Twins break out the vests

spyboy1

Last Friday the Twins played their first ever split double header at the Metrodome in 25 years when they made up the game postponed the day after the 35W bridge collapse. The Twins were also scheduled to play the next morning at 11 am so the field could be converted for football in time for the Gopher football game the next night, leaving the Twins with 3 games to play in the space of 25 hours.

This meant that the Twins seemingly forgotten vest jerseys made a surprise reappearance, their first use of the year, and not until the final day in August!

Since the jerseys apparently have a “bad luck” reputation with the club from last year, it didn’t help that they played a rotten game in them this time, committing 3 errors in a 9-4 loss to Kansas City.

Sorry, but it seems that photos of baseball games are nearly impossible to find online. Everyone’s got video links and most of the wire service photos were from the night game.

IUOG3yA3.jpg

Then, after Monday’s game I got a chance to talk to the Twins team President and I asked him if Friday’s game was actually the first time they were worn all year and he said. “Yes, that was the first time they were worn and, based on the way we played, you won’t be seeing them again any time soon.”

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I actually thought they had "officially" dumped the jerseys. Hopefully they will now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's too bad the Twins won't be making the playoffs this year. Their recent play (especially for getting swept in Cleveland

and splitting four with Kansas City) really has all but sealed their fate. At the same time, I am pissed at Torii Hunter

distancing himself from the team thanks to his vow to test the free agent market and then not participating in last week's

new ballpark groundbreaking ceremony.

Not to get too much off a tangent there, sorry. I don't want to see the Twins wear those sleeveless jerseys anymore.

I agree it is bad luck now that I think about it. If the team played outdoors, I can understand them wearing such a jersey.

But it is inside the Metrodome. Doesn't make sense to me.

I didn't realize it was a double-header on Friday until I was at the ballpark for the nightcap. I was curious to see the vests. Ah, well, I did get to see the Twins get within two outs of a no-hitter.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

If wearing the pixie vests isn't the Minnesota equivalent of putting up a white flag and announcing that the season is done, I don't know what it. If the players had any team pride left at this point in the season, they'd have rather played in last night's unwashed unis than wear the vests. The 2007 Twins are over.

Shame, too, since until middle of last week I really thought they had a late-season push in them. Enough games against the Central to leapfrog and take the division, but this weekend's results pretty well put that out of reach. A pennant is still mathematically possible, but does a Twins team that's willing to wear the vests really have the heart to make the miracle happen?

Speaking of, does anyone know if the Twins are thinking about a uniform tweak for the new ballpark? The current uniforms are an absolute mess; I'd rather see them go back to the current uniform's roots, but I'd be happy with any attempt to clean up the team's muddled look.

20082614447.png

I didn't realize it was a double-header on Friday until I was at the ballpark for the nightcap. I was curious to see the vests. Ah, well, I did get to see the Twins get within two outs of a no-hitter.

Man, you sure picked the right game to go to that day. The early game was a real stinker, uniform aside.

I've always liked the vest look. It's just so 1960 Pirates and all, but thought that the Twins needed to do something different than just chop the sleeves off of the home jerseys.

A "TC" logo on the left chest would have been so much better. That, or using the original "Twins" script. Anything, but what they ended up doing.

HansonsSig.jpg

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

How are the current uniforms an "absolute mess"?

I'm curious about that myself. I don't think the "TC" addition makes it a mess. I do think that three alts is a problem, particularly when none of them adds anything. I'd rather see them go to one alt, maybe with the TC on the chest or something. Other than that, I am not sold on "absolute mess."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I'm curious about that myself. I don't think the "TC" addition makes it a mess. I do think that three alts is a problem, particularly when none of them adds anything. I'd rather see them go to one alt, maybe with the TC on the chest or something. Other than that, I am not sold on "absolute mess."

I was kinda happy to see the vests-yes I do own an authentic Mauer one and rarely have worn it. I had a feeling Matt Garza was going to pick the vests since only he and Carlos Silva were the only ones to wear them last year. Silva even wore them once with the just as rare red hats, which are still officially the 3rd hat.

I wish they had done the TC as the logo instead, but since the Twins hardly wear the vests I don't think the "Twins President" should just dismiss them. Need to wear them more to really make a call like that, but baseball is about superstitions.

My fav Twins jersey is the road blue alt. I actually could handle 1 blue alt if it was the road version (which they did wear at home in 1997 after the Dairy Queen jersey made it's one appearance).

Also curious about a uniform change in 2010 with the new park, but I do know supposedly the Twins have wanted to make this look a "classic" look since they won 2 World Series in this design.

It seems Matt Garza is the only pitcher who likes to wear them. I'm currect in assuming the starting pitcher picks the jerseys right? If so, the last time they were worn last year, I am almost positive Garza was pitching, now it was him again. I was not too thrilled to see them, that's for sure.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

It seems Matt Garza is the only pitcher who likes to wear them. I'm currect in assuming the starting pitcher picks the jerseys right? If so, the last time they were worn last year, I am almost positive Garza was pitching, now it was him again. I was not too thrilled to see them, that's for sure.

Garza picked them once last year, once this year. Silva picked the vests 2 or 3 times last year, including once with the red hat. Garza was the last one to pick the vests until this past Friday.

The starting pitcher picks the jersey on the Twins, correct.

It's too bad the Twins won't be making the playoffs this year. Their recent play (especially for getting swept in Cleveland

and splitting four with Kansas City) really has all but sealed their fate. At the same time, I am pissed at Torii Hunter

distancing himself from the team thanks to his vow to test the free agent market and then not participating in last week's

new ballpark groundbreaking ceremony.

I wonder how Torii likes Atlanta....

It's not a mess in terms of being completely sucky, like the Mets wearing black alts. But the Twins took one of the great uniform designs of the post-pullover era and fiddled with it on the margins until it's almost true to say that the Twins do not have a team uniform anymore. It's really the team's uniformed identity that's a mess. Consider the additions in the last decade or so:

TC Cap: Logo has no relation to any other element of the uniform. On top of which, it is easily the worst or second-worst designed cap in the big leagues, due to the low contrast between the red C and the blue of the cap. I love the TC logo and the sort of quirkiness that it represents, but as applied on the current home caps it's truly a monumentally crappy logo (though easily fixed, if the Twins cared to have a TC logo where both letters were visible from any distance). But that's not the point: The point it, the TC cap is unrelated in any way to any other element of the home uniform. It's just thrown on with no consideration for design.

Alternate Jerseys: Home and road. That gives the team four shirts, which is at least one too many. Plus the solid-blue and red piping doesn't match the team's pinstriped pants in terms of style. Worst of all, the blue of the alt jersey fabric clashes quite visibly with the blue of the caps. Under most lighting conditions, in person and especially on TV, the alt jerseys simply do not match the rest of the uniform. I would expect better of a serious summer youth ball team's uniforms; this flaw is absolutely unforgivable at the big leagues.

Alternate Cap: Then, because the team is afraid that you might still be taking them seriously as a professional sports club, the Twins threw their old 1970s-early 80s red TC cap into the mix. Why not, right? It's not like any other elements of the uniforms match each other anymore. Just for entertainment value, raise your hand if you're a Twins fan and you really want to bring back memories of the 1978 or '82 teams that wore the red caps. Anyone? No? Huh. Imagine that.

Pixie Vests: And then, hey, since they've already got four different jerseys and three caps, for eight distinct uniforms the Twins can wear without mixing "home" and "road" elements -- as if those terms mean anything when your uniform set has 36 possible combinations of pants, jersey, and cap -- the Twins decided to rip the sleeves off of their home uniform, to make six possible home variations and four possible road variations. (Set aside the question of why a team that plays in an air-conditioned room on a plush carpet would need to take its sleeves off.) The Twins can now go 10 games without wearing the same uniform twice -- and on only one of those days will each element of the uniform have been designed to match the other elements of that uniform.

The sum total of which is that the Minnesota Twins do not have uniforms anymore. They have a wardrobe of mix-and-match separates. That is why I say the Twins' uniforms are a mess. They are. It is not possible for it to be a true statement that the Yankees or the Dodgers have good uniforms if it is not also true that the Twins uniforms are something approaching a disaster. There is no conceivable principle of uniform design that would allow a person to praise any "classic" team uniform that is not violated by Minnesota's current "uniforms".

None of this is to say that I think the Twins have bad or ugly uniforms. I love the Twins and I wear the TC cap proudly even if I wish they'd fix it up a bit and I think that when you pare back all the crap that the team has done to its uniforms in the last decade or so, you're left with the elements of a truly great uniform. But there's no use pretending that the team hasn't made a complete hash of its uniformed identity.

20082614447.png

It's not a mess in terms of being completely sucky, like the Mets wearing black alts. But the Twins took one of the great uniform designs of the post-pullover era and fiddled with it on the margins until it's almost true to say that the Twins do not have a team uniform anymore. It's really the team's uniformed identity that's a mess. Consider the additions in the last decade or so:

TC Cap: Logo has no relation to any other element of the uniform. On top of which, it is easily the worst or second-worst designed cap in the big leagues, due to the low contrast between the red C and the blue of the cap. I love the TC logo and the sort of quirkiness that it represents, but as applied on the current home caps it's truly a monumentally crappy logo (though easily fixed, if the Twins cared to have a TC logo where both letters were visible from any distance). But that's not the point: The point it, the TC cap is unrelated in any way to any other element of the home uniform. It's just thrown on with no consideration for design.

Alternate Jerseys: Home and road. That gives the team four shirts, which is at least one too many. Plus the solid-blue and red piping doesn't match the team's pinstriped pants in terms of style. Worst of all, the blue of the alt jersey fabric clashes quite visibly with the blue of the caps. Under most lighting conditions, in person and especially on TV, the alt jerseys simply do not match the rest of the uniform. I would expect better of a serious summer youth ball team's uniforms; this flaw is absolutely unforgivable at the big leagues.

Alternate Cap: Then, because the team is afraid that you might still be taking them seriously as a professional sports club, the Twins threw their old 1970s-early 80s red TC cap into the mix. Why not, right? It's not like any other elements of the uniforms match each other anymore. Just for entertainment value, raise your hand if you're a Twins fan and you really want to bring back memories of the 1978 or '82 teams that wore the red caps. Anyone? No? Huh. Imagine that.

Pixie Vests: And then, hey, since they've already got four different jerseys and three caps, for eight distinct uniforms the Twins can wear without mixing "home" and "road" elements -- as if those terms mean anything when your uniform set has 36 possible combinations of pants, jersey, and cap -- the Twins decided to rip the sleeves off of their home uniform, to make six possible home variations and four possible road variations. (Set aside the question of why a team that plays in an air-conditioned room on a plush carpet would need to take its sleeves off.) The Twins can now go 10 games without wearing the same uniform twice -- and on only one of those days will each element of the uniform have been designed to match the other elements of that uniform.

The sum total of which is that the Minnesota Twins do not have uniforms anymore. They have a wardrobe of mix-and-match separates. That is why I say the Twins' uniforms are a mess. They are. It is not possible for it to be a true statement that the Yankees or the Dodgers have good uniforms if it is not also true that the Twins uniforms are something approaching a disaster. There is no conceivable principle of uniform design that would allow a person to praise any "classic" team uniform that is not violated by Minnesota's current "uniforms".

None of this is to say that I think the Twins have bad or ugly uniforms. I love the Twins and I wear the TC cap proudly even if I wish they'd fix it up a bit and I think that when you pare back all the crap that the team has done to its uniforms in the last decade or so, you're left with the elements of a truly great uniform. But there's no use pretending that the team hasn't made a complete hash of its uniformed identity.

IDK man, I have to disagree with you on this one. I think the logo is classic and works well on the cap. I believed they once had it against a red cap, and THAT looked horrible.

I'm no Nostradamus or anything, but I predict that the Twins will revamp their identity in correlation with the opening of their new ballpark in 2009-10 (or whenever it'll be) They are in dire need of a new uniform set. Pinstripes on a grey uni are one of my biggest pet peaves. That look should be illegal.

TC Cap: I think when they first introduced the TC cap as an alt, they still at least had the TC on the left sleeve at home. They have never 100% abandoned the TC. I cannot argue that the underlined M does not relate, as it matches the wordmark at home. However, Did the TC ever match the elements of older jerseys? Is it worse to use than the SD in San Diego or the KC in Kansas City? I just don't find this to be a big deal--though for some reason it bothers me withe the Nationals--I guess I just think that one is worse. As for the contrast, I have heard that before. I don't think it is as bad as you do.

Alternate Jerseys: I cannot argue with you. They need to have one alt that does not just replicate another jersey. As for the non-matching blues, I never noticed. Then again, I never noticed the Cowboys before I got to this board (so now it will probably bother me :) )

Alternate Cap: Again, I agree. The red cap sucks and does not match the uniforms. It is like that briefly-used blue Phillies cap. It was a nice cap but did not work with the rest of the uniform. The difference here is that the red TC cap is not even nice. However, they rarely use them.

Pixie Vests: Agree, but again rarely used.

If they do change for the new ballpark, I think and hope they will keep the TC. If so, it probably won't "match" the other elements of the uniform. I can live with that.

I also think that their design is far from one of the best of the post-pullover era. Something has always bugged me about the home wordmark. The different way of underlining (and underlining "win") and the odd formation of the "T" have always bugged me. I have never liked the underlined "M" or the road pinstripes. Of course, at the time I was just glad to be getting out of one of the worst uniforms of the pullover era. I cannot back my feelings up with any design-related language. I just never thought that the overall look was anything other than "OK."

And while they are dumping alts and making "Cs" on the caps more readable, they may as well dump the nameplates as well.

POTD (Shared)

Which I don't have a problem with at all. Of course, I also like the road pinstripes, so I suppose that says everything you need to know about my tastes. Or something.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Goodbye vests, possible hello to red home alts (they'd look great with the red 'TC' cap w/ the blue bill).

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Goodbye vests, possible hello to red home alts (they'd look great with the red 'TC' cap w/ the blue bill).

Where did you get that from? Red home alts?

Been there done that, wore them twice, hated 'em and dropped 'em.

twins-red.jpg

And now you want to combine that with red hats? :shocked:

Not. Going. To. Happen.

HansonsSig.jpg

Where did you get that from? Red home alts?

Been there done that, wore them twice, hated 'em and dropped 'em.

twins-red.jpg

And now you want to combine that with red hats? :shocked:

Not. Going. To. Happen.

AHHHHH!! KILL IT!!! KILL IT!!!

Not because the pic has the red alt... but because the pic has Chuck Knoblauch. :D

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Archived