Orioles Negro League Celebration

leopard88

From the Orioles website --

1932 Baltimore Black Sox Celebration

On September 6, the Orioles will celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Baltimore Black Sox' 1932 championship season. Playing in the East West League, the Black Sox were in first place with a 20-9 record when the league was disbanded in June. The Sox were credited with a championship but never received the proper recognition.

Turn Back the Clock Night

Current Orioles players and coaches will wear 1932 Baltimore Black Sox replica uniforms for the game, and the team, which included standout players Laymon Yokely and Crush Holloway, will be honored in a pre-game ceremony.

There was a picture of the jersey in an ad in this morning's paper, but I didn't see one on the website.

The cynic in me thinks management is trying to convince the players they are playing for a different team in hopes of turning things around. Otherwise, if they keep playing the way they have, it will look as if actual surviving members of the 1932 Black Sox have suited up.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Jersey pic from the website --

img5545797med.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Jersey pic from the website --

img5545797med.jpg

I think the BS on the sleeve just about sums up the ownership, and most of the last 10 years.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I think the BS on the sleeve just about sums up the ownership, and most of the last 10 years.

I chose to avoid making an editorial comment, but it's hard to disagree with you.

EDIT --

The scheduling of this promotion is an odd reminder of how tone deaf the Orioles have been in marketing recently. They are honoring the 1932 Baltimore Black Sox, yet they somehow failed to find any time during the 2006 season to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the World Series victory by the 1966 Baltimore Orioles. I just hope they manage to squeeze in some mention of the 25th anniversary of the 1983 World Series win next season.

The hats the O's were wearing were brown and orange and didn't match the black lettering and black socks.

I think that is how the hats are supposed to look (though I agree that means they don't match the rest of the uniform very well). Kurt Schmoke used to wear a Black Sox hat when he was mayor and it also looked dark brown to me. The difference is just more apparent when the hat is worn with a uniform with a lot of black.

Overall, I thought the uniforms were well done, with the exception of the New Era logo. I like that all of the players wore them correctly -- baggy and with the pants hiked up.

They did and they looked really sharp.

I wouldn't mind a uni redesign with elements of the Black Sox uni.

The pinstripes looked good, the baggy fit looked good, the high black socks looked good, and the Orioles finally wore a hat with a "B" on them!

Also, teams typically wear their normal helmets when they do the turn-back-the-clock promotions, but the Orioles wore Black Sox logos on theirs.

Classy stuff, I have to say. Very well done, overall.

They did and they looked really sharp.

I wouldn't mind a uni redesign with elements of the Black Sox uni.

The pinstripes looked good, the baggy fit looked good, the high black socks looked good, and the Orioles finally wore a hat with a "B" on them!

Also, teams typically wear their normal helmets when they do the turn-back-the-clock promotions, but the Orioles wore Black Sox logos on theirs.

Classy stuff, I have to say. Very well done, overall.

I love posts that I can 100% disagree with, with no qualifications!

I hated those uniforms, and any Orioles redesign that included that look would really make me mad! :cursing:

I've seen alot of people around here wear the Black Sox hat and never knew what it was. That's cool that I finally found out.

The uniforms were cool. It was kinda weird that the hat didn't match the uniforms. But I think that's the way it actually was so its not a huge deal. I also liked that the players wore the uniforms as they would have in 1932 (baggy). It'd be cool if there was a "Negro League Day" (maybe Jackie Robinson Day?) where every team would wear Negro League throwbacks.

Archived