NFL Captain's C's

StevieY19

Another stupid change. This looks like some really bad car logo or something. They don't need it, and they should put it as a helmet decal instead of jersey clutter.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think these patches are the worst thing to happen to NFL uniforms since the inclusion of manufacturer logos on the jerseys. It is such a ridiculous and unnecessary idea, where do I begin to express my hatred...

1. They clutter the already shrinking jerseys waaay to much, and I'm afraid to see what they'll look like on teams like Tennessee or the Jets, let alone teams like Pittsburgh and Philly who already have patches this year.

2. Picking 5 team captains kinda defeats the point, doesn't it? Three in hockey is enough. And the Patriots are naming seven. SEVEN?? Are you f'ing kidding me? there's gonna be more captains than non-captains.

3. The design of the poatch itself-awful. The font of the C doesn't read well, and when you enclose it in the little box, it's even harder to understand. And with the stars and the gold, it really just doesn't look like a sports-related emblem at all. It looks like a TV rating system logo, or an electronics company or something. It certainly doesn't say "THIS guy is the captain, show some respect".

4. Every team uses the same friggin patch? The "C" already doesn't match any team's font. Why wouldn't they at least let each team use their own font, so it doesn't look so God-awful and out of place on teams like the Bears, Packers and Raiders and (as we've already seen) Colts?

Lastly, let me just say that I hope to GOD that replica jerseys for the likes of Urlacher and Manning NEVER feature these patches, so fans don't have to walk around with these ridiculous badges on their shirts.

With all that said, I'm gonna try not to let this spoil my Bears' Super Bowl run, and pray the league realizes how terrible this whole program is and axes it ASAP.

I honestly think these patches are the worst thing to happen to NFL uniforms since the inclusion of manufacturer logos on the jerseys. It is such a ridiculous and unnecessary idea, where do I begin to express my hatred...

1. They clutter the already shrinking jerseys waaay to much, and I'm afraid to see what they'll look like on teams like Tennessee or the Jets, let alone teams like Pittsburgh and Philly who already have patches this year.

2. Picking 5 team captains kinda defeats the point, doesn't it? Three in hockey is enough. And the Patriots are naming seven. SEVEN?? Are you f'ing kidding me? there's gonna be more captains than non-captains.

3. The design of the poatch itself-awful. The font of the C doesn't read well, and when you enclose it in the little box, it's even harder to understand. And with the stars and the gold, it really just doesn't look like a sports-related emblem at all. It looks like a TV rating system logo, or an electronics company or something. It certainly doesn't say "THIS guy is the captain, show some respect".

4. Every team uses the same friggin patch? The "C" already doesn't match any team's font. Why wouldn't they at least let each team use their own font, so it doesn't look so God-awful and out of place on teams like the Bears, Packers and Raiders and (as we've already seen) Colts?

Lastly, let me just say that I hope to GOD that replica jerseys for the likes of Urlacher and Manning NEVER feature these patches, so fans don't have to walk around with these ridiculous badges on their shirts.

With all that said, I'm gonna try not to let this spoil my Bears' Super Bowl run, and pray the league realizes how terrible this whole program is and axes it ASAP.

Note, the rules do say that they can't have seven captains, the most they can have is six.

Though I wonder if this demarcation is not as much for the fans as it is for the officials? After all, only the captains are supposed to speak with the referee concerning penalties.

LvZYtbZ.png

the captain's C in hockey and the captain's armband in soccer are iconic - symbols of leadership and responsibility, akin to a crown that cannot be taken lightly.

if these new NFL patches didn't have the stars, I'd be much happier (why four years? So arbitrary). with the stars, they're alright, though I agree with the masses who say that those who have been long-term captains should have all four stars filled in already. I wish the placement was more uniform though.

harperdc.gif

What bothers me with the stars is that everyone started over this year. Peyton has been a captain for a while now, why does he get one star? He should already have his filled up. The nice thing about these, is if you sit in the upper deck of the stadium like I did last night, you don't even notice them. Go Colts.

the captain's C in hockey and the captain's armband in soccer are iconic - symbols of leadership and responsibility, akin to a crown that cannot be taken lightly.

if these new NFL patches didn't have the stars, I'd be much happier (why four years? So arbitrary). with the stars, they're alright, though I agree with the masses who say that those who have been long-term captains should have all four stars filled in already. I wish the placement was more uniform though.

Well, even though you have phenomenal taste in your football team... :D

...I have to disagree with most of your post.

1. The patch isn't really that big so I don't see it cluttering any uniform. Its no bigger than any Super Bowl patch (which was worn quite nicely by our beloved Bears) so I don't think its too distracting

2. The number of team captains is pretty irrelevant considering that in team sports like football or hockey you always have more than one captain. In college for example, there can be more than five captains because of the size of the teams.

3 & 4. HA! TV rating thing is funny, didn't think of that. So would the Sopranos be Four Stars? I think the design is just okay, not great. It really isn't too hard to read because the box works pretty well to give the 'C' a visual home to sit it as opposed to being all by itself and just floating there like it does on a hockey uniform. Another thing that bothers me about hockey 'C' and 'A' designations is the fact that the letters usually match the uniform font, which I think is a horrible idea. It blends way too much. A captain's letter should stand out and be visible easily by all. That is why I like the uniformity of the 'C' patches for all of the teams.

BTW, I doubt that the Brian Urlacher replica jerseys will have the patches, but hey if they do then wear it with pride.....all the way to the Super Bowl. :D

I like that all teams have the same style, none look better then the other. MLB better not adapt this, Variteks jersey looks awful with the C.

So you mean all teams look equally bad.

I'm among those that thinks this is just a stupid marketing ploy. I thought the traditional uniforms of my Colts looked horrible last night with those garish patches slapped on the jersey. When Al Michaels said that it is an option for teams to wear the patches, I think that's the evidence that the NFL really just wants to make more money off of suckers who buy anything new that the league comes out with. If it's not a requirement, than the refs must not be that needy of seeing captains' patches all the time. If they've made it over 80 years with (what I'd guess) about less than 5% of teams wearing some visual that lets the refs identify who captains are, then why start now?

Never been a fan of displaying the captain with a "C". It kinda defeats the purpose. Captains usually lead through example and tough play which earns the respect and capt status from their teammates. No labels are needed.

But the C isn't all inclusive so the fact that they're displayed should be moot.

I just don't like the fact that it's all uniform. Really...they should just do like the NHL and have the captaincy letter be either the font of the nameplate, font of the team's nickname script logo, or some special font like the Blues' captain, Flames alternate captain, or the Rangers captains. I'm not down with this patch.

Really the minimum captains in football are three players if you think about it. Logical situation is quarterback, linebacker, offensive lineman or special teams [i.e. kicker]. But...do what you want to do.

I like that all teams have the same style, none look better then the other. MLB better not adapt this, Variteks jersey looks awful with the C.

I'm among those that thinks this is just a stupid marketing ploy. I thought the traditional uniforms of my Colts looked horrible last night with those garish patches slapped on the jersey. When Al Michaels said that it is an option for teams to wear the patches, I think that's the evidence that the NFL really just wants to make more money off of suckers who buy anything new that the league comes out with. If it's not a requirement, than the refs must not be that needy of seeing captains' patches all the time. If they've made it over 80 years with (what I'd guess) about less than 5% of teams wearing some visual that lets the refs identify who captains are, then why start now?

THANK YOU!

I was wondering how the "only designated captains can speak to referees" rule would work for teams that elect not to wear the patches. Like "sorry, you won't wear them, so you can't talk to the refs until you do.".

UniWatch is predicting that since it's optional, the system'll die out because of its obvious stupidity.

Too bad we have to sit through even one season of this crap.

THANK YOU!

I was wondering how the "only designated captains can speak to referees" rule would work for teams that elect not to wear the patches. Like "sorry, you won't wear them, so you can't talk to the refs until you do.".

UniWatch is predicting that since it's optional, the system'll die out because of its obvious stupidity.

Too bad we have to sit through even one season of this crap.

Obvious to who? Although the execution might be in question, the concept is actually pretty solid and quite appropriate.

The more I think about it, the more I feel this is just a money making scheme concocted by RBK. I may be reaching, but look. RBK has the NHL and the NFL. The NFL, by far, is king. The NHL, not so much. How can we sell merchandise for the NHL? 1. Use different, sleek fabric. 2. Rebrand every teamn 3. Put the NHL shield on the collar like the NFL. 4. Use piping like some of the NFL/NCAA redesigns use. 5. Have the NFL do something hockey does (the "C") to relate the two.

So there you have it. I think RBK just wants to cross over the two sports on a design standpoint only to pad their pockets by using the dominant sport to influence the non-dominant. That's just my .02 for the day.

KISSwall09.jpg

Neither the Eagles nor the Packers appear to be sporting the patch.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm actually quite surprised...it doesn't look that bad on the Titans' dark blue uniforms.

That's about the only uniform I don't mind it much on. I personally like the idea of Captain's C's on uniforms, just hate the execution. The size, font, standardization, and random/wacky/gaudy stars all spell doom for a decent idea, IMO.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Didn't see any patches on the Vikings today, by god.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Archived