Charlotte Bobcats Set to Unveil Makeover

Brian in Boston

As bad as the Charlotte Bobcats' original logo happens to be, I don't find this new mark to be an improvement. I think that they're equally uninspired. In fact, if pressed, I might just say that the new logo is worse.

I found the original logo's major drawback to be that it was so damned bland. The new logo goes beyond simple blandness as a sin. The shading of the head is awkward. The incorporation of the basketball is handled so horribly as to be almost "ABA Toledo Ice" bad. Perhaps most damning is the fact that whoever is responsible for the new logo realized that it had to be near-perfect in order to make-up for the fiasco that is the original mark. Near-perfect doesn't begin to describe the second Bobcats logo.

In my honest opinion, the new logo is at least as bad as the original.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Complete and utter improvement. And to the poster that brought up similarities to the old t-wolves logo, good eye. You could do MUCH worse than to emulate that classic logo (that had far too short a life, one of the true travesties of modern sports logo history)

Right on the money! I wish the Wolves would have kept the original logo which was simply beautiful and classy...

The new 'Cats logo? I can dig it, for real :P

That old Wolves logo was awful.

That's what you think. And you, sir, are entitled to that opinion. To me, it will always be better than that cartoon logo they have now!

celticssig5.jpg

Purdy please, vote for me: http://nha.sportslogos.net/name_change/ Thanks in advance.

I can dig it, for real :P

Who the hell still talks like that? Oh crap, is it 1974 again?

Well, koizim... please forgive me for being so OLD school. I'm Danish. I don't "talk" that way. We're not having a real conversation, are we? We're discussing logos here...

So let's stick to discussing logos, not words or phrases. Btw, how do YOU rank the new Bobcats logo? Or the old Wolves logo vs the "cartoon" logo?

celticssig5.jpg

Purdy please, vote for me: http://nha.sportslogos.net/name_change/ Thanks in advance.

Let's all not get TOO excited...there's been nothing that implies that this "logo" is something that the Bobcats are changing to.

Like it has been said - this could be some sort of promotional thing...unofficial mark.

Let's all not get TOO excited...there's been nothing that implies that this "logo" is something that the Bobcats are changing to.

Like it has been said - this could be some sort of promotional thing...unofficial mark.

It's still a logo :wink2: But, of course, you're right...

celticssig5.jpg

I would think its appearance on both licensed merchandise and team correspondence would distinguish it as a little more than "unofficial."

But you're right - no indication that this is anything more than another secondary mark, without any context in which it may be used in the future.

Hmmm.....

Are you implying they're changing to something else. ^_^

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's what you think. And you, sir, are entitled to that opinion. To me, it will always be better than that cartoon logo they have now!

I will never understand how people can complain about "cartoon logos"... and then go crazy go nuts about logos that look like they belong in a 50s comic book rather than on a sports jersey. (I'm not sure the old T-Wolves logo is quite the latter, but it happens a lot around here.)

See also the calling of the current Brewers' look "generic" and "softball team," while praising the MB ball-in-glove and pinstripes with plain lettering as unique.

*shrug*

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Hmmm.....

Are you implying they're changing to something else. ^_^

I haven't heard ANYTHING about the Bobcats...other than what's in the article referenced in this thread.

I have no idea where that "secondary" logo came from, or if it's going to be used in the future.

Seems weird to have this random logo to pop up out of no where. Isn't it customary for teams to reveal all logos and fonts that the team will use as their identity all at one time? So where was this one?

If they are looking to make a change to the logo and/or unis then I would imagine that they would do it all at once and not a little here and a little there. I still think this logo is either a sham, or just a comp that never made the final style sheet that was resurrected for whatever reason.

Well, I think it's more of a promotional type thing than anything.

I dunno if many of you remember, but I believe I posted an image of a new Altanta Hawks secondary logo. It's basically the head from the primary logo, they use it quite a bit on their site. However, that logo is not in any official sheets.

I will never understand how people can complain about "cartoon logos"... and then go crazy go nuts about logos that look like they belong in a 50s comic book rather than on a sports jersey. (I'm not sure the old T-Wolves logo is quite the latter, but it happens a lot around here.)

See also the calling of the current Brewers' look "generic" and "softball team," while praising the MB ball-in-glove and pinstripes with plain lettering as unique.

*shrug*

I just saw that you're from Minny, so if you like the "cartoon" logo, fine. It's "your" team ;)

"My" team is the Celtics and come to think of it......their logo is quite cartoonish! Ooops. Guess I'm guilty of double standards there :blink: I still think, though, that the Celtics logo is one of THE best logos in sports... I guess I have a weird taste -I like the NYI "Fishstick" logo too :blush:

celticssig5.jpg

I guess "cartoon" logo is really a bad choice of words on my part. A lot of teams have "cartoon" logos! And I have no problem with that per se. Could someone please help me coin a better term? :blink: Btw, Mockba, I've always loved your avatar. Scottish ancestry or just a bit of fun?

celticssig5.jpg

This morning's Charlotte Observer confirmed much of what has been said here. The new logo we're seeing is in fact the official secondary logo (it's being used now in local advertising) and the team is planning a gradual switch to blue as the primary color instead of orange. Also, the story mentioned that the team plans on changing the letter and number font to something a little more traditional. They mentioned the new court design would be "more traditional" which kind of contradicts what we've seen, however. I guess it depends on what you call traditional.

I don't mind the side view logo. I'll say that this is a bit better. As a Wolves fan, I am a bit disappointed, though. I have been secretely hoping a modernizatiion of the original could be used. I think it could be pretty sharp. This diminishes that likelyhood.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived