threatening to move there? I know the NFL did have a couple of threatened and actual moves during that time period, but I don't think a team threatened to go to Cleveland. I thought it was pretty much a given that the new Cleveland team would be an expansion team, and then it turned into a "hurry up" franchise because Browns fans were impatient. Face it...the NFL coddled you. It is ungrateful of you to complain about the state of the franchise, when it is in a large part your doing. <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I can't add too much to this. Well said, rams80.

I will add this . . . Art Modell paid for and owned the office furniture. Why wouldn't he take it with him? I'm willing to bet that there was no office furniture at the old Colts complex when the Ravens arrived . . . 13 years later.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

To get back on topic, if I were a marketing genius for the Browns I would keep the unis and helmets the same, while working on an improvement of the graphical identity of the team.

Look at college teams such as Penn State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Boston College, Army, Navy, etc. - these teams have blank helmets, and yet some form of logo, not just a blank helmet as a logo. Notre Dame has the leprechaun, BC has the eagle, the Browns need something identifiable.

I would consider making a script "C" or interlocking script "CB" like the font used in their endzones this season. This logo could be used in such places as mid-field, TV graphics...etc.

Look at college teams such as Penn State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Boston College, Army, Navy, etc. - these teams have blank helmets, and yet some form of logo, not just a blank helmet as a logo. Notre Dame has the leprechaun, BC has the eagle, the Browns need something identifiable.

I completely agree.

They should use the Brownie more. Problem solved.

I completely agree.

They should use the Brownie more. Problem solved.

I agree with both of these posts. Astrobull hit the nail on the head.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived