Quad City Name-the-Team Finalists

Brian in Boston

Quad City Channel Cats

Quad City Current

Quad City River Bandits

Quad City River Eagles

Quad City Talons

Swing of the Quad Cities

Personally, I think that it's a pretty uninspired list. Further, I have to believe that the new ownership group narrowing the list down to these six finalists sets it up as a fait accompli that the River Bandits identity will be brought back. On a side note, I - for one - have never understood the "love affair" with the River Bandits' old ball-and-bandana logo.

I'd rank the finalists as follows:

1) Swing of the Quad Cities (or Quad City Swing)

2) Quad City Channel Cats

3) Quad City Current

All of which I consider to be considerably better than any of these remaining three finalists:

4) Quad City River Bandits

5) Quad City Talons

6) Quad City River Eagles

They never should have changed from River Bandits in the first place. Sure, the logo could have used updating, but it was swapped out for something completely ridiculous.

But now, though? QUIT CHANGING AND PICK ONE TO STICK WITH ALREADY. SHEESH.

And... Channel Cats? Current? YCBS*, Brian.

(* You Can't Be Serious)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

They never should have changed from River Bandits in the first place. Sure, the logo could have used updating, but it was swapped out for something completely ridiculous.

But now, though? QUIT CHANGING AND PICK ONE TO STICK WITH ALREADY. SHEESH.

And... Channel Cats? Current? YCBS*, Brian.

(* You Can't Be Serious)

I agree completely.

OFF TOPIC -- My first business trip that involved boarding a plane was to -- of all places -- Davenport, Iowa. So, for some strange reason, I feel like I have a dog in this fight even though I spent all of about 28 hours in the Quad Cities (or Quad City or whatever the he!! it is).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Count me as someone who wants them to revert to the River Bandits. I don't care if you like the Swing identity or its colors (which really don't work.) You don't have to hear local PA guys in the stadium refer to them as the Quad City Swings. :wacko:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Personally, I think that it's a pretty uninspired list. Further, I have to believe that the new ownership group narrowing the list down to these six finalists sets it up as a fait accompli that the River Bandits identity will be brought back. On a side note, I - for one - have never understood the "love affair" with the River Bandits' old ball-and-bandana logo.

Aside from the current name, that is a terrible list. What, is it 1995 again?

Quad City Current: The perfect name for a weekly coupon flyer. Quite possibly the worst baseball team name I have ever heard proposed for a professional team. Ever. If the ABA had a women's league, and that women's league had its own minor-league affiliates, one of them would be named the Quad City Current.

Quad City Talons: Why? Are there, like, a lot of deadly hawks in the air above the Quad Cities? This sounds like a new high school principal's solution to wanting to be the eagles in a conference where all the other schools are already named eagles or hawks.

Channel Cats: You know what you call a cat in the navigable channel of the Mississippi River? Drowning. What on earth is this name supposed to mean? Is there such a thing as a channel cat that does not involve the smell of decomposition, a lot of flies, and the least pleasant call of the day for the local Animal Control officer?

The other two names are just forgettable genericities with the word "River" thrown in. If the ownership wants to go this retrograde route and adopt an inane mid-1990s identity, it should stop insulting everybody and just bring back River Bandits. Better the halfassed team name you already had than an uninspired ripoff of it. But there really ought to be an MLB executive whose sole job consists of identifying affiliated team owners who are contemplating adding meaningless geographic adjectives to their team names, traveling to their offices, and slapping them upside the head until they agree to find a real team name.

20082614447.png

Channel Cats: You know what you call a cat in the navigable channel of the Mississippi River? Drowning. What on earth is this name supposed to mean? Is there such a thing as a channel cat that does not involve the smell of decomposition, a lot of flies, and the least pleasant call of the day for the local Animal Control officer?

i'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but a channel cat is a type of catfish...

jldesigns404eo.png

The media partners that are collecting votes are not revealing vote totals online (although local TV station KWQC kindly asks you to "remember to vote only once"), but the Swing's official site claims its poll is a factor and it's a two horse race:

Quad City River Bandits 43.3%

Quad City Channel Cats 36.1%

Swing of the Quad Cities 9.2%

Quad City River Eagles 4.8%

Quad City Current 4.1%

Quad City Talons 2.5%

I was glad to see Swing as a finalist and would be fine if that remained the name. Looks like the fans are calling for change, though. Reverting back to River Bandits doesn't bother me, but I understand why it does some people. I prefer simple logos, though, and the ball and bandana certainly found some mainstream popularity. The name says '90s, but the logo was fine with me.

And BallWonk, it might have been a joke that went over my head, but the cat that "Channel Cats" is referring to is a catfish. I'm OK with that if they want to go with something entirely new, but I'm not sure how you top the Carolina Mudcats logo, so why try? The other options aren't worth mentioning. I prefer their previous name or the current name (that's Swing, not "Current" -- yikes) to anything new on the list.

Quad City Garvins.

That is all.

Who wants to clean this up a little bit so they have a suitable logo?

78ofredgarvin3.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Quad City Garvins.

That is all.

Who wants to clean this up a little bit so they have a suitable logo?

78ofredgarvin3.jpg

"Ladies and gentlemen, the team mascot will now strike a series of seductive poses. He calls this one, "The Snake."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Speaking of the Angels, I think they should go back to being the Quad City Angels, but I'm old school.

Hell, Clinton should go back to being the Pilots.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I was going to call that lame, until I saw that you included Point Roberts. Nice.

Technically, it's still lame.

And no, I haven't been to Point Roberts. Yet.

Just having fun with the name and didn't want to mimic the Long Beach Armada too much.

Archived