Super bowl field art

DRutka

the playing field at Relient Stadium is FieldTurf, correct?

so is this the 1st SB ever played on FieldTurf? if it is, im sure it wont be the last...it seems to be taking over the league's stadiums these days

Its a newly installed surface too.

The Super Bowl usually replaced the grass field a few weeks before the game every year, under the direction of the sod god George Toma, who is grounds crew in Kansas City and a consulant to just about everyone every where he even came in to help out the Newark Bears a few years ago.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The field looks good. very nice graphic puckguy. I'd like to give painting a field a try sometime, but I'd probuly end up like theat commercial from a few years ago where the painter misspells 'Chiefs'. :(

well, a guy can dream

Who doesn't love that commercial?

Not goin anywhere for a while?...grab a Snickers...

Or was it...Wanna get away?...Southwest Airlines...

Oh and Ramirez dude I'd appreciate it if you didn't use "omfg" in the future, it's a little offensive, being Catholic.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't being up religion. Being agnostic, it offends my delicate sensibilities. :P

Lighten up, man. If you can't handle people that don't quite live up to your strict moral standards, go live in a plastic bubble with a bowl of communion hosts.

He didn't seem tense... he just politely asked someone to refrain from using language that he finds offensive based upon his religious beliefs. It's not exactly 'strict moral standards'... more like common courtesy. (I know I'm gonna hear it from you guys for this, but I had to agree with Chazberg, 'cept for the Catholic part... I'm Protestant.)

I found it amusing that you included the screw up Puckguy... I like the NFL shield at midfield. Makes it look a little more prestigious... nice job, especially with the turf texture throughout.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Oh and Ramirez dude I'd appreciate it if you didn't use "omfg" in the future, it's a little offensive, being Catholic.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't being up religion. Being agnostic, it offends my delicate sensibilities. :P

Lighten up, man. If you can't handle people that don't quite live up to your strict moral standards, go live in a plastic bubble with a bowl of communion hosts.

He didn't seem tense... he just politely asked someone to refrain from using language that he finds offensive based upon his religious beliefs. It's not exactly 'strict moral standards'... more like common courtesy. (I know I'm gonna hear it from you guys for this, but I had to agree with Chazberg, 'cept for the Catholic part... I'm Protestant.)

I found it amusing that you included the screw up Puckguy... I like the NFL shield at midfield. Makes it look a little more prestigious... nice job, especially with the turf texture throughout.

Common courtesy, IMO, is not calling people out on something based entirely on one's religious beliefs. I don't think it would be a stretch to compare it to a Muslim saying, "Guys, as a Muslim, I find it offensive when you post about eating pork chops. Please leave talk of bacon-bits and ham sandwiches out of my earshot." I think a lot of people would find a post like that to be ridiculous and would certainly say so.

It's not like the guy attacked anyone's religion or was out to offend someone. He simply implied an expression that most people really wouldn't think twice about. I think it's a little over-reactive and holier-than-thou to expect people to conform to something as subjective as your religious beliefs. That's all. :)

And to bring this back on subject, good job, Puckguy. Looks extremely accurate. :) It's conveinient that the Pat's wordmark is narrow enough to accomodate the wider conference logo.

The Super Bowl usually replaced the grass field a few weeks before the game every year, under the direction of the sod god George Toma, who is grounds crew in Kansas City and a consulant to just about everyone every where he even came in to help out the Newark Bears a few years ago.

You are correct.  The normal playing surface at Reliant is natural grass.  The surface is put together like a puzzle using 8' x 8' trays containing the sod and grass.

The NFL did not use this surface and brought in their own grass from Arizona in 35 refreigerated semi trucks.  toma and his all-star crew started putting it in two weeks ago.  This surface will immediately be taken out after the game as the Houston Rodeo will start setting up for a March 1st opening.  That's some expensive grass for only one game.

Common courtesy, IMO, is not calling people out on something based entirely on one's religious beliefs. I don't think it would be a stretch to compare it to a Muslim saying, "Guys, as a Muslim, I find it offensive when you post about eating pork chops. Please leave talk of bacon-bits and ham sandwiches out of my earshot." I think a lot of people would find a post like that to be ridiculous and would certainly say so.

It's not like the guy attacked anyone's religion or was out to offend someone. He simply implied an expression that most people really wouldn't think twice about. I think it's a little over-reactive and holier-than-thou to expect people to conform to something as subjective as your religious beliefs. That's all. :)

And to bring this back on subject, good job, Puckguy. Looks extremely accurate. :) It's conveinient that the Pat's wordmark is narrow enough to accomodate the wider conference logo.

I don't see how it would be any more offensive to someone who is Catholic than any other religions. It's not like he said "oh my quivering pontiff" or something.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

You are correct. The normal playing surface at Reliant is natural grass. The surface is put together like a puzzle using 8' x 8' trays containing the sod and grass.

The NFL did not use this surface and brought in their own grass from Arizona in 35 refreigerated semi trucks. toma and his all-star crew started putting it in two weeks ago. This surface will immediately be taken out after the game as the Houston Rodeo will start setting up for a March 1st opening. That's some expensive grass for only one game.

Doesn't the NFL cut up the turf and give it to various United Way agencies to auction?  I believe that has happened in the past.

That may be possible, since every time they hold a Super Bowl its not a new surface. I even thing they roll in new astroturf when it was in the Super Dome, or the Georgia Dome

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived