Special unis for LSU-Tulane game?

Nomad

Does any college team in a NFL city draw well?

Just an example: the Miami Hurricanes.

Hurricanes are a crappy draw. They hardly ever fill up their stadium.

Jerious(Norwood)ly?

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jerious(Norwood)ly?

uh, yeah, I was agreeing with you. Good work .

EDIT: Just realized that you thought I was agreeing with ltp, when in fact I was (incorrectly) disagreeing with him.

Then I expressed my shock by invoking the name of Jerious Norwood.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Jerious(Norwood)ly?

uh, yeah, I was agreeing with you. Good work .

The Hurricanes have only sold out the Orange Bowl 4 times in the last 6 years. Only sold out once during their national championship year. I'd say they're a pretty crappy draw.

So is the question which college teams draw well in an NFL city?

or which ones draw well in an NFL stadium?

I think the Pitt Panthers draw decent in Heinz field as do the USF Bulls in Raymond James.

and for the teams in NFL cities?

Georgia Tech

Penn Quakers

Boston College

Cincinnati

Washington Huskies

So is the question which college teams draw well in an NFL city?

or which ones draw well in an NFL stadium?

I think the Pitt Panthers draw decent in Heinz field as do the USF Bulls in Raymond James.

and for the teams in NFL cities?

Georgia Tech

Penn Quakers

Boston College

Cincinnati

Washington Huskies

Another school that seems to do okay in an NFL city is Arizona State (okay Tempe and Glendale are different suburbs, but close enough). On the other hand, the Minnesota Gophers and the San Diego State Aztecs rarely sell out.

And then there are the schools in the former NFL city Los Angeles--UCLA and USC. USC does okay now that they're a perennial national championship contender, but when the Bruins and Trojans just okay, they draw a lot less. In 2000, UCLA and USC averaged 67,000 and 57,000 respectively--only good enough for 21 and 27 in the nation.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Four other schools are TCU/SMU (Tarrant and DallasCounties, TX) San Diego State and Cal, if you want to say the same county (Alameda). Regardless, they are different economies of scale. You can get season tickets to these NCAA teams for 35% (or less) of the cost of an NFL season ticket. TCU has had one sellout since 1984, that was Texas Tech last season. they haven't sold out the Fort Worth Bowl when they played in it. SMU has sellouts, but the stadium seats about 33,000.

I don't think any of them reguarly sell out their stadiums, but none of the Pac 10 teams with nearby NFL teams (Washington, Cal, Stanford, Arizona State) seem to have trouble drawing. And last I checked, the Golden Gophers are usually good for at least 50,000.

I don't think any of them reguarly sell out their stadiums, but none of the Pac 10 teams with nearby NFL teams (Washington, Cal, Stanford, Arizona State) seem to have trouble drawing. And last I checked, the Golden Gophers are usually good for at least 50,000.

Didnt Stanford reduce the size of their stadium recently? Washington, Cal, ASU and Minny are all large State U's so they have alot more students and alumni to draw from while schools like Tulane, Miami, BC, and TCU are private schools with much smaller alumni and student bases.

Pitt and Cincy get decent numbers considering the size of the schools and metro area's they are located in.

Whats with the patch logo? is that something nike is pushing or is it an official lsu mark, or an official lsu-tulane mark? or are they just trying to take the university seal and take it to an XTREME!!!

it reminds me of those "secret soccer tournament" nike logos for some reason.

My guess is that it's a phoenix...because New Orleans is "rising from the ashes" of Katrina. I'd guess that Tulane will have a similar logo on their jerseys if they go with special ones as well.

EDIT: Oh, look, read the article and it tells you!

Worn by both teams, the uniforms will feature a special pelican emblem designed by Nike. The Pelican emblem is a tribute to the state bird and stylistically resembles the Phoenix, a symbol of the City’s rebirth. The emblem will be one of several new additions to Nike’s LSU and Tulane products, which will be on sale at the game and in select retail locations throughout the US. Proceeds from the sale of this product will go towards Nike’s Let Me Play New Orleans fund to help rebuild New Orleans through Sport.

Whats with the patch logo? is that something nike is pushing or is it an official lsu mark, or an official lsu-tulane mark? or are they just trying to take the university seal and take it to an XTREME!!!

it reminds me of those "secret soccer tournament" nike logos for some reason.

My guess is that it's a phoenix...because New Orleans is "rising from the ashes" of Katrina. I'd guess that Tulane will have a similar logo on their jerseys if they go with special ones as well.

EDIT: Oh, look, read the article and it tells you!

Worn by both teams, the uniforms will feature a special pelican emblem designed by Nike. The Pelican emblem is a tribute to the state bird and stylistically resembles the Phoenix, a symbol of the City?s rebirth. The emblem will be one of several new additions to Nike?s LSU and Tulane products, which will be on sale at the game and in select retail locations throughout the US. Proceeds from the sale of this product will go towards Nike?s Let Me Play New Orleans fund to help rebuild New Orleans through Sport.

who knew reading could get you so far, I dont know how Tulane can wear them though, I mean the whole phoenix and pelican thing is great but thats just a stylized lsu seal

LSU_Seal.JPG

I hope they're making some moneys.

14ilxq9.png

Tulane is a private university with a heavy emphasis on academics (much like Rice, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke) and has struggled in football for most of the last 50 years or more (don't have time to do the exact research). They considered cutting football a few years ago. Tulane is sort of in the same boat as Vandy, which focuses on academics, has higher admissions standards for athletes than the average school and is overshadowed by a public school with a bigger athletic budget (Tennessee).

Comparing Tulane to those schools is a stretch to say the least. Rice, Vanderbilt, Northwestern and Duke are top 15 schools. U.S. News has Tulane ranked behind schools like Syracuse, Florida, Penn State, Texas, Washington, Illinois, Wisconsin, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, USC, North Carolina, Michigan, UCLA, Virginia, Cal and Notre Dame. Those schools don't have trouble recruiting enough to compete on a national level.

Tulane's problem is lack of money. They have a terrible endowment because of a large out of state student body and alumni base. Football carries almost all athletic budgets, but Tulane sees nothing because they play off campus in an oversized indoor arena not condusive to college football/tailgating/etc. As a result, Tulane has horrible fan support and basically no major donors.

eyecopy1tn.jpg

Much of that is true. But consider what leaving the SEC and not having an on campus stadium has done. Many students do not make an effort to go to the game....they leave without any passion for the team,and never become donors....when older donors die out there is no one to replace them. That is why Tulane has struggld in fooball. couple that wth an elitist yankee administration that is the roadmap for failure....Geaux Tigers....go Tulane....except against LSU

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

Archived