Quad City Name-the-Team Finalists

Brian in Boston

River Eagles does sound dumb. But, c'mon, "Current"? UGH.

I'd probably like Channel Cats more if it hadn't been done before.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Anyone with a shred of common sense knows that the name has already been picked, and dare I say, the logo has been designed....

Yes... it's an update of the classic River Bandits logo that depicted a baseball wearing a thong... I mean, a cloth diaper... oh, right... a bandana.

Heeeeeeeeeey... I get it now! That baseball was hiding it's identity behind that bandana... because it a was a bandit baseball! How clever!!! Maybe the powers-that-be have gone all-out and commissioned a new logo that features the bandana-bedecked baseball atop a depiction of flowing water. Get it? A River Bandit baseball! I sure hope the new logo is rendered as well as the old one was. Talk about a work of art.

;)

Seriously... the River Bandits' old logo was one of the biggest pieces of fecal matter to be foisted upon the minor-league baseball-loving public. Clip-Art would have been an improvement on that thing.

Anyone with a shred of common sense knows that the name has already been picked, and dare I say, the logo has been designed....

Yes... it's an update of the classic River Bandits logo that depicted a baseball wearing a thong... I mean, a cloth diaper... oh, right... a bandana.

Heeeeeeeeeey... I get it now! That baseball was hiding it's identity behind that bandana... because it a was a bandit baseball! How clever!!! Maybe the powers-that-be have gone all-out and commissioned a new logo that features the bandana-bedecked baseball atop a depiction of flowing water. Get it? A River Bandit baseball! I sure hope the new logo is rendered as well as the old one was. Talk about a work of art.

;)

Seriously... the River Bandits' old logo was one of the biggest pieces of fecal matter to be foisted upon the minor-league baseball-loving public. Clip-Art would have been an improvement on that thing.

Wow... so you really hate that logo, huh? There are plenty of minor league logos I like better, but compared to some of the overdone stuff out there and the minor league hockey stuff that's just terrible, I didn't think it was as bad as you make it out to be. But, you're entitled to your strong opinion.

Not only does affiliated Minor League Baseball already have the Carolina Mudcats, but it also has the Columbus Catfish.

Also, there was a minor league hockey team in Huntsville named the Channel Cats.

When creating a brand, you at least want to be somewhat unique. Not only is the catfish theme already covered (twice) in Minor League Baseball, but the Channel Cats name is not even unique to minor league sports.

You can't blame those responding to the poll for the fact that that name is right up there with the leaders, but by

including a name like Channel Cats, the team ownership is sending the message that they are either unaware of what is going on in their own segment of the industry (Minor League Baseball, that is), or that they just don't care.

To paraphrase Rodney King: "Can't we all just get a fresh identity?"

Channel Cats: You know what you call a cat in the navigable channel of the Mississippi River? Drowning. What on earth is this name supposed to mean? Is there such a thing as a channel cat that does not involve the smell of decomposition, a lot of flies, and the least pleasant call of the day for the local Animal Control officer?

i'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but a channel cat is a type of catfish...

Huh. Catfish. I did not know that. Which doesn't speak terribly well to the name, since I kind of grew up in Eastern Iowa as a young boy and even fished in the Cedar and Iowa Rivers from time to time and went to Davenport for the Bix festival every year and still go back most years for a week or two but the first time I ever heard about catfish was after we moved to Philly. Maybe they're a lot more Southern on the Illinois side, but on the Iowa side I just don't see a catfish reference speaking to anyone's sense of local identity. But that's just my impression; perhaps the Quad Cities really are the catfish capital of the upper Midwest and it's a brilliant team name.

So I now hereby re-aim my sarcasm and demand that if the team adopts "River Bandits" they make the logo a drowned raccoon.

20082614447.png

Ok, I live in the Quads, so I do have a horse in this race (after Vick I can't say dog in this fight)

1. River Bandits: Not just a generic name with River in front of it. River bandits (like pirates, but on a river) were a real

part of the area's history. Col. Davenport, for whom the city is named, was killed in a raid by river bandits so it

resonates locally. If they could improve the logo this would be an easy win for me.

2. Channel Cats: Makes sense with the catfish theme, but with other teams with Catfish motifs, including a different

city with Channel Cats, this should be eliminated from the list.

3. Swing: I would be fine if it were the Quad City Swing, but I hated the Swing of the Quad Cities. Also loved the logo

but hated the colors and uniforms.

4. River Eagles and Talons: Clearly referencing the fact that during the winter, when the local dam and bridges create

small areas of open water on the frozen river, we get bald eagles camping out all along the riverbanks. Really an

impressive site and somewhat emblematic of the area, but the names stink.

5. Current: Lame singular name. Really hoping they don't go for this one.

My suggestions would have been:

1. Quad City Colonels, after Col. Davenport...problem is we already have the Cedar Rapids Kernels.

2. Quad City Cards-- A cardinals tie in, but could also play into the local river boat gambling.

3. Quad City Caucuses-- Iowa caucus reference, but admitedly a lame idea. Maybe Candidates, Carpetbaggers, etc.

4. Quad City Crullers-- Tap into some of that Montgomery Biscuits merchandising gold.

4. River Eagles and Talons: Clearly referencing the fact that during the winter, when the local dam and bridges create small areas of open water on the frozen river, we get bald eagles camping out all along the riverbanks. Really an impressive site and somewhat emblematic of the area, but the names stink.

My suggestions would have been:

1. Quad City Colonels, after Col. Davenport...problem is we already have the Cedar Rapids Kernels.

2. Quad City Cards-- A cardinals tie in, but could also play into the local river boat gambling.

3. Quad City Caucuses-- Iowa caucus reference, but admitedly a lame idea. Maybe Candidates, Carpetbaggers, etc.

4. Quad City Crullers-- Tap into some of that Montgomery Biscuits merchandising gold.

The Eagles/Talons thing is still weak. Yeah, the Quad Cities have bald eagles. So does every other community on the entire Mississippi north of St. Louis. Among the many things that make the Quad Cities special, eagles on the river ain't one of them, beautiful though the sight may be.

But I love your suggestions, especially the Cards. That right there is a brilliant name, whether the team is affiliated with St. Louis or not. Shame that didn't make the cut. As it were.

And I'm with you that if the River Bandits name were used in some way to refer to the historical phenomenon, it could be a great name. It's all in the execution, and just throwing a bandana on a baseball makes it a generic and crappy team name.

20082614447.png

The Swing of Quad Cities of Iowa and Illinois located in the Great Plains of the United States of America of North America in the Western Hemisphere including Point Roberts, Washington.

:P

Fixed it for you. :P

Thanks, didn't know which other state to throw in there.

I think you all know where I stand on this. See pic on left.

I knew someone had that avatar. I'm with ya. I like it. (But then again, my avatar is a simply drawn "Cub," so I guess my taste might be questionable.)

And BallWonk, the River Bandits' old mascot was a raccoon. They even kept him around as a secondary Swing mascot. Saw him at a game this year, so rumors of his drowning are greatly exaggerated.

Wide Right, I like the suggestions. You should have thrown them in the ring.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update of the voting totals (which influence, but don't decide the name) now that the QC Times is listing their results, too:

QC Swing site:

Quad City River Bandits 37.7%

Quad City Channel Cats 25.4%

Quad City Talons 21.4%

Swing of the Quad Cities 6.8%

Quad City Current 6.0%

Quad City River Eagles 2.7%

qctimes.com:

Current Results

44% Channel Cats

41% River Bandits

7% Swing of the Quad Cities

4% River Eagles

3% Current

1% Talons

The other media partner, KWQC-TV, does not list the percentages after a vote.

Voting ends Sept. 30.

Archived