XHL's Philadelphia Bruisers

BB61

Alright, I've been here two years, and finally... FINALLY... am doing my first hockey concept. (OMG its my 1st tiem so plz to be gentle).

The logos were made by 33Hooligan (thank you, kind sir), who tweaked the af2's Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz to create what you see below.

bruisersphili3copy.jpg

The uniforms I did from scratch -- I used AsM's template because they were completely blank, and I didn't have to worry about templated looks or seams or whatever, and I could be a little bit more... unique.

BruisersUniforms.jpg

I've always loved the different color trunk / sleeve look, so that's what I went with. I used vertical lines, but I think I did so in a tasteful manner. As for the alt, I wanted to do something that was part Philadelphia Quakers, part future Dallas (with the name above the number, but there's another team in the league with that so I didn't), and picked up a rugged, almost "alleyway" font for everything. Every team needs an "ugly" third, and this is ours. ;-)

C&C appreciated, fire away, lads.

philly.png

Gee, guys... glad you all liked it.

EDIT: Crap... I realize that I Patsoxed the bottom of one of the socks and left a bit of one of the uniforms up top... I'll have to fix that when I can get to my computer...

philly.png

These look nice, Brian. You've pulled off the different color sleeves well, I think. I'm not crazy about the alt though, with the paintbrush font. I'm not sure where that wordmark is coming from, either. But overall, it's a good job that you could see on the ice in any league.

Guest darkpiranha

I really like this overall, but I have to agree with the comment about the colors not being bruise-y. The color scheme you have is pretty unique, which I'm sure was one of the reasons you went with it. But as cliche as it might sound, you might want to try black and blue and purple.

The logo looks great as well, but what about giving the dog one bruised eye, like he just got out of a fight. Combined with the great expression the dog has, a bruised eye would almost give him a soccer hooligan, happy to have just been a a fight, sort of look.

And it also is probably intentional, but the spikes on the collar look like horns, which combined with the red make the dog look like a devil. It's a great idea, but it kinda competes with the basic bruiser concept by making me first think 'devil', and then having to readjust back to just "bruiser". Maybe put the spikes on the circle around the logo itself?

I dunno ... seems like every bruise I've ever had has turned black, purple, red, or that brownish-gold. Of course, some have turned green too, but that just be too garish. ^_^

One thing that's been bouncing around my head for a while now, though, Brian, is the numbers/lettering. And the more I think about it, the more I wish it would change. I mean, the logo is kinda jagged and pointy, which is why Demonized works for the wordmark. But it seems like the Cardinals' numbers aren't quite pointy enough to go with it. Maybe something like City Bold or the Texans' numbers? I dunno. I'm probably not even making much sense here. But maybe something to think about. Handbags.

Archived