Charlotte Bobcats Set to Unveil Makeover

Brian in Boston

1.Doesnt Charlotte Hornets just sounds so much better than both Charlotte Bobcats and New Orleans Hornets? how about working out a deal here?

Ooh, he stopped just short of involving the Jazz in such a proposition, and avoided much flaming. Close call, though.

HAY GUYZ I HAVE A GRATE IDEA SWITCH THE JAZZ AND HORNETS NAMES BECUZ UTAH IS THE BEEHIVE STATE AND HORNETS ARE KINDA BEES AND NEW ORLEANS HAS JAZZ IN IT SO IT WOULD BE PERFECT

Why stop at three teams? The name Nuggets would work for Golden State better than Denver (Nuggets, Golden State, Gold Rush, etc...)...Lakers works better for Minnesota than LA...Timberwolves could easily go to Denver...Bucks could go to LA since there's so much money there, and Warriors to Milwaukee since that used to be Marquette's nickname.

So, Utah trades Jazz to New Orleans for Hornets, then sends Hornets to Charlotte for Bobcats, Golden State trades Warriors to Denver for Nuggets, Denver sends Warriors to Milwaukee for Bucks, then sends Bucks to LA for Lakers, and sends Lakers to Minnesota for Timberwolves. Then we have:

New Orleans Jazz

Golden State Nuggets

Denver Timberwolves

Minnesota Lakers

Los Angeles Bucks

Utah Bobcats

Charlotte Hornets

Milwaukee Warriors

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1.Doesnt Charlotte Hornets just sounds so much better than both Charlotte Bobcats and New Orleans Hornets? how about working out a deal here?

Ooh, he stopped just short of involving the Jazz in such a proposition, and avoided much flaming. Close call, though.

HAY GUYZ I HAVE A GRATE IDEA SWITCH THE JAZZ AND HORNETS NAMES BECUZ UTAH IS THE BEEHIVE STATE AND HORNETS ARE KINDA BEES AND NEW ORLEANS HAS JAZZ IN IT SO IT WOULD BE PERFECT

Why stop at three teams? The name Nuggets would work for Golden State better than Denver (Nuggets, Golden State, Gold Rush, etc...)...Lakers works better for Minnesota than LA...Timberwolves could easily go to Denver...Bucks could go to LA since there's so much money there, and Warriors to Milwaukee since that used to be Marquette's nickname.

So, Utah trades Jazz to New Orleans for Hornets, then sends Hornets to Charlotte for Bobcats, Golden State trades Warriors to Denver for Nuggets, Denver sends Warriors to Milwaukee for Bucks, then sends Bucks to LA for Lakers, and sends Lakers to Minnesota for Timberwolves. Then we have:

New Orleans Jazz

Golden State Nuggets

Denver Timberwolves

Minnesota Lakers

Los Angeles Bucks

Utah Bobcats

Charlotte Hornets

Milwaukee Warriors

Actually, it would work much better in Denver because of the gold rush. Mining for gold and other metals was so prominent there that they built a branch of the US mint in Denver.

But I sense the sarcasm and jest in your post, so I'll ASSUME that you knew that and were making a joke. BTW, the LA Bucks made me chuckle....but only if you made the logo really BIG...get it? Aw forget it.....

First reaction: Eat it, O'Grady.

Second reaction: It should be an upgrade; the orange was rather garish. I just wonder what the NC State and Wake Forest fans have to say about the team emphasizing blue.

NC State fans are only vaguely aware that Charlotte even exists, let alone has a pro hoops team, and unless the blue is one of two very specific shades, they don't notice it.

:P

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I still say their "blue" looks more indigo/purplish, but maybe that's just me.

CharlotteBobcats_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

As someone else said prior, I believe their blue is a Seahawks blue rip off. Looks like a warmer blue or kind of purplish when paired against the orange.

It still boggles my mind that the NBA decided to go back into a region that just doesn't deserve a pro basketball team. They should have expanded into St.Louis/Kansas City or Oklahoma City instead of Charlotte. Its been how ever many years and they still are at or near the bottom of the list in attendance. The Hornets played in OKC after Katrina and just about sold out the place every night. Bad move on the NBA's part IMO.

The Hornets were at the top of the NBA in attendance for years, before things with Shinn turned sour, so there is good reason to believe that if the Bobcats showed even a remote level of competence, the fans would support the team. But everything Bob Johnson has done has been a shameless attempt at getting quick money instead of an attempt to build a competitive team, so it's not hard to see why fans wouldn't want to support his efforts.

I don't live too far from Charlotte. I have a good friend who works in the

Bobcats front office. He told me they're very much interested in dumping

their current logo(s). He doesn''t know what their timetable is, but that

they are considering various design firms. I'm not up on what design

firms are at the top, but he mentioned something about using regional

firms. I'm not sure what's in the south. Where is Joe Bosack Design

company located? There's one succesfull firm in Nashville and there's

that guy in Chattanooga who just did all those logos for the South Coast

League.

As someone else said prior, I believe their blue is a Seahawks blue rip off. Looks like a warmer blue or kind of purplish when paired against the orange.

It still boggles my mind that the NBA decided to go back into a region that just doesn't deserve a pro basketball team. They should have expanded into St.Louis/Kansas City or Oklahoma City instead of Charlotte. Its been how ever many years and they still are at or near the bottom of the list in attendance. The Hornets played in OKC after Katrina and just about sold out the place every night. Bad move on the NBA's part IMO.

Your history is a little off. Charlotte enjoyed sellout crowds and a rabid fanbase for many years until Shinn turned off the fanbase with his constant haranguing for a new arena at public expense, the inability to keep any stars in town, selling off any assets, and finally, his off-court improprieties.

The Charlotte market can and will support an NBA franchise. The problem is that Bob Johnson is not running an NBA-caliber operation, and the fanbase, rightfully so, can see crap when it's being served to them.

[The problem is that Bob Johnson is not running an NBA-caliber operation, and the fanbase, rightfully so, can see crap when it's being served to them.

Something is wrong with that entire family: Sheila Johnson has run the former WNBA Attendance Champions into the ground, too -- used to be they'd get 18, 19K a game. They don't get that now in a homestand.

Not exactly a rip-off; both the Bobcats and Seahawks use the same proprietary Reebok fabric color for their respective Blues. It's called "Pacific Blue".

The name Nuggets would work for Golden State better than Denver (Nuggets, Golden State, Gold Rush, etc...)...

Actually, it would work much better in Denver because of the gold rush. Mining for gold and other metals was so prominent there that they built a branch of the US mint in Denver.

But I sense the sarcasm and jest in your post, so I'll ASSUME that you knew that and were making a joke. BTW, the LA Bucks made me chuckle....but only if you made the logo really BIG...get it? Aw forget it.....

California is called The Golden State because of the gold rush here, in northern California. The Bay Area grew from small towns to one of the most important areas in the nation because of gold. There's a branch of the U.S. Mint in San Francisco. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Gold_Rush

Plus, the team is called GOLDEN STATE! GOLDen state NUGGETS, get it?

That being said, yes, the previous post was total sarcasm and a joke, as many of my posts are. But NorCal has just as much history, if not more, than Denver when it comes to Gold Rushes. The name would be just as appropriate for either team.

Not exactly a rip-off; both the Bobcats and Seahawks use the same proprietary Reebok fabric color for their respective Blues. It's called "Pacific Blue".

Well then the Seahawks use it much more effectively, because it matches poorly with orange.

Your history is a little off. Charlotte enjoyed sellout crowds and a rabid fanbase for many years until Shinn turned off the fanbase with his constant haranguing for a new arena at public expense, the inability to keep any stars in town, selling off any assets, and finally, his off-court improprieties.

The Charlotte market can and will support an NBA franchise. The problem is that Bob Johnson is not running an NBA-caliber operation, and the fanbase, rightfully so, can see crap when it's being served to them.

We can make the same argument in many markets. My point isn't that the Charlotte market CAN'T support an NBA market, its that there are other way more deserving markets that can support and NBA team equally if not BETTER than Charlotte. Bad owner or not, I just don't see why they should have a second chance before some of the other markets like St.Louis/Kansas City get a chance.

I remember the prior history of the Charlotte market very well actually. But truth be told the glory days of Kelly Tripuka or Larry Johnson are gone and they've been downright horrible in drawing fans the previous years. We can sit here till our fingers bleed typing back and forth about how great or how bad the market is or isn't, but the fact remains that their attendance is horrible and there is no real solution in the near future.

We can make the same argument in many markets. My point isn't that the Charlotte market CAN'T support an NBA market, its that there are other way more deserving markets that can support and NBA team equally if not BETTER than Charlotte. Bad owner or not, I just don't see why they should have a second chance before some of the other markets like St.Louis/Kansas City get a chance.

I remember the prior history of the Charlotte market very well actually. But truth be told the glory days of Kelly Tripuka or Larry Johnson are gone and they've been downright horrible in drawing fans the previous years. We can sit here till our fingers bleed typing back and forth about how great or how bad the market is or isn't, but the fact remains that their attendance is horrible and there is no real solution in the near future.

Charlotte has beaucoup corporate presence, certainly more than OKC or KC - that's why Kaiser Stern couldn't wait to get back into good graces with that town.

Archived