"Official" 2007 College Football Thread

Drew22

Georgia President Wants an 8-Team Playoff.

I have mixed feelings about this. While I firmly believe that the current system is unable to consistently crown a definitive champion, I am unsure if this is any better. My main fear is that non-BCS schools would be shut out somehow, although it's a moot point if they retain some sort of "Boise State Rule."

Regardless of the details, this just seems like Georgia whining that they didn't get a shot at the "national title" because they didn't take care of business during the season.

... oh jeez.... for a moment I thought you were talking about Mikheil Saakashvili. :wacko:

I don't about an 8-team playoff. College football season is long enough as it is already (kids gotta study ya know ^_^) A four-team playoff, specifically for those who won their conferences and regardless of conference, would be fine by me.

Every other division has at least a 16 team playoff, and can study just fine. I'm sure the students at the playoff schools will be able to handle the additional "disruption" of their "academic careers".

Yeah, I suppose... and considering it's Division 1-A, how many football players study anyways? :upside:

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my 8-Team Playoff Proposal (For dates, I'm going by Mizzou's schedule to kinda make it easier to show. Plus it's really the only one I know.) I'm putting two dates per round. The first would be with 3 Saturdays off between Semi-Finals and Bowls, and the second date is with 2 Saturdays off.

Nov. 24/Dec. 1: Conference Championships (If a Conf. doesn't play one, then this is another game. Have to play on this day. CanNOT not play and advance in the polls like some teams can do now.)

Dec. 1/Dec. 8: Playoffs 1st Round

Dec. 8/Dec. 15: Semi-Finals

Dec. 15/Dec. 22: OFF

Dec. 22/Dec. 29: OFF

Bowls would commence on currently set dates.

Using this year's Bowl format to show each games rank in placement:

BCS Title Game - New Orleans (Sugar Bowl - "Host Bowl")

3rd Place: Orange Bowl

5th Place: Rose Bowl

7th Place: Fiesta Bowl

9th Place or Non-Playoff BCS Match-Up: Sugar Bowl

The Bowl Game of the city hosting the title game is automatically the game featuring the 2 (9th and 10th) teams that are not chosen for the playoffs.

Requirements:

- All Champions of the 6 BCS Conf. are seeded 1-6.

- 2 At-Larges (1 from 2 different BCS Conf. or Qualified Mid-Majors)

- BCS Conf. Teams can play 1 game against a Mid-Major (mainly to help a case for a good Mid-Major team come playoff time)

All other games must be against BCS Teams.

- Notre Dame, depending on final record and all, can be placed anywhere from 1-8, pushing a Conf. champ into 7 or 8 seed.

- Notre Dame, or any Independent actually, can only play against BCS Conf. teams in order to be elgible for Playoffs.

- If a BCS team loses to a Mid-Major, they are automatically disqualified from BCS Playoff and 5th game. (You wanna play in the big games, you gotta win the small games.)

Here's my 8-Team Playoff Proposal (For dates, I'm going by Mizzou's schedule to kinda make it easier to show. Plus it's really the only one I know.) I'm putting two dates per round. The first would be with 3 Saturdays off between Semi-Finals and Bowls, and the second date is with 2 Saturdays off.

Nov. 24/Dec. 1: Conference Championships (If a Conf. doesn't play one, then this is another game. Have to play on this day. CanNOT not play and advance in the polls like some teams can do now.)

The Bowl Game of the city hosting the title game is automatically the game featuring the 2 (9th and 10th) teams that are not chosen for the playoffs.

Requirements:

- BCS Conf. Teams can play 1 game against a Mid-Major (mainly to help a case for a good Mid-Major team come playoff time)

- Notre Dame, depending on final record and all, can be placed anywhere from 1-8, pushing a Conf. champ into 7 or 8 seed.

- Notre Dame, or any Independent actually, can only play against BCS Conf. teams in order to be elgible for Playoffs.

- If a BCS team loses to a Mid-Major, they are automatically disqualified from BCS Playoff and 5th game. (You wanna play in the big games, you gotta win the small games.)

I gotta go to a meeting. I'll finish my "Proposal" Later. Thanks.

I disagree with several of your points about non-BCS Conferences. It appears that the way you are setting up the system, BCS teams have far more to lose now from playing these teams and little to gain. Given the conditions you have set up, BCS teams won't play the likes of Brigham Young, TCU, Utah, Boise State, or Hawaii, but opt for Sun Belt and MAC teams instead to fill their quota. As the good mid majors won't be able to play BCS teams, they may lose crucial strength of schedule points for making the playoff.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, App did end up with something like 5 points in the last poll, not too bad, I guess some local guy voted us in at 20, but still impressive for a FCS team.

And besides, we won the national championship because:

Appalachian St beat

Michigan who beat

Florida who beat

Kentucky who beat

LSU

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Requirements:

I gotta go to a meeting. I'll finish my "Proposal" Later. Thanks.

I disagree with several of your points about non-BCS Conferences. It appears that the way you are setting up the system, BCS teams have far more to lose now from playing these teams and little to gain. Given the conditions you have set up, BCS teams won't play the likes of Brigham Young, TCU, Utah, Boise State, or Hawaii, but opt for Sun Belt and MAC teams instead to fill their quota. As the good mid majors won't be able to play BCS teams, they may lose crucial strength of schedule points for making the playoff.

I see what your saying. I have a little more thinking to do on that aspect. Though, I do believe that if your going to be an Independent, to qualify for the Nat'l Championship, you should only be allowed to play BCS Conf. teams. And this coming from a Notre Dame fan.

Michigan QB Ryan Mallett is considering transferring to Tennessee.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3188170

Maybe there is something to those DeBord rumors.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived