Green Sox

swilson160

The Sox have been doing this for three years now, I think, and there are a couple of things they should do that would improve the look and, dare I say, make me want to buy one:

- Add a shamrock or 4-leaf clover as a sleeve patch.

- Instead of making the chest logo, names, and numbers green-on-white, make 'em green-on-silver-on-black.

Man, that's beautiful. Green and black is a fantastic color combination. I just wish some other team would adopt it; I think the White Sox do the best job in baseball of using the color black.

I wouldn't mind the White Sox always wearing green (in some form). I mean why not? They're not married to just black and white, they wore red and blue for all those years...

I also love the look.

This if the third year they wore green jerseys. The previous two years they wore fitted green caps. The first year, some of the players' caps had a white shamrock on the back instead of the MLB logo. Also, I believe the MLB logo on the jerseys was solid green with a white outline. I believe they also had green armbands. Best of all, they wore green batting helmets. The only bad part was everyone wore black socks.

Last year, they kept the fitted caps, and brought out green socks (Thome and Crede wore them). However, they wore the normal black batting helmets. Also, the MLB logo on the jerseys switched to the normal black and silver.

This year, only one of the players had green socks. They wore adjustable caps, and the normal black batting helmets. The sock thing bothers me, but I really hate that they haven't worn green helmets the last two years. I hate when helmets and hats don't match. And with the adjustable hats? If they are going to do that, why bother? They might as well wear their normal pants and a green t-shirt with screenprinted numbers next year.

Why?

Why not?

They do Gigantes and Los Mets latino nights,

An irish night, in a very irish city ain't a bad idea...

Yeh, well I find it unneccesary.

Like the Valentine's Day shirts some NBA teams wear.

I find things like that have an effect on the teams identity.

I wholeheartedly agree. This might be biased coming from a die hard Cubs fan (not the ignoramus kind, mind you) but I really don't understand why they would do it. It looks fine, just doesn't make much sense.

I wholeheartedly agree. This might be biased coming from a die hard Cubs fan (not the ignoramus kind, mind you) but I really don't understand why they would do it. It looks fine, just doesn't make much sense.

Well, the South Side does have a pretty sizeable Irish population, and the South Side Irish Parade is nearly as big of a deal as the City's official parade - it's certainly a bigger deal for the neighborhoods on the south side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Side_Irish

Is it necessary? Of course not. But it's usually pretty well-done. The non-fitted hats are pretty weak, though. They must be saving their money for that big A-Rod contract. :rolleyes:

Why?

Why not?

They do Gigantes and Los Mets latino nights,

An irish night, in a very irish city ain't a bad idea...

Yeh, well I find it unneccesary.

Like the Valentine's Day shirts some NBA teams wear.

I find things like that have an effect on the teams identity.

The Irish have been a part of the White Sox identity long before they started this promotion.

"A green cornerstone was laid [for Comiskey Park] on St. Patrick?s Day."

Ballparks of Baseball

I like the green look, but I would suggest outlining it in black to make it pop more.

I agree that it's a great look. The only reason I wouldn't be in favor of adopting it full time is that the current set is just plain awesome as is. One of the top five sets in MLB, no doubt. As far as people against the promotion, hey, the Irish thing has been mentioned, the fans love it, and green Sox hats sells quite well. Really, is there a huge difference between throwbacks and these one-time things in terms of messing with a team's identity?

The unis are nice, but I never thought of Chicago having that significant of an Irish population. Not to mention when most people think of Chicago, then think of Poles and maybe Greeks. I was under the impression that the Irish had pretty much spurned Chicago for the burbs awhile ago (much like the Polish here in Milwaukee).

I'm not knocking the promotion, I guess I'm having a hard time believing that the Irish are as important to Chicago as they are to, say, Boston or NYC... especially when every city in the Northeast and Great Lakes has an Irish enclave (or at least did at some point). The whole "halfway to St. Patty's day" thing seems like a reach to give significance to what seems like an cheap excuse to peddle green merchandise.

The unis are nice, but I never thought of Chicago having that significant of an Irish population. Not to mention when most people think of Chicago, then think of Poles and maybe Greeks. I was under the impression that the Irish had pretty much spurned Chicago for the burbs awhile ago (much like the Polish here in Milwaukee).

I'm not knocking the promotion, I guess I'm having a hard time believing that the Irish are as important to Chicago as they are to, say, Boston or NYC... especially when every city in the Northeast and Great Lakes has an Irish enclave (or at least did at some point). The whole "halfway to St. Patty's day" thing seems like a reach to give significance to what seems like an cheap excuse to peddle green merchandise.

Two things: Yes, when I think of the "South Side Irish," I think of the suburbs. But, the south suburbs are such a huge source of the Sox' fanbase, that it makes sense to include, and cater to them. St. Patrick's Day is a big deal in Chicago, and the Sox used to wear green on St. Patty's Day, but since that only happened in Spring Training, they decided to bring it to the regular season. And while "Halfway" is kind of a reach, it is somewhat widely celebrated in Chicago (and Champaign, which in terms of the college population at U of I, is basically the southernmost Chicago suburb.

And two: Yes, many cities have significant Irish populations. But, Chicago is #2 or 3 depending on the source in the US, and I think that few cities have the Irish culture as ingrained into the city's culture as much as Chicago does.

Archived