Oden....OUT

buzzcut

Bad news for the Portland JailBlazers($1)

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Oden likely out for rookie season after knee surgery

ESPN.com news services

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Celebrated Trail Blazers rookie center Greg Oden, the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, will likely miss the 2007-2008 season after undergoing knee surgery Thursday, the team said.

"Greg had an arthroscopy and a microfracture surgery today," team physician Dr. Don Roberts, who performed the surgery, said in a statement posted on the Trail Blazers' Web site. "He was found to have articular cartilage damage in his right knee. The area of injury was not large and we were able to treat it with microfracture, which stimulates the growth of cartilage.

"There are things about this that are positive for Greg. First of all, he is young. The area where the damage was is small and the rest of his knee looked normal. All those are good signs for a complete recovery from microfracture surgery."

The 7-foot center is expected to be on crutches for up to eight weeks. It likely will take 6 to 12 months for full recovery, the team said.

The Trail Blazers will hold a 4:30 p.m. ET news conference to discuss Oden's situation. The procedure was performed in Vancouver, Wash.

Oden described the knee pain in an entry Tuesday on his personal blog:

"On my vacation earlier this summer i got up off the couch and remember my knee having a sharp pain in it. That was about a month ago. I didn't tell anyone because i didn't want to seem like i was complaining or making excuses for anything. Plus i wasn't doing anything at the time i realized it hurt, so i figured it couldn't be anything big.

"After a couple of weeks, i had to finally tell someone so i went to St. Vincent's Sports Performance (where i worked out at before draft) and got my knee looked at. That was right before i moved to Portland for good. My knee was swollen since i was there. I finally just said that i need to tell my trainer because this is not normal. We went to the doctor's the next day to get a MRI and that night me and my mom ended up in the doctor's office being told that I have to get surgery. It's a light one, just a scoop, but still it's just another setback. I would like for me to be playing and not seem like i'm a high-maintenance player, but things just keep popping up."

This is Oden's second health problem since the Blazers drafted him in June. He had a tonsillectomy in July after struggling in two Las Vegas summer league games.

Oden, despite being hampered by a wrist injury during his freshman (and only) season at Ohio State, averaged 15.7 points and 9.6 rebounds in leading the Buckeyes to the national championship game. He had 25 points and 12 rebounds in the loss to Florida.

The Trail Blazers were the surprise winners of the NBA draft lottery and chose Oden over Texas forward Kevin Durant, who went to Seattle.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I think it is getting real tough to be a Blazer fan these days...

Oden likely out for rookie season after knee surgery

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Celebrated Trail Blazers rookie center Greg Oden, the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, will likely miss the 2007-2008 season after undergoing knee surgery Thursday, the team said.

"Greg had an arthroscopy and a microfracture surgery today," team physician Dr. Don Roberts, who performed the surgery, said in a statement posted on the Trail Blazers' Web site. "He was found to have articular cartilage damage in his right knee. The area of injury was not large and we were able to treat it with microfracture, which stimulates the growth of cartilage.

"There are things about this that are positive for Greg. First of all, he is young. The area where the damage was is small and the rest of his knee looked normal. All those are good signs for a complete recovery from microfracture surgery."

The 7-foot center is expected to be on crutches for up to eight weeks. It likely will take 6 to 12 months for full recovery, the team said.

From the Oregonian website

Portland Trail Blazers No.1 draft pick Greg Oden will miss the 2007-08 season after an exploratory surgery revealed cartilage damage in his right knee.

"Certainly this is a setback, but our future is still incredibly bright," Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard said. "Is it disappointing? Yes. However, this is a great core of talent and players of strong character and will continue to be."

RobbyBox2.jpg

This sucks. I still think that it is the right pick, because, again, it is so much harder to find a good big man. I don't think that this injury will completely ruin his career, but at the same time, who knows... This could be Len Bias, to a much lesser degree, over again...

On the plus side, how does another #1 draft pick sound? Throw the season, Portland.
That didn't work for Boston or Memphis this year. That said, if they want to knock the Sixers out of the all-time record books, I won't mind.

Losing David Robinson won the Spurs the title the next year and is still paying off.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This sucks. I still think that it is the right pick, because, again, it is so much harder to find a good big man. I don't think that this injury will completely ruin his career, but at the same time, who knows... This could be Len Bias, to a much lesser degree, over again...

Len Bias? Not even close. Try Sam Bowie, Ed O' Bannon, or the legendary Chris Washburn.

gallery19.jpg

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I completely disagree. Len Bias tragicly DIED, he didn't miss a season due to injury. Oden will be back.

Also, the Celtics weren't trying to turn the city into a basketball town, they at the time WERE a basketball town.

I completely disagree. Len Bias tragicly DIED, he didn't miss a season due to injury. Oden will be back.

Also, the Celtics weren't trying to turn the city into a basketball town, they at the time WERE a basketball town.

Can Portland be anything besides a basketball town?

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

I know that Bias is a big leap, but I am just trying to say that this might be a chain reaction, possibly leading to Oden never playing. He's injury prone, and because he is such a big investment, they will be cautious w/ him. Any little injury (not that this is a little injury) will be treated like a much larger one. Who knows what will happen... All I am trying to say is that I would not be surprised if this is a much longer injury than being initially reported...

Well they certainly aren't anything compared to what the C's fanbase at the time of Bias was.

Well they certainly aren't anything compared to what the C's fanbase at the time of Bias was.

Disagree. Portland at the height of Rip City mania dwarfed any Bostonian love for the Cs. Portland has nothing else.

Cheer up Portland....at least your team isn't moving! :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Play it Again Sam

s_bowie_i.jpg

Ugh, I can not stand people comparing this to Sam Bowie. Greg Oden is not Sam Bowie. Kevin Durant is not Michael Jordan. He's a 19 year old with a knee injury, so he misses a year, he's back next year and bam, all is well again. Labeling Oden a bust because he suffered an unfortunete injury at the age of NINETEEN, is a bit premature, no?

Archived