Strange "New" Helmet

buckeyes

I was watching the Illinois at Missouri game on ESPN2 and i noticed one of illinois players is wearing on the the weirdest helmets i have ever seen. #42 Kevin Mitchell. It looks like a dna but it has two lumps above the ear hole that look to be connected to the face mask. the face mask itself looks strange too. the side bars are flat, it almost looks like it wouldbe plastic. Anybody else watching? Ill try to find a picture.

It looked a bit different though. I didn't notice the bumps on the top.

I mentioned it to my friend watching and he igored me. Pretty much the same reaction I got to when I excitedly said "Illinois in orange!!"

Yeah, I noticed that too when watching the game, I would rather of preferred Illinois to have worn the blue jerseys, but whatever, Mizzou won thats all I care about.

BTW are they still playing for that one glass trophy with the arch on it?

Yeah, I noticed that too when watching the game, I would rather of preferred Illinois to have worn the blue jerseys, but whatever, Mizzou won thats all I care about.

BTW are they still playing for that one glass trophy with the arch on it?

I know they were calling the game the Arch Rivalry, so they might have. I thought Illinois was going to come back and win, at least they'll take the trophy in basketball.

i am a huge fan of the dna and so far im still undecided on this helmet. some dna helmets look better than others (like penn state) because the ear holes and top of the helmet holes are more visable, ill have to wait to see more teams wear this one before i can really judge. so far i think this "ion" isn't bad but i still like the dna better.

Hell of a game.

Thought we were gonna pull it off.

Any one of about 15 things could have gone differently and the Illini probably would have won, but such is football...sports...life. All things considered (young team, lost their stud QB and had to put in a guy who'd never seen an NCAA snap, huge deficit, hostile--though nearly neutral--crowd), there's mostly positives to come from this game for my Illini. I just freaking hate losing.

I loved our orange jerseys.

If only we'd get rid of or fix the blue uniforms and pants, this stuff wouldn't suck so bad. The problem with the blue of course is that the piping on those items is white, so when it's worn with the white or orange (which have navy piping), the piping clashes instead of flowing.

I'd suggest just removing the piping from the blue pieces of the uniform. That of course doesn't include the upper level of pipiping by the shoulders and collar. That can remain their in white, just as it is white in that area on the orange jersey.

We had an earlier thread about "overdesigned" uniforms, and this case it's overdesigned helmets. I am all for safety, but the extra frills of a helmet shouldn't overshadow the design elements.

Unless something has changed in the past couple years, every new helmet design has some kind of practical reason for looking the way it does. And dome protection should always take priority over design.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but Schutt just put up information on the ION 4D on their website. For anyone who wants to build a template with this model, their is a pretty good-sized gallery as well. Here is their site:

Schutt main page

ION 4D Gallery

Seems like Schutt snuck another helmet in as well - the Air XP:

Schutt Air XP

This appears to be a more "normal" shell with the guts of the ION that uses their normal facemasks. Unfortunately there aren't any good exterior photos of it on the site; here's a not-too-clear photo of Gbaja-Biamila of the Packers wearing one:

photo43.jpg

It looks like they finally discontinued the old Pro Air II; at least it isn't on the website any more. I think that was the last of the pre-Schutt designs.

I was reading up on that helmet, and I found this interesting:

NO HELMET SYSTEM CAN PROTECT YOU FROM SERIOUS BRAIN AND/OR NECK INJURIES INCLUDING PARALYSIS OR DEATH. TO AVOID THESE RISKS, DO NOT ENGAGE IN THE SPORT OF FOOTBALL.

Nice way of selling your stuff Schutt.

Yeah, that warning will be just as effective at changing someone's behavior as the warning on a pack of cigarettes.

I was reading up on that helmet, and I found this interesting:

NO HELMET SYSTEM CAN PROTECT YOU FROM SERIOUS BRAIN AND/OR NECK INJURIES INCLUDING PARALYSIS OR DEATH. TO AVOID THESE RISKS, DO NOT ENGAGE IN THE SPORT OF FOOTBALL.

Nice way of selling your stuff Schutt.

That warning should have this attached to the end of the paragraph: :rolleyes:

It does sound a bit better than "please don't sue us".

Im guessing either A its so they dont get sued or B because they are mandated to do it, hence why there are the warning stickers on all helmets that are not supposed to be removed. If they have it on the helmet they might as well have it on the site.

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but Schutt just put up information on the ION 4D on their website. For anyone who wants to build a template with this model, their is a pretty good-sized gallery as well. Here is their site:

Schutt main page

ION 4D Gallery

Seems like Schutt snuck another helmet in as well - the Air XP:

Schutt Air XP

This appears to be a more "normal" shell with the guts of the ION that uses their normal facemasks. Unfortunately there aren't any good exterior photos of it on the site; here's a not-too-clear photo of Gbaja-Biamila of the Packers wearing one:

photo43.jpg

It looks like they finally discontinued the old Pro Air II; at least it isn't on the website any more. I think that was the last of the pre-Schutt designs.

I saw that game and noticed a different looking helmet and even went back on the tivo. Thought I was seeing things

Im guessing either A its so they dont get sued or B because they are mandated to do it, hence why there are the warning stickers on all helmets that are not supposed to be removed. If they have it on the helmet they might as well have it on the site.

I think it was both - they were sued and as a result they are mandated to put the warning on the helmet.

Since the start of the 1970s the number of companies making helmets for "adults" (i.e. pros, colleges, and high school varsity) has shrunk from a high of perhaps 6-7 down to 3 primarily because of the lawsuits. Even the successful Air helmets were sold off because of lawsuit fears.

If anyone remembers, the original Air Power helmets were originally sold by Bike when they came out in the 1970s. However, in the early 1980s Bike's parent company, Southern Athletic, was purchased by a medical equipment company. That parent company got scared off by the lawsuits and spun the company out as "Air Helmet Inc." (although it might have been "Air Helmet Industries") or "AhI" While they were independent for a year or so they came up with that logo that was on the sweatbands and eventually the rear snubbers of "AiR" where the "A" combined the "A" and the "H" of "AHI". They were only independent for a year or so when Schutt bought them out.

Bike is a two-time loser at the helmet game. After their non-compete with AHI/Schutt expired they saw there hadn't been any huge class-action lawsuits so they developed the "Grid Pro" lightweight helmet. This helmet was so popular their manufacturing supplier couldn't meet the orders and they wound up selling out to Adams. However, it appears that helmet isn't as popular as it once was. I don't see many players other than kickers wearing it any more outside of Warren Sapp and a few other OLs or DLs.

Archived