The Patriots are cheaters!

buzzcut

Any evidence that they were stealing signs from the Eagles in Super Bowl 39? Philadelphia will take a title on a technicality!
Super Bowl XXXVI*

Thats all I have to say.

Only adding the quote of myself to put everything together, and call for a Panther fan to come out and be upset about THEIR Super Bowl loss to the hands of the Patriots.

Anyone?

.... ummm... they tried to cheat, but unfortunately the WRONG players cheated.... c'mon the PUNTER?

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quote by Mike Shanahan, head coach of the Denver Broncos, in January 2002, in Sports Illustrated (Article):

"Our guy keeps a pair of binoculars on their signal-callers every game," says Broncos coach Mike Shanahan. "With any luck, we have their defensive signals figured out by halftime. Sometimes, by the end of the first quarter."

Someone want to explain why the Patriots' actions are a bigger deal than the Broncos' actions?

A quote by Mike Shanahan, head coach of the Denver Broncos, in January 2002, in Sports Illustrated (Article):

"Our guy keeps a pair of binoculars on their signal-callers every game," says Broncos coach Mike Shanahan. "With any luck, we have their defensive signals figured out by halftime. Sometimes, by the end of the first quarter."

Someone want to explain why the Patriots' actions are a bigger deal than the Broncos' actions?

There is no rule against watching somone with binoculars, there is one against using recording devices on the sidelines and coaches box.

There was some discussion about removing signals completely, using speakers inside a certain player's helmet instead. If they can get that to work properly, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

There was some discussion about removing signals completely, using speakers inside a certain player's helmet instead. If they can get that to work properly, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

... until Belichick has a person with a press pass armed with a radio scanner and a microphone piped up to the Offencive Coordinator's box, that is.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

There is no rule against watching somone with binoculars, there is one against using recording devices on the sidelines and coaches box.

Doesn't it do the exact same thing though?

No, because the footage can/will be recorded and analyzed at a later date for gameplanning purposes. That's the stickler here.

BTW, want to see cheating in action?

pats-camera.jpg

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

No, because the footage can/will be recorded and analyzed at a later date for gameplanning purposes. That's the stickler here.

BTW, want to see cheating in action?

pats-camera.jpg

I like how they put the guy in a green shirt so he would fit in a little better on the Jets sideline.

There's absolutely no purpose to that though, since teams change their defensive signals several times during a game, let alone a season. The logic is flawed.

There's absolutely no purpose to that though, since teams change their defensive signals several times during a game, let alone a season.

Well, you need to take that up with Belichick. He's the one that's doing it. But since he's an Infallible Geenus [sic] there's obviously a reason behind it to benefit the Patriots, ja?

There's absolutely no purpose to that though, since teams change their defensive signals several times during a game, let alone a season. The logic is flawed.

I'm less sure than you, and even if they change, there probably is a certain base pattern to them (so players can remember them). Videotaping allows you to pick up on that fundamental base pattern so you can pick up variations.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm less sure than you, and even if they change, there probably is a certain base pattern to them (so players can remember them). Videotaping allows you to pick up on that fundamental base pattern so you can pick up variations.

I was about to type that... <_<

Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) in the military teaches that the ability to successfully mask friendly analog communication patterns is directly related to the complexity of said patterns*. Simply put, the more complex your analog (in our case, hand signals) communications are, the less you are able to mask them because the folks receiving them will not be able to decode the information in time for it to be useful. So, you can create all sorts of masking patterns for your hand signals, but if the players can't understand them, then the signals are useless. As a result, you have to simplify your patterns so the players can understand them in realtime.

*Of course, when you go digital, you're only limited by a processor's computing power. But that won't be an issue until the NFL brings in frequency-skipping headsets. ;)

Dr. Z at si.com about it: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

...At one point we had a good drive going against the Patriots," said one Lion who doesn't want his name involved in this mess, but was willing to talk about it. "Mike Martz really had 'em going. They were getting fouled up, lining up wrong, we were moving the ball. Then boom, the headset from the sidelines to the coaches' booth goes out.

"Next possession we were moving the ball again and the same thing happened. You know it only takes two or three plays to mess up a drive."

Matt Millen, the Lions' GM, was talking to Bengals' coach Marvin Lewis at the league meetings. He started telling him the story.

"Yeah, I know," Lewis said. "Headset went out. It happened to me in Foxboro, too."

Marinelli was the defensive line coach in Tampa Bay when the Bucs beat the Patriots in the 2000 regular season opener and did a good job controlling New England's offense. After the game the Patriots' offensive coach, Charlie Weis, was overheard congratulating the Bucs' defensive coordinator, Monte Kiffin.

"We knew all your calls, and you still stopped us," Weis said. "I can't believe it."

He couldn't believe it because the Patriots had videotaped all of the defensive signals in their last preseason game, which was against the Bucs...

Something is rotten in Foxboro.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If I was a Patriots fan, I'd have a hard time deciding what embarrasses me more, the conduct of my favorite team, or the extraordinary lengths my fellow fans are going to defend or rationalize it.

Thankfully, I'm a Jets fan (might be the first time I've ever said that) and the only thing that embarrasses me is their secondary.

If I was a Patriots fan, I'd have a hard time deciding what embarrasses me more, the conduct of my favorite team, or the extraordinary lengths my fellow fans are going to defend or rationalize it.

Thankfully, I'm a Jets fan (might be the first time I've ever said that) and the only thing that embarrasses me is their secondary.

"Thankfully"

I don't think anyone (at least on this board) is trying to rationalize it, I think they're just trying to say that the media is making this way too big of a deal. Of course it it is a big deal, and the Patriots should be punished accordingly, but this media crap is getting way out of hand.

EDIT - By the way, that picture of the guy on the Jets sideline holding the camera isn't the guy that got in trouble. That photo has been debunked. I'll try to find the report that debunks it.

"Thankfully"

I don't think anyone (at least on this board) is trying to rationalize it, I think they're just trying to say that the media is making this way too big of a deal. Of course it it is a big deal, and the Patriots should be punished accordingly, but this media crap is getting way out of hand.

I agree. None of us Pats fans are supporting the conduct of the team. If they did what they're accused of, it's wrong. However, it's being blown WAY out of proportion. People need to read up on this, listen to interviews, and listen to this situation in comparison with past issues in the NFL. If you do that, I guarantee you won't be dubbing them "huge cheaters" and whatever other monikers you'd like to throw at them.

"Thankfully"

I know.

The spell checker recommended "regretfully" or "for some godforsaken reason" instead.

EDIT - By the way, that picture of the guy on the Jets sideline holding the camera isn't the guy that got in trouble. That photo has been debunked. I'll try to find the report that debunks it.

I prefer this one, really.

poster.jpg

"Thankfully"

The whole "everyone/someone else does it" and "it doesn't really help them that much" spiel smacks of rationalization. I don't want to sound like anyone's mother, but the fact that other people do it doesn't make it acceptable, and it doesn't make the fact that the Patriots do it any less despicable.

And I think the outraged masses, in this case, are not as upset with any specific advantages the Pats might get, but the sentiment behind these actions. I don't think "it didn't really provide them with that much of an edge" addresses the core of the disquiet this issue has stirred. Just like when scientists debunked the effectiveness of corked bats when Sammy Sosa was caught, it was still the perceived intent behind corking the bat that had people steamed. If anything, it makes it worse, that a team like the Patriots would resort to such petty cheating to gain such a supposedly minuscule advantage.

Of course, I'm just the jealous homer fan of a rival AFC East team, my opinion is diminished. :rolleyes:

Archived